Windrock Jan 2023

gasiorv

I'm a new world samurai, and a redneck nonetheless
Supporting Member
This is our third year doing a January trip to East TN and the third year that we got snow. This year we headed to Windrock for our annual "Freeze Fest". Left Memphis on a warm sunny Thursday morning, got to Nashville and had lunch with my nephew and then the weather drastically changed as I headed East from there. In Lebanon TN I pulled in for gas (luckily) and while pumping it started to pour rain and then it turned to pea and grape size hail for about 10 min straight.

Luckily I was under the gas station awning when it was hailing.
PXL_20230112_194245980.jpg

PXL_20230112_194304827.jpg

Fri was supposed to be cold and sunny. It started with a drizzle, then sleet, and then eventually snow. Everything was slick and muddy but it was a great time and much better than working on a Friday.

We did Trail 22 to 21 to 15. At the top of 15 we had a driveshaft break, luckily it was at the last step at the top and it was the last Rig in line. With how slick everything was all day we decided to hit a few "easier" trails after dinner and took Trail 16 where it started to snow pretty good. At the top of Trail 16 (which gains some elevation) it was snowing and sticking. While we were out playing in the snow, Knoxville Driveline stayed open late and hooked up Scott with a new driveshaft!!

Trail 16 and G1

Saturday morning we headed straight to Walden Ridge to start the day. The base of the mountain had a dusting of snow but as you drove up the mountain there was more and more snow on the ground. Later in the day we were up on Trail 50 and there was about 2" of snow, pretty nice and scenic views from up there.

Walden Ridge is a rather long trail with the first section being up on a spine with a very big drop off on both sides. It is not really that technical of a trail, but it is a real mind freak and the drop offs really mess with your mind.

Here is the gatekeeper where you first climb up to the ridge, once you come up over the first obstacle, there is a very big drop off on the other side (hundreds of feet big), the videos don't do it justice. In this video, the drop off is just feet away on the passenger side, it is mentally exhausting.

Walden Ridge Gatekeeper

After you do this gatekeeper (which does have a bypass), you drop down off the ridge and then have to climb back up over a pretty steep slab. With it being wet, snowing, and no traction, I just winched up the slab to get back onto the actual spline section of the ridge. Once back up you continue down the spline with big drop offs on both sides and then you have to roll off a drop that looks very, very intimidating but actually was not that bad. Having a good spotter really helped!!

Edit - See Post 4 for correct video)

After you come off the spline, the trail continues for quite a while with a few technical features, but it is mostly just trail riding. For the day we did Walden Ridge (Trail 75), then we headed over to try and hit Trail 51 (Panther Rock) but it was log jammed with a bunch of Overlanding type rigs, so we headed up to Trail 50 and then eventually made it back to camp. After dinner we headed back out to hit Trail 15 again, but this day Trail 15 was a little different with the mud now being ice. Within 300 ft we had a Samurai on it's side and then about 50 feet later my jeep was on it's side. I slid down into a very deep ditch and it took out my rear passenger valve stem when I tried to drive it to see if it would right it self the bead quickly broke loose. After winching it somewhat straight and jacking the ass end we were able to install a new valve stem and reseat the bead. We continued to the top successfully making it through the rocky steps but once at the top I noticed my jeep wasn't "sitting" right so I jumped out and found a front upper control arm disconnected. We decided to secure it up out of the way and then to head back to camp which was a wise choice!!

Pic on top of walden ridge>
(unfortunately they don't really show the drop offs on both sides, but believe me they are there!!)
PXL_20230114_174131159.jpg

PXL_20230114_174216223.jpg

(

Last edited:
Huh, I just watched the one video of the walden ridge spline and youtube cut off the end. Most likely something I did wrong. i will have to see if I can fix that later.

Always wanted to do Walden’s ridge, or maybe ride / walk it, the videos make it look intense! Panthers rock when wet and slick is a slog, honestly I didn’t think the trail itself was anything special but it does come to a nice overlook

Haven't made it to windrock, yet!, But trail 75 is one I'm really wanting to tackle.

Looks like a good time despite the weather.

Reactions: SvtLdr
This is our third year doing a January trip to East TN and the third year that we got snow. This year we headed to Windrock for our annual "Freeze Fest". Left Memphis on a warm sunny Thursday morning, got to Nashville and had lunch with my nephew and then the weather drastically changed as I headed East from there. In Lebanon TN I pulled in for gas (luckily) and while pumping it started to pour rain and then it turned to pea and grape size hail for about 10 min straight.

Luckily I was under the gas station awning when it was hailing.
View attachment 392406

View attachment 392407

Fri was supposed to be cold and sunny. It started with a drizzle, then sleet, and then eventually snow. Everything was slick and muddy but it was a great time and much better than working on a Friday.

We did Trail 22 to 21 to 15. At the top of 15 we had a driveshaft break, luckily it was at the last step at the top and it was the last Rig in line. With how slick everything was all day we decided to hit a few "easier" trails after dinner and took Trail 16 where it started to snow pretty good. At the top of Trail 16 (which gains some elevation) it was snowing and sticking. While we were out playing in the snow, Knoxville Driveline stayed open late and hooked up Scott with a new driveshaft!!

