Worst Case Scenario for Axle Seal Leak?

DropTopDon

TJ Enthusiast
Rear passenger axle seal is leaking drops, and I am still driving my jeep daily. The amount of oil coming out varies as sometimes more oil is dripped on the tire then at other times. There is enough of a leak however where the oil is present on the tire and sometimes seeps onto the pavement in a day after being a parked. I plan on repairing the leak soon but currently don't have the funds to fix it. Yes I know seals are cheap but I have no source of income since I am 17. I was wondering, what is the worst case scenario if i continue to DD my jeep if something is to happen before i get around to replacing the seal?

One issue is it contaminating your brake pads.
Another consideration is the oil coating the inside of your wheel and collecting dirt which could cause balancing issues, though this would be less noticeable on the rear.
And of course there is the smell!

That being said, I drove for a couple of years on a leaky axle because 1) lazy and 2) a seal replacement didn't fix it. I wound up having to replace my axle shaft since it was nicked from work by the previous owner.