Wiring 101 - tail light wiring - question

BobK

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have re-wired two JK's so that I could run the license plate and integrated third brake light (rather than the factory) without issue. Today I wanted to finalize the installation of a rear bumper with tire carrier by installing an integrated third brake light and license plate light.

I have the license plate bracket all wired up, with both ground wires for the brake and license plate lights tied together and then I have a second and third wire, one each for the brake and license plate. I joined them using a three wire connector (weatherproof) so that the bracket can be removed if necessary to get to the spare. I tested my wiring to the license plate/brake light bracket using a 12 volt supply and with a common ground, each remaining wire lights up one of the lights, so far so good.

I then ran the three wire cabling from the mounted spare in a nylon sheath across the tire carrier and over to the passenger side brake light. I pulled the wiring bundle in its sheath from under the body to the hole for the wiring for the passenger side rear tail light. I unscrewed the tail light from the body and found three wires along with the light being grounded by the body. I then bared a portion of each of the three wires on the factory light wire harness and go about testing to see which one is brake, turn signal, reverse, and tail light. Regardless of what I do, I cannot get my add-on lights to light up when using any of the three factory wires. (yes, I have everything grounded). What am I missing? I need the license plate light to illuminate with the tail lights, and obviously the third brake light to light up with the brake lights.

I'm about to dig into the electrical schematics in the Service Manual, but thought I ask the wisdom of the group too.

Also, I noticed that the drivers side tail light has a connector to unplug from the wiring harness, but the passenger side appears to be hard wired, unless the connector is hidden somewhere up in the rear fender.

PS. I also wired in a backup camera today (inside the trailer hitch receiver) and needed to connect a wire on the drivers side to the backup (reverse) light. I think I did it correctly, but pending understanding of the tail light wiring setup, I guess I'm not certain.

Last edited:
As for my handiwork, I scored a 2 1/2 out of 3...... on the TJ. Meaning I had a failure along the way.

I did find the reverse light to power the switch that turns on the backup camera. A+

I did find the wire that will light up the license plate when the headlights/parking lights are turned on. A+

I did find the wire that will light up the third brake light, when the brakes are applied. However, the third brake light also blinks when the turn signals are turned on!! A+ / F-

What in the world am I doing wrong on this TJ. How do I get just the action of applying the brakes to light up this third brake light?

Yeah I did figure it out but had to run the brake wire from the fixture that is inside the tub near the hinges that handles the wiring to the factory third brake light. All the wiring at the tail lights themselves has the brakes lights blinking with the turn signal. The only constant source of power for a non-blinking brake light was with that wiring. It all good now, but it did have me scratching my head for a while.

As for my handiwork, I scored a 2 1/2 out of 3...... on the TJ. Meaning I had a failure along the way.

I did find the reverse light to power the switch that turns on the backup camera. A+

I did find the wire that will light up the license plate when the headlights/parking lights are turned on. A+

I did find the wire that will light up the third brake light, when the brakes are applied. However, the third brake light also blinks when the turn signals are turned on!! A+ / F-

What in the world am I doing wrong on this TJ. How do I get just the action of applying the brakes to light up this third brake light?
Which wire was the one that lights up the license plate when the headlights/parking lights are turned on? I am doing this today.