Would it be more cost effective to stick with a street wheel or go to a beadlock?

2005LJR

As the title says, I’m hoping that someone can help me with wheel and bolt pattern questions. On my LJ I’m looking to go up to 17x9 wheel and 35s. At this point would it be more cost effective to stick with a street wheel or go to a beadlock? (this jeep will likely see 37s in a few years) It will be used mostly off-road which is why I’m even considering a beadlock. At the same time I’m wondering if I should stick with the factory 5x4.5 bolt pattern or change it? Thanks.

Beads if wheeling big tires in rocks hard. As far as cost effective, no.

Last edited:
I went to bead locks and MTR’s many years ago. Not sure if it was the tires or the rims but I had issues with balancing them for the street. Off food they were great but in the end they were not worth the trouble for my use.

I went to bead locks and MTR’s many years ago. Not sure if it was the tires or the rims but I had issues with balancing them for the street. Off food they were great but in the end they were not worth the trouble for my use.
Ok, I’ll have to look out for this. I’d still like to be able to drive 200 miles semi-comfortably

You really don't need beadlocks unless you're losing a bead somewhat regularly. I did it because I'm running 37's on a Currie 44 front that is TJ width. Even with the TJ to JK wheel adapters (for bolt pattern and backspacing) I was still losing my bead on my passenger front. So went with beadlocks. When I ordered the rear axle, I went with JK width and bolt pattern. So I only need the adapters in the front.

They don't really make and decent 17" wheels with a TJ bolt pattern. For proper backspacing for a 17 X 9, you will need to go with a JK bolt pattern (5 X 5) and TJ to JK wheel adapters. If you do go with aftermarket axles, you can order them with the JK bolt pattern so you won't need the adapters anymore.

You can also order custom non-beadlock wheels with the TJ bolt pattern and proper backspacing. Though by the time you do that, you might be closer to the cost of a beadlock.

I have RockMonsters, although I wouldn't call em cost effective, I love em and won't go back. They are JK pattern on 1.25 spacers, pushes the tires (35s) out just enough that they don't rub unless at full lock and full stuff

I like to daily my jeep too

Reactions: Wildman
Personally I would run the factory rims until you get your new axles and bolt patterns. 315/75R16 aren't perfect but there are a lot of options available. The D-rated MT/R and the E-rated Duratrac are both quite flexible for their load range.