Would You Change Out Your Fuel Pump Assembly Now?

mikespine

I have just reached 100k on my 2004 Jeep Wrangler X . I have a DirtWorx rear bumper with tire carrier to install. I will need to drop the tank to install the bumper and drill a few holes. Would you install a new fuel pump assembly now while the tank is already dropped or wait for it to completely fail?

I have looked for a Bosch and Mopar fuel pump but not sure if they are on backorder or just not being made anymore. What other brands for a fuel pump assembly would you suggest?

Last edited:
I have just reached 100k on my Jeep Wrangler X . I have a DirtWorx rear bumper with tire carrier to install. I will need to drop the tank to install the bumper and drill a few holes. Would you install a new fuel pump assembly now while the tank is already dropped or wait for it to completely fail?

I have looked for a Bosch and Mopar fuel pump but not sure if they are on backorder or just not being made anymore. What other brands for a fuel pump assembly would you suggest?

Old saying; 'if it ain't broke don't fix it'. That is entirely your decision but I would wait until more experienced owners chime in before deciding.

Reactions: mikespine
It's a pretty easy job, so I'd leave it for now. But jump on an oe. pump assembly if you find one, because they are obsolete. You can however, replace just the pump itself.

If your TJ is running fine let it be. Then you do t have to worry about how hard a pump swap is. Then the hornet's nest isn't an issue.

Replacing ‘just the pump’, from what Ive read on Amazon reviews, seems no easy task for a garage mechanic. Anyone here w experience to confirm that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're already taking down the tank, so the tedious part is done, after that it takes an old screw driver and a hammer to rotate the ring to release the pump.

You're already taking down the tank, so the tedious part is done, after that it takes an old screw driver and a hammer to rotate the ring to release the pump.

He's talking about trying to replace just the pump within the module, as opposed to replacing the entire already assembled module. I believe Jerry has suggested just replacing the pump since you can still get a Bosch one, but not the assembled module. I replaced the whole module, so I have no idea how difficult it is or isn't to just swap the pump.

While the Bosch fuel pump assembly is no longer available for 2004 and older TJs, the fuel pump itself is available from places like Amazon.com. It's not a big job to replace the fuel pump inside the fuel pump assembly. The check valve that causes slow-start problems after the TJ sits for an extended period of time is contained within the fuel pump itself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20

While the Bosch fuel pump assembly is no longer available for 2004 and older TJs, the fuel pump itself is available from places like Amazon.com. It's not a big job to replace the fuel pump inside the fuel pump assembly. The check valve that causes slow-start problems after the TJ sits for an extended period of time is contained within the fuel pump itself.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BZL922/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Just some general info: -at times it takes about 3 seconds for the jeep to start when turning over.
-the gas gauge moves slowly when filling up the tank (I think there's a little lag)
-I recently replaced all 4 oxygen sensors (not sure if that matters).

Changing just the fuel pump is no more or less difficult than changing the whole assembly, right?
Some Amazon reviews mention some difficulty with the "meticulous" install and not having the correct strainer/filter adding to the cost.

Would you think if I changed just the fuel pump that starting the jeep would take less than 3 seconds (ruh, ruh, ruh sound when turning it over)?

Do you have any input on other brand fuel pump assemblies? Delphi FG1221 (RockAuto)

Last edited:
Replacing ‘just the pump’, from what Ive read on Amazon reviews, seems no easy task for a garage mechanic. Anyone here w experience to confirm that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just read the Amazon reviews too. "Meticulous" install and not having the correct filter/strainer. I don't know what I don't so not sure what kind of challenge it may be.

i just replaced just the pump, very easy. had to get a new strainer but advanced auto had one, 10 bucks, pump was 55 on rock auto. on the whole assembly the 3 bars that slide up and down, you simply squeeze them in and the whole unit comes apart. one plug and the fuel hose and your done.

Someone mentioned using a screw driver and a hammer to loosen the locking ring atop the assembly. I highly recommend using a non sparking brass drift as opposed to a metal one for safety.

The late models are a steel on steel retention.

I just dropped my gas tank/skid, and I would plan on more time than expected. With the tank removed, you can check/fix the fuel fill valve, and clean and paint the nooks and crannies of the frame.