Winch Wiring Advice

Look at a Tractor Supply or farm and ranch type store. They typically have those connectors with the heavy gauge tractor/automotive wiring.

They are called Anderson connectors/clamps, and are used alot in the battery powered forklifts. Princess Auto has them under a different name.

Mine are the warn factory 2 gauge leads. It was tight, but being as it was tight with the headlight bucket I was confident running it this way. The wires can still be pulled freely in and out the the rear of the headlight hole. I routed mine exactly as shown below:

View attachment 26741

I looked at routing mine that way but decided there was too many sheet metal edges so I went under the grill and along the inside of the frame. I connected my winch directly to the battery but a switch or high amperage circuit breakers would provide circuit protection. You could also install a continuous duty solenoid and use a switch inside to turn it on. The 9.5 cti has a 450 amp draw so a switch would have to be rated or use two solenoids to split the load.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0064MX7US/?tag=wranglerorg-20

I just installed a winch so this post is informational for me and I guess I'm trying to determine why all this is necessary.

When is the possibility of a winch fire going to happen? Under use or a short right?

Under use high current would be pulled by the motor and the more load on the motor the more current drawn. Just killing power to the winch motor would cut it's power. This could be done in a few way I guess .. 1) disconnect the winch controller 2) remove the positive (+) battery lead or 3) cut the positive (+) cable. Now I guess you could have a part fail inside the winch like a stuck solenoid or something that would cause the motor to drive without command, but what is the likelihood of that happening and would it draw enough power to start a fire?

A short would be the biggest potential for fire if the heavy positive (+) winch power cable were to get cut and short to ground? If that were to happen you would need to remove power from that cable, and how can that be accomplished? I see that it would have to be done at the battery, a disconnect at the winch would not help if the short to ground was between the battery and the disconnect, so either way you would need to open the hood and quickly remove the positive (+) cable from the battery.

The way I see it is if you route your cables in a way that they can never get cut your chance of a fire are gone unless the winch malfunctions and draws enough current to melt the power cable.

So what everyone needs is the quickest way to disconnect the battery cable, right?

Am I missing something here? Please help educate.

Big cable cutters is the quickest way.

There is no way in hell I'd run huge cables all the fuck way to the front of the vehicle without at least some kind of circuit protection. My career in electrical/electronics tells me that's sheer idiocy. By all means, protect the cable as best as you can, but put a damn fuse or CB for it near the battery. I also put a 500 amp solenoid in for additional safety, but that's not nearly as important as the fuse although one alone is far better than nothing. Both are installed in such a way that they can be easily bypassed in case of emergency.

For those who squawk about starter circuits not needing such protection - the wiring there is far shorter and far better protected. Run a loop to the very front of the vehicle and get back to me. You do NOT want an unprotected, ultra low impedance power source arcing after a collision and/or due to wire chafing.

• Love
Reactions: Jerry Bransford
I looked at routing mine that way but decided there was too many sheet metal edges so I went under the grill and along the inside of the frame. I connected my winch directly to the battery but a switch or high amperage circuit breakers would provide circuit protection. You could also install a continuous duty solenoid and use a switch inside to turn it on. The 9.5 cti has a 450 amp draw so a switch would have to be rated or use two solenoids to split the load.
In my personal opinion adding anything to the winch between it and the battery just adds more potential points of failure. The starter motor doesn't have or need relays, or a fuse either, and the motors inside winches are essentially starter motors. Look at the wiring instructions for any Jeep size winch and you'll notice they all say one thing, connect it directly to the battery.

Reactions: L J
In my personal opinion adding anything to the winch between it and the battery just adds more potential points of failure. The starter motor doesn't have or need relays, or a fuse either, and the motors inside winches are essentially starter motors. Look at the wiring instructions for any Jeep size winch and you'll notice they all say one thing, connect it directly to the battery.

My winch is wired directly to the battery also. I agree also on the failure points.

Hey Jerry,

I'm working on piecing together everything I need for a winch and this might be a silly question: would there be any downside to getting some black garden hose, cutting it to length and fishing the disassembled winch wire through it? This way there is the added protection the entire length of the cable?

when my winch leads rubbed through and shortened out killing my battery i bought some rubber transmission hose and ran each cable through it all the way from winch to battery. each cable being in their own hose to isolate them from each other. i used silicone on the winch end to keep water out of the hose ends. no more chafed cables.

Reactions: NskLJ and Wildman
when my winch leads rubbed through and shortened out killing my battery i bought some rubber transmission hose and ran each cable through it all the way from winch to battery. each cable being in their own hose to isolate them from each other. i used silicone on the winch end to keep water out of the hose ends. no more chafed cables.

This thread has me thinking I need some chafe protection for my winch cables. One more thing on the list.....

This thread has me thinking I need some chafe protection for my winch cables. One more thing on the list.....
It's hard to beat the protection and low cost of a couple short sections of old garden hose. Actually what I did was use a short length from the end of a fairly new garden hose and just installed a replacement connector from Home Depot on the 2' shorter hose.

It's hard to beat the protection and low cost of a couple short sections of old garden hose. Actually what I did was use a short length from the end of a fairly new garden hose and just installed a replacement connector from Home Depot on the 2' shorter hose.

But - what color? ;)

Yes and no. If you have to route them in such a manner that they will encounter a wear point, then take care of that point. It doesn't take much to avoid that and only rarely are there unavoidable places where it can't be helped and those you protect.

I see very little clean routing and it just isn't that hard to do. We normally bring them under the grill with enough slack to not touch the top of the bumper or bottom of grill, then turn and go straight up almost immediately right behind the grill on the inner fender. A few clamps to hold that routing and then turn and go back to the battery on top of the fender. Usually one or both go under the PDC mount which acts nicely as a good restraint. Then to the battery with the leads cut to length and new lugs crimped and sealed. We have never had a single issue doing it that way.

Most of my wiring know how comes from working with an aircraft electrical engineer from Texas when I worked at the ambulance company. He had some rules I kept that have served me well.

the transmission hose i used was expensive but, should last for many years. first thought was to use plastic wire loom but, that stuff degrades over time.

Other than the shit loom from parts stores and the 10 bucks for 2000 feet suppliers, there is a lot of good stuff out there that doesn't degrade. I don't like the bulk of other stuff so I just use loom without the split on the positive ONLY when I have to loom it, rest of the time it is bare.

Reactions: txbemis69 and Zorba
Other than the shit loom from parts stores and the 10 bucks for 2000 feet suppliers, there is a lot of good stuff out there that doesn't degrade. I don't like the bulk of other stuff so I just use loom without the split on the positive ONLY when I have to loom it, rest of the time it is bare.

after the positive lead had rubbed bare at the grill and toasted a almost new battery i wasn’t taking any chances. most loom around these parts doesn’t last but a couple of years when exposed to the elements.

Reactions: Viking Jeeper