Would I be fine to tow a 2900 pound boat for 3 miles in my TJ?

That’s less than what an lj is rated for you’ll be fine drivetrain wise. I’ve towed more with a 4cyl.

The short wheel base stability under breaking and cornering is the problem keep that in mind.

Reactions: SkylinesSuck
This post reminds me of when I was younger. My friend knew a guy who at one point to own a majority of the monument car part stores in our area, maybe the company I don't recall. After he sold the stores he started working on offshore racing boats and he would use a CJ2A with a front hitch to push the 40ft boats around his property. The CJ2A was cool but once we took it out of the property and over 40 MPH the tires would wobble all over the place. Likely not related to towing the boats but it was a sight to see the little Willys moving those massive boats around.

To get to the point though, like everyone else mentioned the TJ will tow the boat just be cautious, drive under the speed limit, and make sure you don't slam on the brakes at speed.

I tow our boat with my LJ all the time, albeit, it’s only a mile to the Sea of Cortez from our house in Mulege, Baja Sur! About the same weight as yours with fuel. Braking though, is questionable. Longer trips I hook up with our 320hp Saurer 6dm overland vehicle. You might want to consider one of those!

0386C0D9-DC66-4099-A8F2-55D4CDDDA35F.jpeg

Yep depends.

Interstate, across town, up hill, down hill, around curves, springs and shocks on the Jeep, tire condition, etc, etc, etc.

Too many variables. However, I live in flat landia and have towed for decades. So I'd pull more than rated as long as my hitch downforce was no greater than 400 lbs. 250-300 for the shorter wheelbase. It tips your front and unloads the front wheels which do the majority of breaking and steering.

Then I would pick a low traffic time and go slow. If in doubt put on the flashers and go slower.

That said I once put enough in the back of a mini truck that the front got light and I just went really slow for a mile before I dumped the dirt.

Just have Buddy follow you and video it just incase something funny happens 😜
Yall remember the little camper that wadded up recently? That was baaaaad.

I had a buddy towing a boat, he was drunk. It slid off the trailer into the woods. He just kept driving.

• Wow
Reactions: Alex01
Yall remember the little camper that wadded up recently? That was baaaaad.

I had a buddy towing a boat, he was drunk. It slid off the trailer into the woods. He just kept driving.
I wouldn't of stuck around for that one either of I had been drinking. It's good thing I dont drink anymore that's the kinda shit I was always doing.

I wouldn't of stuck around for that one either of I had been drinking. It's good thing I dont drink anymore that's the kinda shit I was always doing.
I hear ya. We lost a skier that way.

• Haha
Reactions: Hopper
If you are near Huntsville I’ll tow your boat for you if it has to happen.

The truthful answer is you are pushing the limits, might burn up a clutch or auto, and if you have to do it, test it real slow , do it real slow , stop way ahead and don’t make a habit of it. Its a good formula for not having a boat or a Tj if it goes bad. The boat weighs nearly what the Jeep does. If it was my jeep or you were my son, I wouldn’t let it happen. And my sons would be the ones to do this kind of thing.

If you are near Huntsville I’ll tow your boat for you if it has to happen.

The truthful answer is you are pushing the limits, might burn up a clutch or auto, and if you have to do it, test it real slow , do it real slow , stop way ahead and don’t make a habit of it. Its a good formula for not having a boat or a Tj if it goes bad. The boat weighs nearly what the Jeep does. If it was my jeep or you were my son, I wouldn’t let it happen. And my sons would be the ones to do this kind of thing.
I had a friend tow it with his duramax truck