Winch Solenoid Relocation

Well sometimes but this is worse....much worse. [Stops short of the hospital pictures]

That gave me a headache just watching that.

That was freaky. In all of the years of wheeling and growing up in an place like that in that video, I have only seen one issue. We were stuck in a little gully and we were trying to winch out. My friend had a full size blazer with dual batteries, and we were using them both to get as much power to the winch as we could. It was not coming out, so we just kept at it. We were all standing on the side of the vehicle, and were using a wired remote. When all of a sudden one of the pinch rollers came flying off, and went in between all of us and missed us all, but we could hear it cracking through trees. We tried to find it and never could. That was pretty crazy too, luckily nobody got hurt. It is a dangerous world out there. Be safe!

Well sometimes but this is worse....much worse. [Stops short of the hospital pictures]

So was this a chain or metal winch line? Either way, anyone that buys a winch should have to watch this video before they ever use the winch for the first time. I have a winch that I will be installing on my TJ soon. And any and every time I use that winch, I will think of this video, and will do one of two things because of it...use the remote controller standing far off to the side,, or if I have to be inside the vehicle, the hood will be up. And my winch has a synthetic line...don't care...still going to take the precaution... This video made me a little sick to my stomache...

So was this a chain or metal winch line? Either way, anyone that buys a winch should have to watch this video before they ever use the winch for the first time. I have a winch that I will be installing on my TJ soon. And any and every time I use that winch, I will think of this video, and will do one of two things because of it...use the remote controller standing far off to the side,, or if I have to be inside the vehicle, the hood will be up. And my winch has a synthetic line...don't care...still going to take the precaution... This video made me a little sick to my stomache...
So that wasn't a winch line, anyone who uses a winch like that is just asking to be removed from the gene pool. The reason recovery straps don't have metal hooks on the end is to prevent things like this. Using the remote in a situation like that is more likely to cause a failure as unless you are in the truck you can't help it along with gas.
I'm not personally a fan of the hood up idea as it blocks my view of what's happening and I therefore loose control of the situation. However I'm a big fan of putting something on the winch line even if it's just some large branches, anything to absorb recoil.

Another thing to keep in mind with synthetic is that it tends to recoil in a straight line, so it will end up back at the bumper.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Reactions: -T. and ac_
So that wasn't a winch line, anyone who uses a winch like that is just asking to be removed from the gene pool. The reason recovery straps don't have metal hooks on the end is to prevent things like this. Using the remote in a situation like that is more likely to cause a failure as unless you are in the truck you can't help it along with gas.
I'm not personally a fan of the hood up idea as it blocks my view of what's happening and I therefore loose control of the situation. However I'm a big fan of putting something on the winch line even if it's just some large branches, anything to absorb recoil.

Another thing to keep in mind with synthetic is that it tends to recoil in a straight line, so it will end up back at the bumper.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

I tend to agree with you. I get the premise of having the hood open, but I never have (especially stuck on rocks where it is so easy to go over sideways.) I do put a blanket on the line and tend to do light bursts to get me just unstuck. I suppose if I was super stuck like that guy I might consider putting the hood up. It is not like you are going to drift out of your lane. I also use clevises (attached to the vehicle) to hold straps if necessary, but here in AZ I tend to not be stuck like that guy either. Although in the Pacific Northwet I have seen my share of that.

Why would you mount the winch solenoid somewhere else other than the top of the winch?

And why would you not want longer cables for the solenoid?

Th solenoid to my M8000 winch is just mounted on top of the winch.

I'm a bit confused.
I don't understand the reason for relocating a factory design. WTF is going on here???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Here’s my take. Some winches have the control box mounted on the top center of the winch. Some like the M8000 have it mounted on the passenger side of the winch. It’s a aesthetic thing. I’m going to move mine on my M8000 for that reason. I think it will look better. If i could move it to the center/top of the winch i would do that instead so that i would not have to make up some longer cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 05 Blue Unlimited
I don't understand the reason for relocating a factory design. WTF is going on here???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
I just like mine under the hood and out of the weather.
And a bit more protected from trail shit or ...
It looks sort of retro that way to, reminiscent of an old winch.

20170325_112748.jpg

Reactions: Sam Solo
In my case I was relocating it because I was trying to nest the winch within my brush guard. So mounting it in its normal spot is not possible.
IMG_7513.JPG