Wizard Recovery Gear

If I do a winch line, they will like be with the ST or not done. To clarify, we have to build the lines. They are not premade like a lot of the generic stuff you see out there.

Here's hoping you decide before the ST go up for sale. I definitely want a ST but would love to order the line and thimble together. If the thimbles hit the website first I'll be muttering to myself something about waiting while I'm typing in my credit card and hitting submit order.

• Haha
Reactions: mrblaine and PRNDL
Here's hoping you decide before the ST go up for sale. I definitely want a ST but would love to order the line and thimble together. If the thimbles hit the website first I'll be muttering to myself something about waiting while I'm typing in my credit card and hitting submit order.

I'll figure out a way to make your life easier by coming up with a highly complex core return to send in the ST and trade it for the one on the line. Or you could just send it to me and I can splice it on.

I'll figure out a way to make your life easier by coming up with a highly complex core return to send in the ST and trade it for the one on the line. Or you could just send it to me and I can splice it on.

Will they be splice only or ones where I can use the existing steel eye?

Now a days you have to get parts when there in stock because we don’t know when the product will come back. I think that’s what happened here.
I stock 897 calipers, pads, and a few sets of the older 17" knuckles that used them. We haven't had those in production for at least 8 years. I keep them in case someone has a big problem and we need to solve it with a new part rather than forcing them to buy a whole new brake kit. I have several more things like that for the same reasons. If I put something into production and it sells at all, I try to keep it in production. I'm subject to the same whims and vagaries of the supply chain bullshit everyone else is so I know how utterly frustrating it is.

The only current item I won't restock are the grey soft shackles. They are a mistake, I wish they weren't but I'm stuck with them and the only way my life is fair is trying to get others to share my pain by sticking them with some of the grey ones.

Are some of the products you are owed royalty not worth it for you to make?

Some don't make sense. The Dana 35 c-clip eliminator would require me to work with an axle company. I don't want to. The Super 88 has been knocked off by Yukon so that won't fly. The recovery stuff is easy and needed so not a problem there.

Some don't make sense. The Dana 35 c-clip eliminator would require me to work with an axle company. I don't want to. The Super 88 has been knocked off by Yukon so that won't fly. The recovery stuff is easy and needed so not a problem there.

After seeing and hearing all the nonsense from Yukon .. I really want to yank out everything Yukon in my rig. I wish I had known better in the past.

After shipping a crapload of orders, we are starting to refine some things. It makes more sense economically to ship the fairleads in a Priority Mail Flat rate box. Unfortunately our shopping cart won't let us break that out as a line item so you know how much shipping costs. So, that means we have to add that to the fairlead price and the stick it under the "free shipping" bullshit. The good news is after tracking the UPS amounts, this saves the customer about 5-7 bucks per fairlead and our costs only go up slightly in packaging costs.

In a nutshell, on the surface it looks like the price went up until you factor in the 23 dollar average UPS shipping price. (which is bullshit anyway for a box that size) And we may find a way to reduce costs further and pass that along if we can.

After shipping a crapload of orders, we are starting to refine some things. It makes more sense economically to ship the fairleads in a Priority Mail Flat rate box. Unfortunately our shopping cart won't let us break that out as a line item so you know how much shipping costs. So, that means we have to add that to the fairlead price and the stick it under the "free shipping" bullshit. The good news is after tracking the UPS amounts, this saves the customer about 5-7 bucks per fairlead and our costs only go up slightly in packaging costs.

In a nutshell, on the surface it looks like the price went up until you factor in the 23 dollar average UPS shipping price. (which is bullshit anyway for a box that size) And we may find a way to reduce costs further and pass that along if we can.
Thanks for shipping mine flat rate, significantly cheaper than the $76 UPS cost to AK!

Reactions: Blackjack

Probably faster through USPS too. I don't know why UPS shows a 4 day shipping time from Michigan to anywhere in the country, but it takes over a week to go from SoCal to Michigan...

Probably faster through USPS too. I don't know why UPS shows a 4 day shipping time from Michigan to anywhere in the country, but it takes over a week to go from SoCal to Michigan...

That's what you get for being the 1st one to order. We didn't have time to work out some of the bugs.

• Haha
Reactions: Mike_H
Will they be splice only or ones where I can use the existing steel eye?

I will never make or condone the use of any terminal tackle on the end of a winch line that retains the use of an existing stainless steel thimble or heavy duty tube thimble. To do so adds another connection and that is just plain fucking stupid. The single exception to that is the use of a good heavy duty tube thimble to use with a soft shackle and the SS goes through the HD tube thimble.

After seeing and hearing all the nonsense from Yukon .. I really want to yank out everything Yukon in my rig. I wish I had known better in the past.

There is a back story there. Randy was pissy about one of his top guys getting tired of the PNW who moved to SoCal and then went to work for Superior. As his way of saying Fuck you to the guy, he set about copying some of their popular stuff. I can relate, but not enough to do a blatant copy.

• Wow
Reactions: psrivats
This statement has me picturing an old toothless hillbilly talking about how many trucks he's pulled out of the mud with logging chain.
Yes it works but isn't necessarily "best."

The truth is the diamond know is the weak point and is where a new shackle will break. The button knot is stronger.

But that isn't necessarily a problem. If you're looking to use the absolute minimum-sized line possible then yes you should use the stronger knot. If you're using oversized line to account for wear and suboptimal attachment points are you're meeting the design requirements then it doesn't matter, and there are other practical benefits tot he diamond knot: it's easier to tie correctly and uses less rope.

Too bad some people can't have these discussions without being a dick.

Some of my personal stash that is just used for jobs around here which I keep in the garage for quick access. This doesn't include any of the recovery bags in the rigs or crap I have stashed in the tow rig or the spare thimbles or spare winchlines. This is just the "I need something to pull the top of the palm tree over so it doesn't land where it shouldn't" bag. Or grab a shackle and go get the neighbor unstuck.

DSC00704.JPG

I forgot to mention that after we figured it out, I was able to snag a few that we had packed for UPS and repack them in USPS Med. Flat Rate Priority boxes to get them there faster.

As the day wore on and the temps got warmer hovering around 108, we were struggling a tiny bit to stay focused. I had to open a few packages and add stuff that was left on the bench. As such, if I missed something, just let us know via email and we'll get it handled with a sincere apology for being fuck ups.

I forgot to mention that after we figured it out, I was able to snag a few that we had packed for UPS and repack them in USPS Med. Flat Rate Priority boxes to get them there faster.
Flat rate priority makes sense for certain small but heavy objects. For what you're shipping - and I don't know so I'm asking - how does it compare to Parcel Post or whatever they're calling it now?

Flat rate priority makes sense for certain small but heavy objects. For what you're shipping - and I don't know so I'm asking - how does it compare to Parcel Post or whatever they're calling it now?

Anything but Priority is horridly slow and our shipping program doesn't support the alternates very well. It has taken stuff 2 weeks to arrive that were sent to me Parcel Post or equivalent. The other side of that is you have to individually calculate each parcel. That adds time and complexity. For the money, it is impossible to beat Priority Flat Rate if you do apples to apples by transit time to get there. Most stuff is 2 days anywhere in the US. That is 2nd day air via UPS or FedEx and they won't even begin to touch that for 15 bucks. They won't even do that with a flat document envelope.

I order in 1000's of fasteners. I have a rough idea of what will fit in a medium, that is my order quantity. Gets here in 2 days @ 40 lbs. for the same 15-17 bucks. Makes your point but the rest is tough to beat.

I figure most everyone is like me, if they order something, they want it as fast as they can get it as cheaply as that can be done without dipping into the expedited shipping pool.