Windshield frame comparison: Omix-ADA vs Crown

Ferngalv

Hi!

I need to replace my winshied frame on my '04 TJ Sport due to rust on the bottom.

While pricewise it is not even a question, Crown would be the one. Qualitywise, assuming pricier means better, should I consider the Omix-ADA?:
  1. 2004 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) Crown Automotive Steel Windshield Frame - 55395014AB — $404
  2. 2004 Jeep Wrangler (TJ) Omix-ADA Windshield Frame - 12006.11 — $780
Your advice will be highly appreciated; since I am still a neophyte about the TJ world.

Thanks!

This might be an interesting thread.

I don't know about the TJ windshield frames but when I asked around about the windshield frame for my CJ5 (1969-1975) I heard nothing but stay away from both Crown and Omix-ADA. Both were priced around $200 and no one suggested better brand. Two years later I'm still randomly looking for a decent original.

Its worth flipping down your windshield and checking for rust. I found some I wasn't really excepting. Jeep is great at producing vehicles that are exceptionally vulnerable to rust(essentially by not painting steel areas that get exposed to moisture. Its to bad for us jeep lovers at times. Also I have been told its hard to beat getting a factory wind shield frame, I have been told they are indeed the best option for a replacement. Much easier to try and find a spot that wrecks jeep and tell him to let ya know when he get the same color wind shield in, and give you a call! I just did the same thing the other day in fact. Good luck

Reactions: matkal
First I cut out the bad spots, then I bought a repair panel for $70 bucks on Ebay, problem solved.

windshield frame.jpg

panel (1).jpg

Some cut out the whole bottom, I kept the solid parts after treating those areas. Below are photos of what others did.

repair.jpg

repair panel.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
Can I say option C?
A good used one and paint it.
I'm not a fan of Omix-Ada and Crown is even worse.

If you insisted only buying one of those two and twisted my arm...

Omix-Ada
The 2003-2006 used frames that I found when I was looking were as bad or worse then mine was, and I looked at a lot of used ones. For some reason the 1997-2002 frames didn't rust, or didn't rust as much but trying to cut slots to make it fit my 2004 was more then I wanted to tackle. Then of course even if I found one that was silver it was a different shade in the older TJ's so I just went with the repair panel.

I bet there are a lot of 2003-2006 Jeep owners here that would be shocked if they looked at the bottom of their windshield frame. The water gets between the frame, and the rubber then it rots out.

Reactions: Rubicon88
I bet there are a lot of 2003-2006 Jeep owners here that would be shocked if they looked at the bottom of their windshield frame. The water gets between the frame, and the rubber then it rots out.
I agree 100 percent. Most have no idea they've large gaping holes at the bottom of that frame and the wind noise just got gradually worse so they don't really notice.

Mine is shot to all hell.

I've got a 2001(ish) in green I need modify to fit a 2004 then hit it with PR4. It's in perfect shape minus the windshield and paint.

Why avoid aftermarket? Fitting or sealing issues? I recently had bodywork done at a shop and the owner of the shop wanted to find a original frame for the windshield really badly, but ended up going aftermarket.

Why avoid aftermarket?

Cheap crap medal from China.

When I got new front fenders, I decided to have a shop near me that only does powder coating do the fenders with three coats. Those fenders should out last me.

If I had got a new windshield frame I would have had them powder coated to stiffen them up. That would've of been a lot of money on top of the cost of the frame itself.

Reactions: 97' 4 Popper
First I cut out the bad spots, then I bought a repair panel for $70 bucks on Ebay, problem solved.

View attachment 243319

View attachment 243320
Some cut out the whole bottom, I kept the solid parts after treating those areas. Below are photos of what others did.

View attachment 243326

View attachment 243327
Wow dude what a solid idea. My rust looks minimal and I’m sure this is the route I should take. Do you have the link for this part or model #? If I can find one - you’re a life saver.

As an example of how bad it can be, here’s a pic of my 04
7D68FD98-AE6C-4147-AF25-F8DA9B5DE976.jpeg

I bought an early model frame and cut the slots in it and had it painted. If I had to do it all over again I’d hold out for year and color. But you gotta do what you gotta do 👍🏻

I so much need to fold mine down and check...
no rust anywhere else, but now I'm afraid!