Winch wiring issue

TarHeeLJ

Supporting Member
Ok so my winch was working fine. PO had a rats nest of cable behind the stereo. I was working to clean everything up and I removed this (what I thought was a) fuse section. It didn’t appear to be doing anything. Immediately after, my winch won’t work. Any idea of the correct way to wire it back in?

Winch is a Smitty Built XRC 9,500. Has an arming toggle and a winch in/out button in the cab. Also has a remote.

Any wisdom would be appreciated.

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

IMG_4805.jpeg

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4801.jpeg

IMG_4798.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: flyinfish
That's a nice touch with wire nuts and green electrical cord. :D
Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay!

9500 XRC.jpg

Last edited:
The wireless controller in schematic is basically the dash in/out switch in your application.

Thanks flyinfish. Yes the PO expressed he was a master at wiring :). I have been removing wire nuts and soldering in connections with shrink tubing but not until I am sure its working. I was removing a subwoofer that the PO has installed under the rear seat. Lots and lots of multi connection wire nuts. That is where the black and yellow item was removed (I thought it was part of the sub).

After doing all that, the winch doesn't work. The USB device next the winch switch is getting power.

Looking at your diagram, I dont see the need for yellow and black device that was wired in some where. Do you agree?

I do have a remote that plugs in directly to the solenoid module, it doesn't work either...

Reactions: flyinfish
Thanks flyinfish. Yes the PO expressed he was a master at wiring :). I have been removing wire nuts and soldering in connections with shrink tubing but not until I am sure its working. I was removing a subwoofer that the PO has installed under the rear seat. Lots and lots of multi connection wire nuts. That is where the black and yellow item was removed (I thought it was part of the sub).

After doing all that, the winch doesn't work. The USB device next the winch switch is getting power.

Looking at your diagram, I dont see the need for yellow and black device that was wired in some where. Do you agree?

I do have a remote that plugs in directly to the solenoid module, it doesn't work either...

I wouldn't solder, use good crimp terminals and good crimpers with either adhesive lined connectors or adhesive lined shrink tubing slid over connector.

Not sure what that module is for besides a RF filter. It's not needed for your winch.

Reactions: JMT

The box you pulled out looks like a noise filter for the radio. Probably old and left in the dash

Last edited:
Problem solved. Embarrassed to admit there was a small inline fuse in the control box. It was blown. Once I replaced, all working again. Thanks for all the responses!

You probably blew the fuse when tearing out some of that spaghetti. ;)