Wiring for aftermarket seat heaters

isaac2098

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
So I ordered a pair of seat heaters from eBay and I am attempting to figure out wiring for them. The driver and passenger seat heater harnesses come with one 10amp fuse installed on each separately already. Can I run both of these to a tap a fuse in my passenger fuse panel. In other words.. can I run the driver 10amp in-line fuse harness to a tap a fuse that is ignition switched 10amp? Or can I not have 1 fuse just leading to another fuse?

I would recommend using a relay and sourcing the power straight from the battery. A single 30 amp relay would be more than enough to power both seat heaters, and often as many as all four. Use a 20 amp inline fuse upstream of the relay, or 30 if wiring four seats. Use at least 12AWG for 2 seats, 10 AWG for four. Keep the individual fuses that come with the kit inline, after the wires split post-relay.

Use the ignition signal to enable the relay. (An ASD-enabled signal might be even better.)

This protects the OEM circuitry, and if done right, provides better power to the seats.

So I ordered a pair of seat heaters from eBay and I am attempting to figure out wiring for them. The driver and passenger seat heater harnesses come with one 10amp fuse installed on each separately already. Can I run both of these to a tap a fuse in my passenger fuse panel. In other words.. can I run the driver 10amp in-line fuse harness to a tap a fuse that is ignition switched 10amp? Or can I not have 1 fuse just leading to another fuse?
Which type of heaters did you get? You'll install these underneath the stock seat fabric?

I only use the fuse taps as the 12v triggering source for relays, not the main draw as you don't want to overload what the wires were rated for. Meaning for your application, I'd only use the tap fuse to the switch itself which makes it an ignition controlled circuit that will only run when the ignition is on, but the actual power draw is direct from the battery (or auxiliary fuse block).

Reactions: Gambaholic