WSJ article on YJ

Eh I was able to read it once now it seems like it’s behind a paywall. Here’s the text:

Jonathan Baker, 40, marketing director for Sid & Ann Mashburn, a renowned men’s and women’s clothier in Atlanta, on his 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ), as told to Mike Jordan.

I’d always wanted a Jeep. They just appealed to me—the look of them, the Spartan element, the utilitarian type of vibe. I just thought they were cool.

One of my best childhood friends, Chris Hannah, was a junior when I was a freshman at Collins Hill High School [in Suwanee, Ga., a northern suburb of Atlanta], and a mentor of sorts to me. He had one: A 1993 Wrangler (YJ), cherry red, with a lot of chrome and a great sound system. We’d go tooling around suburbia after school, before our drumline practice, listening to rock ’n’ roll.

?size=1.jpg

Jonathan Baker, 40, learned how to drive a stick shift in his 1995 Jeep Wrangler (YJ). ‘It reminds me to take risks. In so much of the things that you do in life, taking risks is where the secret sauce is.’AUDRA MELTON FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL
From 1987 to 1995 the Jeep YJ had rectangular headlights; they were replaced with round headlights in the TJ Wrangler model in 1996.

From 1987 to 1995 the Jeep YJ had rectangular headlights; they were replaced with round headlights in the TJ Wrangler model in 1996.AUDRA MELTON FOR THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

And to be hanging with an upperclassman in a Jeep with no top? It was like heaven. It was an introduction to independence. There was this levity that it brought—a lightness, excitement, adventure. My affection for the car started there, and that was 1995. There’s certainly some synergy there that I own a car from 1995.
In 2017, it was a time in my life when I was trying to think of something to improve myself—a new skill or hobby. I was trying to cope with [a divorce] and trying to think of creative ways to better myself as a man and as a dad. So I started looking on Craigslist, researching [Jeeps].
Some Jeep purists look down their nose at the YJs because they had rectangular headlights. I didn’t want the yuppie Jeep in a Wham! music video at a ski resort, but I really liked that the interior still felt like a military vehicle. It’s the last of the Wranglers that still felt old-school. And I didn’t mind the headlights. I liked the left-of-center design and it was an entry vehicle for me.
My dad taught me how to drive it in his sleepy little neighborhood, Peachtree Hills. He was great; patient, kind. I don’t know how I’d have ever had my dad teach me to drive a stick shift if it hadn’t been for me going through a hard time. He gave me the basics, I would come home from work and practice, and it was hard as hell. But there was an element of like, “Oh man, maybe I’ll take it on Peachtree Street for a few blocks tonight.”
Driving the vehicle is like playing a drum set, or dancing. You’re moving with the road, and all limbs have to be harmonious for the thing to work. It’s fabulous. And the waving of other Jeep owners is totally amazing. It’s like high-fiving somebody if you’re running and they’re running. It’s great every time, and it never gets old.
My son, Oliver, loves it. He likes getting in and climbing around. I want to go to the ice cream shop with him, or take him to a soccer game. All of that went into the intention of buying it.
Even driving in Atlanta, with the slopes, the hills and traffic, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Going no-doors on a nice day driving around Atlanta, I know that doesn’t seem like an adventure to many Jeep owners, but for me it’s like an adventure everywhere you go.

Thanks for copying the article text here! This article had popped up in my news feed, but I wasn't able to read it due to the paywall.

Wow, never thought I'd see a CJ7 described as a "yuppie Jeep" before. The irony is really funny here; he says he didn't want a yuppie Jeep, and then buys a YJ which many people make fun of by calling it the Yuppie Jeep (YJ) lol.

Good article though. Jokes aside, I wish more people would drive older Jeeps. And good on anyone for learning to drive manual, even at 40. My dad also taught me how to drive. Learning to drive manual was a rite of passage for 16 year old me.

Good article, though WSJ is pissing me off by making all their online articles subscription only.

What I want to know is how/why that guy had such a hard time learning how to drive a manual transmission. When I was 16 my sister called me to ask me to drive her VW home, she couldn't get it into Reverse lol. I had never driven a stick shift until then but by the time I got home with it I had figured it out. My daughter figured out my 5-speed TJ in a couple 20 minute lessons.

Good article, though WSJ is pissing me off by making all their online articles subscription only.

What I want to know is how/why that guy had such a hard time learning how to drive a manual transmission. When I was 16 my sister called me to ask me to drive her VW home, she couldn't get it into Reverse lol. I had never driven a stick shift until then but by the time I got home with it I had figured it out. My daughter figured out my 5-speed TJ in a couple 20 minute lessons.
Yea, I was wondering about that too. My dad taught me in about 5 minutes! In his '77 Rabbit - one of the most squirrely vehicles I've ever driven. The '63 GMC was a whole lot easier/nicer - but I could drive the Rabbit when I had to. The '71 Mercedes was in-between.

