Wrangler sputtering on acceleration and running poorly

ShawnG55

My wrangler is running poorly. Rough idle. Sputtering and almost jerking feeling on acceleration. Not a whole lot of power until I get passed 2nd. Initially was thinking a tune up but the check engine light was on so I had it checked at Autozone and O’Reilly Auto Parts. I don’t know the numbers/codes but Autozone gave me four options- upstream & downstream O2 sensors, fuel filter, fuel pump. O’Reilly seemed more knowledgeable (take that for what it’s worth) but they said it read Upstream/Downstream O2 sensors & lean fuel.

Not sure if this helps but I went to a car wash (pretty high pressure, get undercarriage and everything) and immediately when I pulled out it started sputtering and sounded like it was about to die. Was obviously struggling and has been ever since. Maybe something got wet?? Damaged from the water/wash??

Not sure where to start. I was thinking O2 sensor, mainly the O2 upstream. Thoughts? Rather not go fuel pump route and deal with the tank. Thanks for any and all help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do the sensors , there is a thread on here which ones to buy I believe . It matters on the brand.

Reactions: ShawnG55
O2 sensors. But do the smart thing and replace ALL FOUR OF THEM AT ONCE!

Also do the other smart thing and ONLY USE NTK / NGK SENSORS! Use anything other than that and you're issues likely won't go away, as well as your check engine lights.

More about that here (as well as which sensors to order):

The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

Reactions: ShawnG55 and AndyG
O2 sensors. But do the smart thing and replace ALL FOUR OF THEM AT ONCE!

Also do the other smart thing and ONLY USE NTK / NGK SENSORS! Use anything other than that and you're issues likely won't go away, as well as your check engine lights.

More about that here (as well as which sensors to order):

The Official Jeep Wrangler TJ Oxygen (O2) Sensor Thread

I appreciate all the information! I have an odd ball 2000 so I’m assuming I only have 2?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2000 TJ here and started sputtering and died the other day.. started back but sounded like it wasn't getting fuel when I push the pedal. Sat for a few minutes and fired right back up. Ran fine for 2 days and then happened again. I'm thinking O2 sensors since it seems to happen when it gets warmed up.. any thoughts? Thanks!