Wipers stopped working, sprayer works fine

Jeff Nordeen

Supporting Member
Purchased my '97 TJ a month ago with 204,xxx miles on it. I love it but yesterday the wipers just up and stopped working.

I've checked fuses and in searching this forum (which has been invaluable), I could not find any threads on how to troubleshoot whether it is a switch, a motor, something else?...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

If it's not the fuse, it very well may be your wiper motor.

One way to test this would be to remove the cowl panel, unplug the plug that goes into the wiper motor, and then turn the wipers on. Get a test light and see if you have power coming from that plug. If you do, that means it's got to be your wiper motor. If you don't that points to other issues that could include a faulty switch / stalk.

Reactions: Jeff Nordeen
Remove the blades and cowl, half a dozen easy screws. Hot wire the motor.
If it spins you know it is the wiring or switch.
Use any volt meter, check the voltage at the connector between the hot and the ground wires.
If nothing, check voltage between the the hot wire and a good ground on the engine or body.
If no luck, it is time to pull the switch and use the same logic to discover if it is the switch or wiring.

Edit: I guess I must type slow:{​

While you have the cowl off look under the rubber boot that's on the motor, mine had rusted really badly and siezed up. And of course it died at night while it was pouring rain :mad:.
4.jpg

I replaced my wiper motor in my ‘97 last January. It died just like yours. I screwed around with junkyard replacements and rebuilt models from auto parts stores trying to save a few bucks. Finally bought OEM and wish I hadn’t wasted time with the others.

Thanks for all the responses. This forum is fantastic!! Living in Minnesota, I'm sure mine will be a rusted mess as well. I'll definitely go OEM to avoid the hassle.

Much appreciated.

Jeff

If it's not the fuse, it very well may be your wiper motor.

One way to test this would be to remove the cowl panel, unplug the plug that goes into the wiper motor, and then turn the wipers on. Get a test light and see if you have power coming from that plug. If you do, that means it's got to be your wiper motor. If you don't that points to other issues that could include a faulty switch / stalk.

You were right on. Ordering up the wiper motor tomorrow.

Thanks,

Jeff

Reactions: Chris
Nice price for a front wiper motor. Anyone know where I can find a cheap rear wiper motor? I can't seem to find one anywhere.

That's one I've never been able to find new.

Look for a used one here: http://car-part.com

If it needs rebuilding, there are a lot of places that will rebuild motors like this and make them good as new.