Wrapping the hardtop

B1Toad

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
There have been a few people on here talking about wraps. I wanted to know if it is possible to apply a wrap to just the top (roof) of a hard top. I'm thinking about a white wrap on top for the summer heat, my top is black and gets pretty hot in the sun. The thing that has me wondering is the ridges, if it's possible to do a wrap with them.

@Zorba has a white coating of some kind on his
159.jpg

RV roof coating - and yes it made a HUGE difference.

It CAN be done, however I don't recommend it in any way.
You're going to be much more satisfied by painting your hard-top.

Textured surfaces are a MAJOR no-go in the vinyl wrap industry due to low surface adhesion, and near impossible to properly eliminate trapped air pockets.
As a result, you can bet 9 times out of 10 to have a plethora of poor adhesion issues, as well as improperly sealed edges (which will ultimately peel back up).

IF you insist on doing it anyways, there are a few tools that can aid the installation process, and at least give you a few months of decent results.
One of these RollePro's is the tool needed for textured surfaces (used primarily for interior design/textured walls).

1708849170596.png

You'll also need to purchase some sort of adhesion promoter and edge-sealer.

Either way, installation of Vinyl Wrap on any textured surface is a temporary ordeal.
You only see textured vinyl work in areas like Malls, Supermarkets, etc. (places that only expect a few weeks of usage)

If long-lasting results are the goal, it will fail prematurely, and that is almost a guarantee.

I am a Certified Vinyl Wrap Installer through VVIVID , as well as a wholesale dealer/distributor for MetroRestyling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorba
My top has been epoxy coated and it smooth except for the factory ridges. I have considered painting the top white, I know white roof coatings are reflective but even white automotive paint would probably be a huge improvement. So I'll think this out some more and maybe go with white 2 stage automotive paint, or if I go with a roll on roof product I'll probably use Bus-Kote.

PS I already have a Hotheads headliner and it helps somewhat but still gets really hot when in the sun.

My top has been epoxy coated and it smooth except for the factory ridges. I have considered painting the top white, I know white roof coatings are reflective but even white automotive paint would probably be a huge improvement. So I'll think this out some more and maybe go with white 2 stage automotive paint, or if I go with a roll on roof product I'll probably use Bus-Kote.

PS I already have a Hotheads headliner and it helps somewhat but still gets really hot when in the sun.

I'm sure white automotive paint would be just as effective from a reflective standpoint - maybe even a bit more as its high gloss. I used the RV stuff as I had it, and its very easy to work with and patch if it gets chipped or whatever. Its flexible and supposedly (!!) has "some" insulation value. On the negative side, its dries "textured" which means it attracts and holds dirt. Not a lot, but enough to be noticeable if you care - I don't, its on top mostly out of sight. I scrub it once in a while, but when it gets too bad, it just has to be re-coated.

Reactions: Rickyd