Wiring question

Another thing to be considered is what is the build date for your TJ?
I don't know which wires are different but I've read in a few posts on more than one forum that 01-03/96 TJ's have wiring that is different than what the FSM showed. I have not been able to verify this but it might help.

Reactions: qslim and SSTJ
Update:

I found the issue. The PO had done a hack job installing an aftermarket radio. The short was in the mess of connectors that had been spliced and joined and crossed over. Now that that's fixed my radio turns off when I turn on the headlights... :oops:

• Haha
Reactions: SSTJ
Update:

I found the issue. The PO had done a hack job installing an aftermarket radio. The short was in the mess of connectors that had been spliced and joined and crossed over. Now that that's fixed my radio turns off when I turn on the headlights... :oops:
Same issue... bought my TJ...first fix was pulling the dash for a new heater core...found the stereo installed with nothing but electrical tape.

The pin LEDs on the aftermarket fenders were installed with wire nuts.

Spent a lot of time confirming connections and installing crimps and heat shrink.

In your case it sounds like you might have swapped the illumination circuit with the constant 12v.

-Mac

Reactions: Wheeler
Same issue... bought my TJ...first fix was pulling the dash for a new heater core...found the stereo installed with nothing but electrical tape.

The pin LEDs on the aftermarket fenders were installed with wire nuts.

Spent a lot of time confirming connections and installing crimps and heat shrink.

In your case it sounds like you might have swapped the illumination circuit with the constant 12v.

-Mac
I’ll take another look this afternoon. I’m getting really good at taking the center dash apart. :).