XJ fuel gauge isn't working

Thomas royal

hey, so I have a 1996 jeep xj, and the fuel gauge isn't working, it was at empty, then we filled it up and it went to below empty and hasn't moved sense, any ideas?
I have already checked and cleaned all the grounds

I would go to a xj forum but I cant find any good ones

Reactions: 97TJNM
hey, so I have a 1996 jeep xj, and the fuel gauge isn't working, it was at empty, then we filled it up and it went to below empty and hasn't moved sense, any ideas?

Welcome. NAXJA used to have good information for XJs, but a little hard to search.

Your issue could be a faulty sending unit or perhaps the float in the tank could be stuck. You can perhaps look up videos on Youtube that show how to figure our what is going on, there are good videos there.

Reactions: 97TJNM

Good luck... seriously. I have a 99 xj that my son is driving as his first car. They are plagued with Electrical and wiring issues. I cannot get the electric door locks to work reliably, and the entire gauge cluster dies occasionally, just for example. Check all your grounds and wiring, but as an XJ owner who is continually beating his head against the dash in frustration, just understand you're not alone in electrical problems! 🤣