Wranglerfixed

Well he just charged me $400 to fix a wire.

I've charged a lot more than that to fix a wire. Fixing the wire only took 15-20 minutes. Finding the right wire to fix and figuring out what was pulling the 5v reference in the PCM down to where it wouldn't start was an entirely different matter.

That took some time to go over all the harnesses and find out where the problem is. I've also worked on one for over 40 hours trying to find out why the monitors wouldn't run and no one out of the 20 folks who are experts at smog and PCM's could even begin to point us in any direction that was the key to an answer. Be glad you didn't need to get that one past smog. The owner was as bad as you are though.
He couldn't fix it, the 3 shops he took it to before me couldn't fix it, the 2 dealerships they sent it to couldn't fix it. He spent 4 months trying to get it fixed before he threw in the towel and brought it to me.

I told him when he dropped it off if we couldn't fix it, no charge. If we got it fixed and past smog, he pays full pop. He paid but was not the tiniest bit happy about it and this is his "I'm going to be buried in this thing" rig. Guess who doesn't work on his rig any more?

I've charged a lot more than that to fix a wire. Fixing the wire only took 15-20 minutes. Finding the right wire to fix and figuring out what was pulling the 5v reference in the PCM down to where it wouldn't start was an entirely different matter.

That took some time to go over all the harnesses and find out where the problem is. I've also worked on one for over 40 hours trying to find out why the monitors wouldn't run and no one out of the 20 folks who are experts at smog and PCM's could even begin to point us in any direction that was the key to an answer. Be glad you didn't need to get that one past smog. The owner was as bad as you are though.
He couldn't fix it, the 3 shops he took it to before me couldn't fix it, the 2 dealerships they sent it to couldn't fix it. He spent 4 months trying to get it fixed before he threw in the towel and brought it to me.

I told him when he dropped it off if we couldn't fix it, no charge. If we got it fixed and past smog, he pays full pop. He paid but was not the tiniest bit happy about it and this is his "I'm going to be buried in this thing" rig. Guess who doesn't work on his rig any more?

I fixed my older friend's Camry last week because it was pulling 5.7 amps when the vehicle was off. He was super thankful when it was all fixed and didn't complain that it took me half a day to discover and remove the hidden wires from an old Nokia cell phone setup that was tapped into battery power.

He also thanked me for fixing his John Deere skid-steer that two JD techs couldn't fix while I was in NY even though he paid them because he appreciated their efforts. The fix was corrosion on a wire from the safety belt switch to the control panel. One tech told him he'd need a new control panel but they were unavailable. After I fixed it, he moved on with a thrilled smile and appreciation that he didn't buy parts that wouldn't have fixed the little defective wire.

But he also respects that wiring issues are black magic to him largely because he doesn't have the patience or ambition to engage and build that skill set.

Just like how I pay for gearing changes, auto transmission repairs, and fabrication work. If I don't like the cost of getting someone's help, then I better learn how to do it myself or learn to deal with paying someone to fix my problems. It's a pretty simple formula.

If you'd like to feel better about things...at least you didn't pay over $3,000 for a Bullripper Reman that had numerous problems including a bad torque converter and leaking tail housing upon arrival...that required the installer to pull the trans to do the job again.

In labor alone, I paid around $1000 (initial install) + $700 (second install) + $500 (later when the Bullripper's solenoid pack shit itself and Eddie installed Bullripper's replacement)...and that part put me in limp mode about five miles from leaving the shop.

Eddie then installed a Mopar Solenoid pack that I got off of eBay at no charge because he felt bad for me. He also changed something on the Bullripper valve body that looked weird to him compared to what he'd always seen in a stock 42RLE. Good news is that it's been running well since October. :)

I guess I got lucky. My Bullripper has been great for over 2 years and 20K miles. It did develop the hard 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but that was a PCM issue that WranglerFix took care of.

Reactions: MikeE024
I guess I got lucky. My Bullripper has been great for over 2 years and 20K miles. It did develop the hard 1-2 and 2-3 shifts, but that was a PCM issue that WranglerFix took care of.

Regarding bad parts, I'd like to think that I was more unlucky than you were lucky. I was more annoyed with their operations department's disorganization and resistance to taking responsibility for the problems.

Last edited:
It the past it has taken me two days to fix a software bug that ended up being a single character. My boss doesn't turn around and say that he spent $X on me to change a single character because he understands the value of time, knowledge and experience. Andy

Reactions: MikeE024 and Rickyd
It the past it has taken me two days to fix a software bug that ended up being a single character. My boss doesn't turn around and say that he spent $X on me to change a single character because he understands the value of time, knowledge and experience. Andy

1714185604506.png