Trail 16 and G1

Saturday morning we headed straight to Walden Ridge to start the day. The base of the mountain had a dusting of snow but as you drove up the mountain there was more and more snow on the ground. Later in the day we were up on Trail 50 and there was about 2" of snow, pretty nice and scenic views from up there.

Walden Ridge is a rather long trail with the first section being up on a spine with a very big drop off on both sides. It is not really that technical of a trail, but it is a real mind freak and the drop offs really mess with your mind.

Here is the gatekeeper where you first climb up to the ridge, once you come up over the first obstacle, there is a very big drop off on the other side (hundreds of feet big), the videos don't do it justice. In this video, the drop off is just feet away on the passenger side, it is mentally exhausting.

Walden Ridge Gatekeeper

After you do this gatekeeper (which does have a bypass), you drop down off the ridge and then have to climb back up over a pretty steep slab. With it being wet, snowing, and no traction, I just winched up the slab to get back onto the actual spline section of the ridge. Once back up you continue down the spline with big drop offs on both sides and then you have to roll off a drop that looks very, very intimidating but actually was not that bad. Having a good spotter really helped!!

Edit - See Post 4 for correct video)

After you come off the spline, the trail continues for quite a while with a few technical features, but it is mostly just trail riding. For the day we did Walden Ridge (Trail 75), then we headed over to try and hit Trail 51 (Panther Rock) but it was log jammed with a bunch of Overlanding type rigs, so we headed up to Trail 50 and then eventually made it back to camp. After dinner we headed back out to hit Trail 15 again, but this day Trail 15 was a little different with the mud now being ice. Within 300 ft we had a Samurai on it's side and then about 50 feet later my jeep was on it's side. I slid down into a very deep ditch and it took out my rear passenger valve stem when I tried to drive it to see if it would right it self the bead quickly broke loose. After winching it somewhat straight and jacking the ass end we were able to install a new valve stem and reseat the bead. We continued to the top successfully making it through the rocky steps but once at the top I noticed my jeep wasn't "sitting" right so I jumped out and found a front upper control arm disconnected. We decided to secure it up out of the way and then to head back to camp which was a wise choice!!

Pic on top of walden ridge>
(unfortunately they don't really show the drop offs on both sides, but believe me they are there!!)
View attachment 392420

View attachment 392421
(

Super impressive tackling some of those trails in the snow! How did trail 21 go for you? I've only been on that one when it's been really dry. The big ledge climb (mid-trail ish) can be tricky.

Only three (3) of us attempted that ledge and all three of us winched. It was like an ice rink. The approach to that ledge is getting really sketchy and has slid a little. With no trees to catch you if you slide off it is a little nerve wracking and the other three rigs chose to turn around and go back down that muddy rutted out hill than attempt the ledge.

Only three (3) of us attempted that ledge and all three of us winched. It was like an ice rink. The approach to that ledge is getting really sketchy and has slid a little. With no trees to catch you if you slide off it is a little nerve wracking and the other three rigs chose to turn around and go back down that muddy rutted out hill than attempt the ledge.

Yup, that sounds about right. Even when it's bone dry there's very little margin for error. We've met multiple groups of rigs on that trail who had opted to turn back rather than getting past that ledge and pushing on. That spot is definitely not for the faint of heart.

IMG_20221010_075514.png

I’ll be heading to Windrock for the 1st time March with some peeps. I think the main trail we’re going to do is 16. Not sure when I’ll be back so I want to do as much as I can over the weekend. Should and looks like it’ll be a good time.

I’ll be heading to Windrock for the 1st time March with some peeps. I think the main trail we’re going to do is 16. Not sure when I’ll be back so I want to do as much as I can over the weekend. Should and looks like it’ll be a good time.

Trail 16 is a fun one. Have a great time!

Windrock is BIG!! Windrock can also change within minutes if it starts raining and a relative easily trail can become a winch fest. Trail 16 is a good cruising trail which you can hit pretty fast from the parking lot. So is Trail 22. The end of Trail 16 can be a little bit of a challenge if it is muddy. Be sure to cruise out to the "Flats" one evening, it is pretty far from campground so you can take trails one way and roads the other. If you take the trails out, you can hit some blues and blacks off of the gravel roads and make it a day to get there, then take the roads back.

List of Tough Trails that are on my list to do, but I only advise if you are in a built rig or don't mind beating on yours:
Trail 15, 46 (lil mule), 38 (lil school bus), 47 (Rattle Rock), 39 (Cadillac Hill), 75 (Walden's Ridge), 23 (Atomic Ridge)

Somewhat linked trails that are easily done on 35s with Lockers:
22, 21, 44, 43, 35, 36, 19

My map fell apart during this last snow trip so I can't give you anymore info that that. I can say that Blues are all good to go (may be a little grown in during summer but doable). Blacks can go either way, you can hit a black and wonder why it was black, and then you can hit a black and be winching all day. The rutted out up hills are far worse than any rock features (but that may just be my personal opinion and my hatred of deep ruts) and thus a black trail on a dry day may be a piece of cake but if it rains you quickly figure out why it is black. Don't go on a Red (double black diamond) without a built rig that you are willing to beat on.

