Wind Rock Off-Road Park West of Knoxville, TN

Jeep Geezer

Supporting Member
Back around the end of November my son who owns a Polaris RZR 900 and myself went to WindRock off road park which is located about forty miles west of Knoxville TN. I brought along my brother-in-law Steve who was visiting from Alaska, and his son Nick who lives near me in Chattanooga and owns a video production business. Nick produced the video linked below. WindRock is about 72k acres of mountainous terrain with lots of trails with varying degrees of difficulty. I will be in Moab for TJ Fest with the TJ shown in the video, a 2002 with 4.0 6 cylinder, automatic transmission, no lockers. Hope you enjoy the video.

I've been meaning to make it to Windrock. Was going to go last year until everything started to shut down. I've got a friend that takes XJs and SXSs multiple times a year and it looks like a great place to wheel and explore.

Where in the east is there a few days worth of trails and a cool town to hang out in at night?

Windrock definitely has a lot of trails and a huge campground. At windrock you can explore out to the train, the flats, windmills, etc... It also has Nemo's tunnel near by. Oliver Springs and Oak Ridge are nothing to write home about, Knoxville is one of my favorites and we have actually stayed in Knoxville when wheeling windrock, but that is a pretty long drive back and forth and I don't really recommend it.

I have actually never wheeled anywhere outside of TN, AR, and AL so my above question is legit (not being a smartass). I also live in the middle of the damn country and it is a drive for me to go east as well as west. So is there anyplace in the east that is large enough to ride trails for a few days and also has a town nearby to grab a beer and burger in the evenings?

...Oliver Springs and Oak Ridge are nothing to write home about...

Ever since I moved from Texas to Tennessee 31years ago I have wanted to see Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I drive by Oak Ridge and say "next time out this way, I'm going to stop". Thirty one years later I have not been. Has anyone ever toured ORNL? Is it worth it?

Ever since I moved from Texas to Tennessee 31years ago I have wanted to see Oak Ridge National Laboratory. I drive by Oak Ridge and say "next time out this way, I'm going to stop". Thirty one years later I have not been. Has anyone ever toured ORNL? Is it worth it?
Are you asking as a regular civilian or as a person with other credentials?

Also, I’m in for a non-hardcore wheeling adventure. I’m much better at talking trash and helping than I am climbing a mountain. I’m always up for meeting new friends, especially now that my Jeep is back together.

Are you asking as a regular civilian or as a person with other credentials?

Also, I’m in for a non-hardcore wheeling adventure. I’m much better at talking trash and helping than I am climbing a mountain. I’m always up for meeting new friends, especially now that my Jeep is back together.

There are plenty of trails for any level of excitement. I was out there for 2 days with a friend in a JK with open front, limited slip rear, small lift and 32 or 33s. We had no trouble finding the right level of trail that was fun and exciting. There are 3 badge of honor trails if you are interested in that.

Reactions: Midtenn
Has anyone ever toured ORNL? Is it worth it?

as a civilian that wont happen.... there is a visitor center and oak ridge museum and what not but the actual lab you can't even get on the road without clearance, and if you stop on the road going to the road you will be meet by some friendly folks quiet quickly.

Where in the east is there a few days worth of trails and a cool town to hang out in at night?

Windrock definitely has a lot of trails and a huge campground. At windrock you can explore out to the train, the flats, windmills, etc... It also has Nemo's tunnel near by. Oliver Springs and Oak Ridge are nothing to write home about, Knoxville is one of my favorites and we have actually stayed in Knoxville when wheeling windrock, but that is a pretty long drive back and forth and I don't really recommend it.

I have actually never wheeled anywhere outside of TN, AR, and AL so my above question is legit (not being a smartass). I also live in the middle of the damn country and it is a drive for me to go east as well as west. So is there anyplace in the east that is large enough to ride trails for a few days and also has a town nearby to grab a beer and burger in the evenings?
https://harlancountytrails.com/blackmountain-trails.php
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/nfsnc/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=48934&actid=93