Wire Strippers

Kyle_W

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
In case you are tired of using the "slotted" strippers that sometimes tear out braids of copper with the wire insulation at the same time, then consider getting some of these (Klein isn't the only company who makes them, however, why not support a company as noble as Klein?): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXKOEQ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They more so 'yank' the insulation off of the wires, versus puncturing the insulation down to the copper and possibly cutting the copper, like slotted strippers do.

Kids these days need a "tool" for everything. Pocket knife and teeth have worked forever :D

Actually those are pretty cool. The slotted ones either cut strands or do not fully cut the sheathing.

Reactions: Reign Mack
Kids these days need a "tool" for everything. Pocket knife and teeth have worked forever :D

Actually those are pretty cool. The slotted ones either cut strands or do not fully cut the sheathing.

Usually because they are worn or a poor quality. For general purpose (auto and household), it's hard to beat these two models;

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-Tools-8-1-4-in-Long-Nose-All-Purpose-Tool-1010/100011065

http://imperial-tools.com/content/upfront-strippers-combination-tools

I've used an Imperial for years. The cutter snips wire with no effort and perfectly clean. Notice how perfectly round the holes are where the two halves meet up. That's usually a good clue of the quality.

My well-practiced hands have no problem stripping wires with nothing more than a pair of good quality side-cutters. No nicks in the strands either. though I I've been stripping wires with side cutters for nearly 60 years now so I've gotten pretty good at it.

Rarely will I use actual wire strippers unless I'm stripping a bunch of wires and then it'll just be an inexpensive wire stripper like Home Depot sells. It certainly doesn't require a fancy wire stripper to be able to properly strip wiring without nicking or cutting it.

Like this. :)

image001.jpg

Last edited:
In case you are tired of using the "slotted" strippers that sometimes tear out braids of copper with the wire insulation at the same time, then consider getting some of these (Klein isn't the only company who makes them, however, why not support a company as noble as Klein?): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXKOEQ6/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They more so 'yank' the insulation off of the wires, versus puncturing the insulation down to the copper and possibly cutting the copper, like slotted strippers do.

I have a pair of these things and love them! They make stripping wires almost effortless.

Reactions: Kyle_W
My well-practiced hands have no problem stripping wires with nothing more than a pair of good quality side-cutters. No nicks in the strands either. though I I've been stripping wires with side cutters for nearly 60 years now so I've gotten pretty good at it.

Rarely will I use actual wire strippers unless I'm stripping a bunch of wires and then it'll just be an inexpensive wire stripper like Home Depot sells. It certainly doesn't require a fancy wire stripper to be able to properly strip wiring without nicking or cutting it.

Like this. :)

View attachment 10110

Not everyone is a salty blue collar like you though. ;)

I can do alright with a pair of side cutters; it's possible to strip wires with them! I just prefer the "click and go" with something like those automatic strippers!

Hey man, a carpenter literally has a tool for everything! And typically carpenters aren't kids. :p

Hey man, a carpenter literally has a tool for everything! And typically carpenters aren't kids. :p
My original trade was carpentry. My neighbor just retired from being a carpenter most of his working life. We have worked together on many projects at both of our places. A frequent topic of conversation is how you need less and less tools as you get more experienced.

Reactions: Kyle_W and StG58
I have these wire strippers (the ones in the original post) and they truly awe awesome! You simply can't beat them, they make thing so easy!

Reactions: SteveGr
I've had a pair of the ones in the original post and they were great but I've found better.

I've had a set of these that I bought from my local Matco distributor for about 4 years now and they are awesome. I can strip 3 wires at a time quickly and consistently with these and they've also got a cutter in the handle. They automatically adjust to wire size and NEVER cut the strands inside. I've seen them as cheap as 10 bucks online.

As a testament to their durability please note that I use these almost daily and they still work as good as when I bought them.
d4319186fae6932f05601535f922807f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Reactions: billiebob

Kids and old timers, I only have two teeth of my own these days so these have become necessary for me.