Winch Solenoid Relocation

I relocated mine under the hood mounting it behind the right headlight. I made a bracket from 1/64 steelplate. It rests on a screw shank and is held in place by a nut n bolt behind the headlight bucket. You can see that screw in bob's pic.

I made the cables myself and used 0 AWG making the crimps with a hydraulic crimp tool from HF. I put the cable in loom and the ran shrink tube up about 18" from the end to protect everything. I am really pleased with the outcome.

This is exactly what I was planning on doing too. Making a bracket that mounts to an existing hole in the engine bay somewhere. Could you post pictures up?

Why would you mount the winch solenoid somewhere else other than the top of the winch?

And why would you not want longer cables for the solenoid?

Th solenoid to my M8000 winch is just mounted on top of the winch.

I'm a bit confused.

This is exactly what I was planning on doing too. Making a bracket that mounts to an existing hole in the engine bay somewhere. Could you post pictures up?
See post #40

@lovemachine ... for me it was two reasons, aesthetics and I wanted to get it higher out of the water. When I relocated it I was in Colorado and crossed streams regularly; now that I am in AZ that is not an issue most of the time but I still think I would move it.

Last edited:
Is there anyone else out there with a solenoid mounted somewhere different you would want to share?
Hey, I was wondering if you came up with anything on this topic? Ever get yours mounted up in a good spot or is it still a work in progress?

Hey, I was wondering if you came up with anything on this topic? Ever get yours mounted up in a good spot or is it still a work in progress?
I was fortunate enough to source a winch with the solenoid integrated to the housing protecting it from the elements. Although I do believe the best place for the solenoid is where the tray is on the driver side where the ABS unit is (My TJ did not have ABS).

Reactions: EJD
The solenoid packs on the new (Warn) winches are sealed, but FYI, I ran the old solenoid packs for years right on the winch that weren't sealed, and I grew up in the Pacific North Wet, and never had any issues. I just run my packs right on the winch, and contrary to popular belief, I use my winch without opening my hood. I do put a blanket on the cable. I am not an animal.

Last edited:
The solenoid packs on the new (Warn) winches are sealed, but FYI, I ran the old solenoid packs for years right on the winch that weren't sealed, and I grew up in the Pacific North Wet, and never had any issues.
Yeah i'm not worried about it being exposed to the elements, basically I was going to attempt to fit in the the center area of my brush guard which dimensionally will only fit IF the control pack is not mounted up top. So I was looking for alternate mounting locations nearby...preferably ones that don't make me have to get wire extensions.

Why would you mount the winch solenoid somewhere else other than the top of the winch?

And why would you not want longer cables for the solenoid?

Th solenoid to my M8000 winch is just mounted on top of the winch.

I'm a bit confused.
Thanks, was wondering same. Raising for stream crossing makes perfect sense but I am in SoCal and the only stream here is the Tijuana River. Are there more reasons aside from personal taste?
See post #40

@lovemachine ... for me it was two reasons, aesthetics and I wanted to get it higher out of the water. When I relocated it I was in Colorado and crossed streams regularly; now that I am in AZ that is not an issue most of the time but I still think I would move it.

Thanks, was wondering same. Raising for stream crossing makes perfect sense but I am in SoCal and the only stream here is the Tijuana River. Are there more reasons aside from personal taste?

For me...nope, I like the look and woulda move it anyway.

For me...nope, I like the look and woulda move it anyway.

For me I don't mind the look, but I run a cover anyway so you can't even see it. I would worry less about water. The components are waterproof and the cables can get wet, I would worry more about routing more cables through the core support than them getting wet is what I am trying to say. It was hard enough to pick a route for the main cables in my case.

All of that said, I would be interested in pictures of where you guys are installing it under the hood. Even if I wanted to I don't really have any other place under the hood to install it.

For me I don't mind the look, but I run a cover anyway so you can't even see it. I would worry less about water. The components are waterproof and the cables can get wet, I would worry more about routing more cables through the core support than them getting wet is what I am trying to say. It was hard enough to pick a route for the main cables in my case.

All of that said, I would be interested in pictures of where you guys are installing it under the hood. Even if I wanted to I don't really have any other place under the hood to install it.
C post 40

IMG_7488.JPG
IMG_7489.JPG
IMG_7490.JPG

This is the perfect spot really. I installed this here with no mods to the air box or anything.

Any pictures of what you bolted it too? ^^^
Yeah its not bolted to anything, in fact all I did to get it in that spot was I had to UNbolt the rod above where the control box is (i'm not sure what its actually called), move it over to the side temporarily, then kind of wedge/press it in there. Then re-bolt the rod back down and that actually pins it into place.

It can move slightly in there but hardly moves at all and you could not get it out of that spot without taking that bar off to get it out through the top.

I bet it’s just setting in there. It would be a tight fit and shouldn’t move. I thought about trying that approach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This has to be the best way to do this, it isn't going anywhere. Its held in by tension from all sides and pressure from above, and you still have good access to the controller plug. The hood can be closed completely too with the controller plugged in (if anyone wanted to know).

Last edited:
Reactions: BendLarry
Keep in mind when considering this, heat is the main killer of electronics not water. (at least not when the components are waterproof) the entire under hood area is hot, in particular, close to the rad is even hotter. Next running more high amp wires right beside the rad heats those wires up and increasing their length does so as well. You would be best served by keeping the box on the winch where it belongs but if you do move it, up sizing the wire is a must.

Also the only solinoids I've seen fail on the trail (except ones on the first pull of a brand new winch) were ones that people had relocated under the hood. Once they had been cooled down by opening the hood and leaving them for a while they started working again. That's not to say that all under hood relocations will fail, just that they fail more often then unrelocated ones that may get wet. If you have an older winch with non water tight solinoids consider instead getting a contactor. Runva Canada sells one for 79 canadian to your door. I'm betting in thr US you can find an even better price.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: -T.