Windshield legalness

JWjeepSask

TJ Enthusiast
Is it legal to drive around with your windshield folded down? I've heard mixed answers before but just curious to see what all of you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard that in Canada that the windshield laws are exactly the same for 4-tired vehicles as it is for the 2-tired vehicles (motorcycles). As long as you have a way to see behind you (at least one mirror), have some level of eye protection (so you don't go blind while driving from rocks or insects), you are good to have the windshield lowered or even removed completely.

I think that can be a state or local law in some locations. I don't know of an law here in GA. I don't do it but there is a guy with an old Willy that does all the time around town here in the summer.

Reactions: StG58
I think that can be a state or local law in some locations. I don't know of an law here in GA. I don't do it but there is a guy with an old Willy that does all the time around town here in the summer.
Yup, and I think that a lot of it depends on the local law enforcement folks as well. There is probably a fair bit of selective enforcement involved. Old guy driving a CJ2A with the windshield down on a country road? Not an issue. Soccer Mom driving a JKU down the city street with the windshield folded down and kids in the back? Issue. (Yes, JKU windshields fold down)

Reactions: JP98
It shouldn't be illegal. If I were to get a ticket I'd fight it in court on the premise that I am not required to have a windshield/windscreen on my motorcycle.

Reactions: JP13
I think it's best to contact your local motor vehicle insurance provider (which I'm guessing is SGI for you, judging by your username).
They should either be able to answer that, or point you in the right direction.

The answer to that, legally, can most likely vary from province to province (state to state).
Just like the legality of fender width, bumper width and mudflaps is going to vary based on your location.

I'm just guessing here, but it may also be different if you can register it as a farm vehicle.

I will note that I believe a windshield down will garner a lot of attention, as it stands out.
So if it's illegal in Sask, then they might notice fairly quick.
Whereas bumper height or width being out by an inch or 2 may slip under the radar easier.

Well were at it, whats the max speed you shouldn't go over with the windshield down?

As fast as you want until the bug impacts start causing bleeding. :)
Isn't there some kind of actually limit though that the footman loop will only hold up against before its considered dangerous, right?

Isn't there some kind of actually limit though that the footman loop will only hold up against before its considered dangerous, right?
I'm sure it would hold up to as fast as our TJ's can go. Couldn't imagine the up force being that strong.

If I remember correctly, the owners manual says something along the lines of "the Jeep engineers recommend that the vehicle speed be limited to 10 mph, with low range operation preferred". Page 87 in the owner's manual. If the bugs and rocks start to hurt, that's probably fast enough.

Reactions: EJD and JP98
It's apparently legal in North Carolina as long as you have eye protection. I might do it on the beach or some easy trails, but not on any highways.