Reactions: khakitj and Ephry73
Besides WSJ sucking, this article has me on two different sides.

One Side:
After seeing the guy, leaning against someone's Jeep (OK it might be his), I can't be the only person that knows exactly why it took him almost 30 years to bother trying to drive a stick shift and why it took so long to learn when being taught. Just seeing him proves the claim that he is very successful at something like being a "marketing director...for a renowned men’s and women’s clothier". I also bet he probably never did much, if anything, mechanically. Beyond the picture, how could he have learned by doing anything mechanical when he was busy "tooling around suburbia after school, before drumline practice and listening to Wham!" FWIW, I did move "Wham" up into that "quote" but I bet it was his type of Rock and Roll.

The Other Side:
He needed to do something to improve his personal position in life. He remembered how cool a Jeep was. He was able to afford one, maybe get it fixed up some (no mention of that) and he learned to drive it. It may be somewhat of a mid life crisis decision but it ain't a bad decision and he can pass a lot of the Jeep feelings on to his son. I kinda wish he mentioned the son's age but it doesn't really matter, either he or his father (the grandfather) can teach the kid to drive it someday. Another good thing is that Jeeps can be chick magnets. They may not attract as many women as puppies do but he'll never have a difficult woman ask him for a ride (they don't like Jeeps). Who knows where it goes from there? Maybe the kid ends up with a step mom who teaches him to drive her stick shift TJ.

I figured this would stir some good discussion. You guys nailed it I think on several fronts. What I intended in linking it was to highlight the phenomenon that these jeeps are becoming a sort of status symbol for certain kinds of “normies” who want to check certain boxes. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it’s not unlike getting a tattoo or something. It’s just that seeing this in popular press does indicate that these vehicles are going to be maintaining or increasing value in the near future.

Just seeing him proves the claim that he is very successful at something like being a "marketing director...for a renowned men’s and women’s clothier". I also bet he probably never did much, if anything, mechanically
Haha I resemble that remark. I’m not in marketing for clothing but definitely in a field that is not exactly filled with big burly types. And before my Jeep I had hardly done anything mechanically.

However, I did learn to drive a stick in about 20 minutes in a Nissan Sentra from a used car salesman back in 2003.

Reactions: JEEPCJTJ
LOL, first stick shift I ever drove was in a ‘49 Ford. And I was 12 years old. They’re not difficult.

But, I guess for some, it is.

Personally, I’d hate to see early Jeeps become “that” kind of popular. And get so expensive that regular folks are priced out of ownership.

Reactions: khakitj and Zorba
LOL, first stick shift I ever drove was in a ‘49 Ford. And I was 12 years old. They’re not difficult.

But, I guess for some, it is.

Personally, I’d hate to see early Jeeps become “that” kind of popular. And get so expensive that regular folks are priced out of ownership.
We all need to buy and hold. Or should we start saying HODL.

Reactions: Jack72
Besides WSJ sucking, this article has me on two different sides.

One Side:
After seeing the guy, leaning against someone's Jeep (OK it might be his), I can't be the only person that knows exactly why it took him almost 30 years to bother trying to drive a stick shift and why it took so long to learn when being taught. Just seeing him proves the claim that he is very successful at something like being a "marketing director...for a renowned men’s and women’s clothier". I also bet he probably never did much, if anything, mechanically. Beyond the picture, how could he have learned by doing anything mechanical when he was busy "tooling around suburbia after school, before drumline practice and listening to Wham!" FWIW, I did move "Wham" up into that "quote" but I bet it was his type of Rock and Roll.

The Other Side:
He needed to do something to improve his personal position in life. He remembered how cool a Jeep was. He was able to afford one, maybe get it fixed up some (no mention of that) and he learned to drive it. It may be somewhat of a mid life crisis decision but it ain't a bad decision and he can pass a lot of the Jeep feelings on to his son. I kinda wish he mentioned the son's age but it doesn't really matter, either he or his father (the grandfather) can teach the kid to drive it someday. Another good thing is that Jeeps can be chick magnets. They may not attract as many women as puppies do but he'll never have a difficult woman ask him for a ride (they don't like Jeeps). Who knows where it goes from there? Maybe the kid ends up with a step mom who teaches him to drive her stick shift TJ.
I agree with your other side. It sounds like he's going through a mid life crisis or sorts. It feels like he needs something to latch onto, and he remembered how he always wanted an old Jeep. What bothers me is his reasoning. It kinda feels like he's in it as a status symbol. Which would be weird considering a decent used YJ doesn't cost too much. It's like he's thinking outside of the box for the sake of thinking outside of the box, and he's trying too hard. At the very least, his enthusiasm towards the Jeep doesn't seem genuine. This particular part here sticks out to me;

Some Jeep purists look down their nose at the YJs because they had rectangular headlights. I didn’t want the yuppie Jeep in a Wham! music video at a ski resort, but I really liked that the interior still felt like a military vehicle. It’s the last of the Wranglers that still felt old-school.

