Window crank removal

Goatman

TJ Expert
Supporting Member
Have to pop off the door panels to do a bit of rust removal. I'm guessing I need that fork like tool used on most door and window handles. I knew where it was until I now need it. Is there any other way to get those window cranks off? Or do I need to go rummaging through my garage again?

It can be done with basic hand tools but it's a PItA.. I've personally used a flat blade screw driver and a hook pick in the past.

Get yourself an old dustpan or something plastic similar thickness about 1/16" heavy to 1/8" can even be a piece of metal. Cut you a V in it about 2" deep start at 1" taper to 1/4" at 2" depth. Similar to one in pic(actually tool for removing those push in clips) but have used it for 30yrs to remove window handles whenever needed. All your looking for is something to barely push on 2 ends of clip opening it slightly and handle will pop right off. Ezy pzy.

IMG_0626.JPG

Or your just just pick up a set of like 4 different ones and has both the one for window handles and like I show for like $6-7 at Harbor Freight.

https://www.harborfreight.com/4-pie...BPR59AgCc7U-V4CPpCr04UtLwYfcFmmBoCFGkQAvD_BwE
Well I searched all the garages and all 3 barns. No can find. Must have loaned it out.🙄 Anyway ordered a new one😁. Was there life before Amazon?🤔 It must have been a dark and scary time. Spending half a day driving place to place hoping to find what you need.🤬 Like life before cordless screwdrivers! Remember back then? Everybody had carpal tunnel syndrome and huge forearms!😭

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
I did not receive my window crank removal tool yet, so I just reached in between crank and plastic washer with a long curved pick and hooked the looped end and pulled it right out.