Other good info is that they sell gas on-site, it is a little more than in town (but it is enthanol free) and it is a credit card pump that is open 24-7. Big Ed's pizza in town is pretty good. They are super strict on Alcohol and will check your coolers for beer, etc... before you hit the trails.

Have Fun!!

Windrock is BIG!! Windrock can also change within minutes if it starts raining and a relative easily trail can become a winch fest. Trail 16 is a good cruising trail which you can hit pretty fast from the parking lot. So is Trail 22. The end of Trail 16 can be a little bit of a challenge if it is muddy. Be sure to cruise out to the "Flats" one evening, it is pretty far from campground so you can take trails one way and roads the other. If you take the trails out, you can hit some blues and blacks off of the gravel roads and make it a day to get there, then take the roads back.

List of Tough Trails that are on my list to do, but I only advise if you are in a built rig or don't mind beating on yours:
Trail 15, 46 (lil mule), 38 (lil school bus), 47 (Rattle Rock), 39 (Cadillac Hill), 75 (Walden's Ridge), 23 (Atomic Ridge)

Somewhat linked trails that are easily done on 35s with Lockers:
22, 21, 44, 43, 35, 36, 19

My map fell apart during this last snow trip so I can't give you anymore info that that. I can say that Blues are all good to go (may be a little grown in during summer but doable). Blacks can go either way, you can hit a black and wonder why it was black, and then you can hit a black and be winching all day. The rutted out up hills are far worse than any rock features (but that may just be my personal opinion and my hatred of deep ruts) and thus a black trail on a dry day may be a piece of cake but if it rains you quickly figure out why it is black. Don't go on a Red (double black diamond) without a built rig that you are willing to beat on.

Other good info is that they sell gas on-site, it is a little more than in town (but it is enthanol free) and it is a credit card pump that is open 24-7. Big Ed's pizza in town is pretty good. They are super strict on Alcohol and will check your coolers for beer, etc... before you hit the trails.

Have Fun!!

Good advice here! @gasiorv should put together a "Welcome to Windrock" packet! No joke, he's pretty much covered it all. :)

Just a few things that I would add.
- Another scenic spot to check out is the windmills. Just take P1 to trail G2. It's really scenic up there and a little closer to the General Store.

- I haven't been up on Atomic Ridge (trail 23) in a few years. The last time we attempted that one we got to a point where a landslide had literally taken the trail out / shoved it down the mountain. The folks before us that had continued on past that point decided to climb some SERIOUS ledges to get over to the other side of the mountain and pick the trail back up. It was going to be a winch-fest for us and anything else that wasn't a rock bouncer or built turbo'd Razer. We opted to turn back which was a bummer because the trail to that point was really fun.

- Another favorite place that we visit every year is the Warden's Table restaurant at the old Brushy Mountain Penitentiary in Petros. This place is super cool if you're into historical places. We love it because you can take trails all the way to Petros, pop out for some BBQ and drinks, then jump back onto the trails if you want. You can also take paved roads if you prefer.

-We've had really good luck using the mobile version of the park map. It's available on their website, you have to pay for it but it's nice because it works even when you're stuck in a holler without mobile service.

Cheers!

Thanks for that gents. My group is supposed to meet up in a few weeks to go over trails and food options(we are renting one of the bigger cabins on property). This particular group did Windrock last year in March and said at one point, a hail/thunderstorm rolled in and made trails harder. I guess that’s the nature of the mountains.

I personally want to try the harder trails but overall its a group decision it seems. We are mostly active military or veterans so I think taking risks on harder trails will happen, lol. I think they talked about night wheeling as well which would be a 1st for me but I’m down for anything. I probably will be trailering the Jeep out their as it’s a 5-6hr drive.

Thanks for that gents. My group is supposed to meet up in a few weeks to go over trails and food options(we are renting one of the bigger cabins on property). This particular group did Windrock last year in March and said at one point, a hail/thunderstorm rolled in and made trails harder. I guess that’s the nature of the mountains.

I personally want to try the harder trails but overall its a group decision it seems. We are mostly active military or veterans so I think taking risks on harder trails will happen, lol. I think they talked about night wheeling as well which would be a 1st for me but I’m down for anything. I probably will be trailering the Jeep out their as it’s a 5-6hr drive.

Night wheeling is the best! Windrock was my first experience with that also, I remember being apprehensive at first. Now it's become one of our favorite activities, especially at Windrock. Have a great trip! Stay safe.

Reactions: Jamesval035
I was just at Windrock this past august for the first time, so much fun!

We were there for a whole week and hit it pretty hard everyday and it still felt like we barely scratched the surface!

Can’t imagine it with some snow on the ground…. A little rain can change the difficulty pretty quick!

We are planning to return again this year in august, I may need to pick your brain on some trails and of the info.

A very fun park for sure!

Besides paying 7.99 for a 7 day Windrock map pass, anyone have any good resources on the interwebs of a Windrock map?

I am still old school paper and just buy a paper map when I go. They don't last the trip though, end up getting wet and tearing up.