Won't start

Forty

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Well I thought I had my TJ dialed in but now have a new issue. Pulled into my girlfriends driveway a few weeks ago and she wouldn't start back up. This happened previously and when I changed the ignition switch the problem was solved. So I replace the one I put in and it still wouldn't start. Then my neighbor comes over and takes a rubber handle screwdriver and touches both post on the starter and it still didn't start, then we put jumper cables on the battery tried the same thing with the screwdriver and she started right up. So believing that the starter was the issue I replaced the starter and now have the same issue with a brand-new starter. Obviously it's electrical and that is not my forte. Do any of you have any advice or knowledge in this type of problem? Could it be as simple as a ground?

Since it started with a jump start, the starter wasn't getting enough power from the battery. Thing I'd do is physically remove both battery connections and wire brush the battery posts and the inside of the battery connectors. A $4 battery brush like below does that job in seconds.

And make sure when you replace the connectors to get the nut tight enough so you can't move the connectors around the battery posts with even considerable hand pressure. If you can't get them tight enough by just tightening the nut, the connectors or battery post has just worn. There's a free fix for that I can give you if you need it.

NO, don't just look at the battery connectors and think they look ok. Battery connectors can be clean and look pristine yet still cause the problem you just had. Get the energy and physically remove and clean them thoroughly with a wire brush. Don't spray anything on the connectors or posts while they're off.

battery brush.jpg

Reactions: Serbonze and StG58
I do have one of those and did clean the terminals months ago. I'll try it again though.

I'll try cleaning the terminals again today. We did put a volt meter on the battery before trying to start and during trying to start. The reading stayed consistent at 12.5

What is curious is the fact that it will start with a jump. The extra amps make a difference, how come? Jerry's advice on the tightness of the terminals is worth looking at again. If the battery load tests ok then I would recommend a real close inspection of the terminals, and where they are crimped or soldered to the cable. Sounds like you might have a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) you can use it to ohm out the cables to see what the resistance is, if the insulation is cracked and the copper is green that might be an issue. Also look at the connections on the starter solenoid.
Best of luck.

B

Reactions: Forty
So this morning I cleaned the terminals really good. I got a better response as far as the vehicle trying to crank over but still just clicking and no start. This evening I am going to take the battery to get load tested and see if maybe that's the issue.

I would look at the battery cables. I had damaged ones on my ram and i couldnt figure it out. When you said you did the voltage readout, did you do this on the post and the terminals? Try getting a read down by the starter and see if there is a loss of power.

Reactions: Forty
I would look at the battery cables. I had damaged ones on my ram and i couldnt figure it out. When you said you did the voltage readout, did you do this on the post and the terminals? Try getting a read down by the starter and see if there is a loss of power.
I will. Should I do this while turning it over or just as it sits?

What is curious is the fact that it will start with a jump. The extra amps make a difference, how come? Jerry's advice on the tightness of the terminals is worth looking at again. If the battery load tests ok then I would recommend a real close inspection of the terminals, and where they are crimped or soldered to the cable. Sounds like you might have a DVOM (digital volt ohm meter) you can use it to ohm out the cables to see what the resistance is, if the insulation is cracked and the copper is green that might be an issue. Also look at the connections on the starter solenoid.
Best of luck.

B
The start is brand new and those connections are good for sure. Also the terminal connections are good as well. I will try inspecting all the wiring Again later.

Reactions: VallenMaes