Wow, times have changed

andyj

TJ Enthusiast
I tried to order a few (very light) plastic parts from quadratec:

Metra 95-6541 Double DIN Dash Bezel for 03-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Rugged Ridge 13551.19 Dash Multi-Mount System with Phone Holder
QuadraTop Upper Door Skins for 97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ

All in all 276 bucks.

Delivery to Australia, FedEx 240 bucks, DHL 493 bucks. WTF?!?

Hard to believe that I got my rear bumper from them a few years back, delivery at the time about 100 bucks for a 40kg pack of steel. I knew inflation was bad - but that bad?

I’ve noticed a lot of automotive maintenance items have went up at least 100%.
Napa gold filters, pre-covid was paying $5, yesterday it was $13
Motorcycle battery pre covid was $18, now it’s $42
Inflation is way higher than what it’s being portrayed. Governments are constantly changing the metrics used in order to keep the number low. Hence the term “CP lie” instead of CPI.

I’ve noticed a lot of automotive maintenance items have went up at least 100%.
Napa gold filters, pre-covid was paying $5, yesterday it was $13
Motorcycle battery pre covid was $18, now it’s $42
Inflation is way higher than what it’s being portrayed. Governments are constantly changing the metrics used in order to keep the number low. Hence the term “CP lie” instead of CPI.

I didn't consider the parts too expensive. Just look at shipping, DHL is almost 500 dollars! Shipping more expensive than the actual product...

Benny's Custom Works might be shipping his Cresta from Australia to the US and back for Drag Week. If you don't mind waiting I'm sure he'd stuff some parts in the container for you.

-Mac

Reactions: andyj
I didn't consider the parts too expensive. Just look at shipping, DHL is almost 500 dollars! Shipping more expensive than the actual product...

I keep seeing that reference being made but shipping costs have absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the product being shipped.

I keep seeing that reference being made but shipping costs have absolutely nothing to do with the cost of the product being shipped.

That isn't entirely accurate, that relationship does have large potential to hurt your feelings. I know it does mine anyway when it gets out of whack.

Reactions: Vinman and CMBD

I was referring to the theme of the thread title. 😉 I mailed a u-nut to Florida last week. Cost $7.24 to mail that $2 nut.

Last edited:
I've noticed things I want on ebay that come from Australia are not worth it because of shipping. Looking at fuel costs and inflation in general I guess it's not a surprise. Even free shipping is not really free, you're paying for it in the price. On a side note you just cost me $56, I ordered that phone mount, free shipping :rolleyes:

Just ordered a harness for my dog. Shipping was “free” and it was cheaper than a big box pet store.

It was shipped from Australia?!

Fedex is feeling the inflation hit as is ups. Seems we’re not buying enough junk to keep them busy.

• Wow
Reactions: andyj
I heard Amazon is going to start offering cash credits if you pick your order up at designated points.

Reactions: lBasket
Fedex is feeling the inflation hit as is ups. Seems we’re not buying enough junk to keep them busy.

It's a labor shortage causing the problem. The shipping companies have to pay more to keep their employees, and then, when they can't hire more, they authorize more OT. The time-and-a-half OT costs even more. It all started with COVID, when the US Gubment gave people more money on unemployment than they made while working.

It's a labor shortage causing the problem. The shipping companies have to pay more to keep their employees, and then, when they can't hire more, they authorize more OT. The time-and-a-half OT costs even more. It all started with COVID, when the US Gubment gave people more money on unemployment than they made while working.

Might be part of it, but only part as there are many factors adding up including increased fuel parts base wages, taxes, and even increased maintenance costs of transportation vehicles as they have to pay the same increased costs we do and then pass them on to stay profitable.

There is no single cause of any of this shit.

Reactions: Longwhitejeep
Might be part of it, but only part as there are many factors adding up including increased fuel parts base wages, taxes, and even increased maintenance costs of transportation vehicles as they have to pay the same increased costs we do and then pass them on to stay profitable.

There is no single cause of any of this shit.

Yeah, it's tough to keep up with all the factors, but I think the labor shortage is a huge factor. Everyone I know who runs a business, including myself, is saying the same thing - "I can't believe what I have to pay entry-level people right now, and I still can't find enough of them!" We're paying starting salaries 30% above what they were in 2019 (just four years ago). In the fourth decade of my professional career, I've never seen salaries rise like this.

• Sad
Reactions: Squatch
I heard Amazon is going to start offering cash credits if you pick your order up at designated points.

I'd like it if shippers gave you some little discount if you only get deliveries on 1-2 days of the week. Maybe we can all save some money and some time

The fast food joints in our little redneck town cannot keep the places open due to staffing shortages. What’s even more disappointing to me is when I went to the grocery yesterday it was all 65+year old men and women stocking and checking folks out. Where’s all the youth…….moms basement?

I needed some specific gear oil for the rear diff in my wife's Honda. Shipping from any number of sellers was more than the actual cost of the product. I ended up getting a substantially better deal by purchasing it directly from the dealership and picking it up. Let that statement sink in for a moment...:rolleyes: