Wrong parts sent after ordering from cooling system overhaul thread

sahara2000

TJ Enthusiast
I recently used the Cooling System Overhaul thread to purchase all the necessary parts on Amazon for my 2000 4.0L. I was going to start the overhaul today, but then I looked closer and saw that they sent me the wrong parts for the radiator cap and the thermostat. Both of the links on the overhaul thread go straight to a Stant product (for both the thermostat and the rad cap). But the parts I received were Motorad. The rad cap was in a Motorad box, so that was obvious, but the thermostat packaging was more deceptive. It came in a Stant Superstat box, but when I looked closer at the thermostat itself, it was a Motorad brand. (EDIT: I found something online that said Motorad bought Stant. Is that true, and if so, are the parts the same quality?)

It's not this forum's fault, of course, but I wanted to caution anyone who uses those links to verify the parts are correct when you receive them. Amazon has refunded me for those two parts, but now I've got to find a place to buy a real Stant rad cap and thermostat.

IMG-2636.jpg
IMG-2638.jpg

Furthermore, now I want to make sure the Mopar radiator I bought from the Amazon link is genuine. There is a Mopar symbol on it, but the sticker looks a bit worn. Can anyone tell if this is the real deal? If the part is new, why are several fins damaged and the sticker so worn?
IMG-2635.jpg

IMG-2634.jpg

IMG-2632.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like a legit Mopar radiator to me.

As for the Stant part, that’s the fault of either Amazon or the third party seller. I’ve used that same link and got the correct part, so you must have had a simple mix up. The nice thing about Amazon is they are quick and easy for returns.

Looks like a legit Mopar radiator to me.

As for the Stant part, that’s the fault of either Amazon or the third party seller. I’ve used that same link and got the correct part, so you must have had a simple mix up. The nice thing about Amazon is they are quick and easy for returns.
Thanks for putting eyes on this thread, Chris. I think you're right about the part mix-up. Amazon can be hit or miss, but most of the time they get it right. And they did make it right by refunding me.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for putting eyes on this thread, Chris. I think you're right about the part mix-up. Amazon can be hit or miss, but most of the time they get it right. And they did make it right by refunding me.
Another possibility is that someone bought it before you, swapped the new Stant out for their old thermostat they removed, then sent it back to Amazon for a refund.

I hear of this happening all the time. For small stuff like this Amazon usually has no idea.

Looks like Stant was sold recently: https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jul/14/vehicle-parts-maker-to-close-after-40-years/

From that article: "Stant's brand, starting in February 2020, was to be folded into that of the MotoRad company, a manufacturer that makes some of the same parts that Stant makes, according to one online reference."

Might be more and more difficult to get an original Stant product now. The question is whether the Motorad version of the part is the same quality. Here's hoping I can get some advice from @Jerry Bransford

Looks like Stant was sold recently: https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/2021/jul/14/vehicle-parts-maker-to-close-after-40-years/

From that article: "Stant's brand, starting in February 2020, was to be folded into that of the MotoRad company, a manufacturer that makes some of the same parts that Stant makes, according to one online reference."

Might be more and more difficult to get an original Stant product now. The question is whether the Motorad version of the part is the same quality. Here's hoping I can get some advice from @Jerry Bransford
Sorry I really don't have a clue about Motorad.

Reactions: sahara2000
I just did the overhaul and had the actual stant part so it might have been a mix up, unless motorad has the same quality. It'd probably be good to go regardless if the seller won't refund you.

Reactions: sahara2000
Looks like the Amazon listing (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C7YRNM/?tag=wranglerorg-20) itself is confused.

The part is called "Superstat Premium Thermostat" (which was a Stant model), but when you look really closely at the fifth picture on the listing, you can make out the MotoRad name:
motora.PNG

So there's some disconnect here on Amazon. I'm hoping the Motorad is basically the same as the Stant, but it looks like to me there may not be any more Stants made since they were bought out.

The radiator is correct. If the thermostat is labeled 195 and isn't bent it's fine. If the cap says 18 psi it's fine. You can get the cap for $1.85 and the thermostat for $1.13 from rockauto. It's not super but mine runs fine on regular.