There's a lot going on here in just a few sentences. I'm not sure how a CJ7 feels like a yuppie Jeep. Compared to any newer vehicle, YJ included, they are as bare bones as can be. My buddy's CJ7 didn't even have a radio. Hell, you could get them from the factory without doors. I'm not sure how a YJ somehow feels more "old school" than a literal old school Jeep. Also nothing about a YJ's interior feels "military" to me. The YJ was never used for military purposes, at least not in the US. And if they were, the interior would almost certainly be different than the civilian model. The last Jeep used for military purposes, afaik, was the CJ10 truck - although I could be wrong (again, in the US - because I know TJs were used in Israel). Nearly all his reasoning for wanting a YJ doesn't make sense. Lastly, he calls the YJ the "last of the Wranglers that still felt old school" when the YJ is actually the first Wrangler. It just seems like a quick Google search could have sorted this guy out, and he's missing some simple and basic Jeep knowledge/history. To me, this all comes off as very disingenuous, maybe even a little arrogant.

On the other side, good for him for getting an old Wrangler and learning to drive stick.

People try to hard when writing anymore. Everything has to be emotional and a struggle.

Jeeps are so low geared they're easy to learn manual transmission on. Put them in first and they walk up smaller hills without touching the gas.

This article was the literary equivalent of a food picture after the first time you made your own scrambled eggs.

Had he taken it on a trip and talked about that, then there's a story. Otherwise he bought a stick shift convertible to drive around the hills of Atlanta. The "car" could have been an 85 VW Rabbit in this story and nothing changes.

This article was the literary equivalent of a food picture after the first time you made your own scrambled eggs.

The "car" could have been an 85 VW Rabbit in this story and nothing changes.

Maybe no major changes to the story, but if was an 85 VW Rabbit diesel (more torque/less weight than a Jeep) and it took him more than a couple minutes to learn to drive it, the story would have been a lot sadder and the picture would have been some broken eggs laying on the floor.

Reactions: khakitj and InOmaha
It's a nice enough story, but as some of you have noticed, it's a little bit sad, even pathetic. He's in fashion and marketing and gets divorced and needs his dad to teach him to drive a stick. I'm not trying to mock him at all; I'm a bit older than he is and just got my first Jeep in 2019 so I can partly relate. It's just sad because I think his situation is all too common. People are getting lost in life and looking for answers. And I'm pretty sure a Jeep isn't The Answer. A few weeks in a Bible-believing church or at least some Jordan Peterson videos would be a good start.

I think there's basically a crisis of masculinity in our culture. As a Gen X'er, I think the Boomers didn't do a great job of passing on what they'd received from their fathers. There's a can of worms I probably don't want to open...

His comment that the Jeep reminds him to take risks and risks are the secret sauce seems reasonable, but I think it's more apt to say that driving (and maintaining) an old Jeep gets one in touch with the physical reality around us. You feel Newton's laws at work with every action. You hear creaks and clunks and chugs. It's the same effect in a true sports car. Modern cars isolate one so much from the world it's almost like a cocoon. Or a coffin. Give me springs and levers over PCBs and LCDs. We're increasingly isolated from the physical world anyway with the constant screen time at work and play. The virtual life produces just that: a virtual life.

I'm grateful my dad raised me to fix things and use tools. He was an amateur mechanic and handyman, but I got a more than adequate foundation to build on. And yes he taught me to drive a stick shift before I turned 16 in a 1981 F-150. Every car I've owned since then has been a manual transmission, except for my wife's minivans. If I could have gotten a stick shift Odyssey I would have.

Reactions: Jack72 and khakitj
The Honda Odyssey, even with a stick shift, would just be another cocoon to put the kids in.

If I had my way, the wife and kids would have been in a 1990 Dodge Caravan SE with the Turbo Sport Package and the 5-speed. Turning up the boost, removing unneeded seats and swapping to slicks (on the front HA!) for some weekend drag strip action would have been a great touch to reality. Of course, combining my wife's (mental?) inability to use a clutch with a 13 yr old at the time, mini van like that would have sent us to divorce hearings. To avoid those, I let her pick and choose and we ended up with our first cocoon-van, an Olds Silhouette. Thankfully our van days are over and she bought a 2017 two door JK to drive in good weather.

Last edited:
Reactions: khakitj
I think there's basically a crisis of masculinity in our culture. As a Gen X'er, I think the Boomers didn't do a great job of passing on what they'd received from their fathers. There's a can of worms I probably don't want to open...
Your whole statement was pretty spot on in my opinion, but this part really struck a cord with me. I’m a gen x’er too and I had this problem with my dad and I’ll never understand it. He had this weird opinion that you have to figure things out on your own and that, if he gave advice that didn’t work out, he didn’t want to be responsible for that. I made a LOT of wrong turns in my life because he refused to give me any advice, even when I asked him directly for it. That generation of men held a ton of old school knowledge and he never passed it down. I don’t get it...🤷‍♂️