Wrangler TJ reverse gear shifting problems with grinding noise

OFFRD TJ

Hello Folks,

After changing the back-up light switch on my manual TJ (4.0L 6 Cylinder), I am having issues where reverse gear does not want to shift. It grinds but does not shift in reverse. I am noticing other issues where the 2nd and the 4th gears are also having similar shifting issues. I had to take out the skid plate in order to access the back-up switch which sits in the driver side of the transmission. I did not install the skid plate yet, as I needed help putting it back (waiting for an extra set of hands). Any idea if this has anything to do with the gear shifting issues?

By the way the reverse light switch was changed as my Jeep failed NY State Inspection. After installing a new switch the lights seem to work however, I have shifting issues now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

When you installed the new Reverse switch did you by any chance accidentally remove then replace a bolt that says 'Do Not Remove' on it? I don't know for sure that your NV3550 transmission has one like that but the older AX-15 transmission does. That kind of bolt holds a shaft in place inside and once it is removed, the shaft falls out of place and it can't easily be put back where it belongs. Again I don't know that your NV3550 has that type of bolt.

Last edited:
Jerry - Thanks for your quick response.

The only thing that I know of removing was the actual reverse light switch which is a 22mm in size. Had to use a deep socket to get to it, but I also had to remove the skid plate bolts (3 on each side, and 4 nuts in the center).

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
Jerry - Thanks for your quick response.

The only thing that I know of removing was the actual reverse light switch which is a 22mm in size. Had to use a deep socket to get to it, but I also had to remove the skid plate bolts (3 on each side, and 4 nuts in the center).
Well it sure doesn't sound like you did anything that would cause it to grind then. Hopefully you got the six main bolts fully tightened before installing and tightening the four small nuts which allows the transmission mount to position itself properly.

Update: After installing the skid plate, the gears are shifting smoothly, but I see a new problem which didn't exists before this work. Whenever I tried to take a hard left or right turn, the steering seems to have play and some wobble, as if somethings is holding the front wheels, they are not moving smoothly. Any idea what might be the problem?

Sounds like the steering was probably doing that before, but now you are hyper aware for anything odd.
If your front wheels are dragging then look at the brake calipers. If the steering is loose do a dry steering test to check for any slop or play. While you are there check out your ball joints and hub bearings too.