Would you sell a factory soft top in order to buy an aftermarket Bestop soft top?

TJim

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Hey!

Would you sell a factory soft top in order to buy an after market best top soft top?

(I know best top made the factory soft tops too)

Hey!

Would you sell a factory soft top in order to buy an after market best top soft top?

Depends on the condition of the factory soft top. After about 14 years my factory soft top was showing its age, so I replaced it with a new Bestop sailcloth Replace-a-Top. Since the original top was still serviceable, I sold it to someone whose factory top was apparently in worse condition.

Reactions: L J
Hey!

Yep, I would. I have owned a factory one and two Bestops. They seem to just keep getting better, in terms of the material. My current one is the sailcloth.

Edit: We’ll, since my current one is the sailcloth, I can’t speak to the quality of the base-level, which might be more like the factory material. So maybe there isn’t an improvement in quality as much as an improvement in material options.

Last edited:
Depends on the condition of the factory soft top. After about 14 years my factory soft top was showing its age, so I replaced it with a new Bestop sailcloth Replace-a-Top. Since the original top was still serviceable, I sold it to someone whose factory top was apparently in worse condition.
I’ve done this twice. If the old top is in decent condition you can sell for $2-250 which gets you about half way to a Bestop replace a top.

i got lucky, the previous owner of mine had both !!!!! he had the hard top on it when i bought it. after a few months i put the soft top on it and have thought about selling my hardtop but know as soon as i do i'll wish i had it back ....

This has been on my mind as well. My OEM top isnt in terrible condition by any means, but I do want the sunrider feature. So Ive been eyeing up the trektops and supertops in twill, which costs stupid money. Hard time justifying spending that on a garaged weekend toy, especially since my top is still serviceable. Leaning towards just doing the DIY sunrider on my OEM frame and saving the $1000-1700.

Leaning towards just doing the DIY sunrider on my OEM frame and saving the $1000-1700.
Did this with the flip-ur-top on my last top. It was good for the first few months but the top became a major pain to bring all the way down, the sizing on the hardware is slightly off so it started to gouge the top of the door surrounds and it started fray the section of the top directly above the folding bracket.

Did this with the flip-ur-top on my last top. It was good for the first few months but the top became a major pain to bring all the way down, the sizing on the hardware is slightly off so it started to gouge the top of the door surrounds and it started fray the section of the top directly above the folding bracket.
Same. I made my own, used it a few times that season, and haven't touched it in years.

Same. I made my own, used it a few times that season, and haven't touched it in years.
Hmm good to know. I’ll have to reconsider

I have the original soft top. As best as I can determine it was never used as it is in perfect condition. Anyone want it?