Ya'll ever just get tired of dealing with one company's crap?

The Ram Man hub Locking-Hub-Conversion-Kits-150 is/was available for the TJ if you believe a YouTube video. It uses the UniBearing and looks to be a simple installation. Still need to bore out the center of most wheels for the hub to fit. Anyway is that hub vapor ware?? The only YouTube report on them was not favorable with at least 3 failed hubs on that one.

The Ram Man hub Locking-Hub-Conversion-Kits-150 is/was available for the TJ if you believe a YouTube video. It uses the UniBearing and looks to be a simple installation. Still need to bore out the center of most wheels for the hub to fit. Anyway is that hub vapor ware?? The only YouTube report on them was not favorable with at least 3 failed hubs on that one.
It was discussed at length over in one of the "which hub kit do I want?" threads. There were some issues with it.

Is which hub vaporware?

Why do they have to be this way? This single comment alone makes me want to throw rocks at him. There is absolutely nothing difficult or laborious to installing a spindle based hub conversion. If it takes anyone that long to do one, they need to hand in their YouTube certified mechanic's certificate and find another line of work.

1649866640391.png

standards only to the extend that Modbus RTU is standardized. So the data structure is pretty well standardized but there are still a lot of options within Modbus. Some manufacturers publish a huge modbus manual with every register described in detail so you can set up the client end just based on documentation. not these guys...gotta set something up and have a physical example of their device to try it out on to figure out the rest...and hope the one you're talking to in the field works the same way.

The HVAC industry has it's own standardized communication protocol called BACnet. It's extremely detailed and makes it really easy on the client side, but the server side is incredibly onerous. It includes a discovery feature where the client can poll the server and the server responds with every available point, all of it's properties (including a name, description, unit of measure and about a dozen more) so the integrator doesn't have to match it all up in a table. Normally it's not that big of an issue but my biggest customer has their own standard of how they want every variable to be named and described, and I can't use their variable names because they have spaces, so I have to do a manual overwrite operation to meet their requirements. I have a section of my program that has 1200 lines of code just to write strings to the BACnet server. It's a slow write process, so it's a user-triggered operation that only has to happen once, and I only write 20 values per program cycle to keep from slowing it down, and as a result it takes 75 program cycles to complete.

View attachment 322428
Ah yes, the "no dox conundrum'. Which is closely related to the "doesn't follow the dox catastrophe", which is in turn engendered by the "super secret undocumented command/register/memory location/whatever cluster fuck". BTDT with all of them...

I really, REALLY don't like using underscores anywhere - but with that said, what fucktard puts SPACES in variable names?

Why do they have to be this way? This single comment alone makes me want to throw rocks at him. There is absolutely nothing difficult or laborious to installing a spindle based hub conversion. If it takes anyone that long to do one, they need to hand in their YouTube certified mechanic's certificate and find another line of work.

View attachment 322437

Customer service is not very positive from what I remember seeing a while ago, not sure if it's any better today. Not a good sign.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads...-locking-hub-conversion-kit.16093/post-381397

Reactions: mrblaine
That was much smarter than it appears on the surface. I made prototype steel body Ranger style hubs with a drive flange set up for Superior.
View attachment 322434
I took a simple broken hub repair for 75 bucks at the time and turned into full blown catastrophic failure of practically the entire hub kit with the exception of the rotor. When the stub failed, it was typically a green stick fracture that then allowed the two ends to bypass inside the spindle. That ruined the spindle, the bearings, and the bearing hub. It was a total and complete abject failure. Oddly, the drive flange is basic 1018 CR round bar with no other pre or post material treatment and they survived without a single failure as did all the hub bodies. I employed a unique manufacturing method for them in that I turn the round splined body out of basic DOM, built in a 10 thou press fit, pressed that into a hole in the flange with a nice deep V groove at the juncture which we tig welded. Not a single failure of that joint.

Works for Inner C's pressed onto axle tubes, why not a hub body? I was right, it worked. I learned a fair bit from that experiment, the best lesson was painful.
Those would have at least helped the full floater but I can see where they were too much for the hub conversion. Nothing worse than a green stick fracture either especially inside a spindle or a locker.

Please stay as far away from the Ram Man as you can. That kit uses 98 ranger unit bearings and locking hubs which are the biggest piles of crap next to the 87-88 F150 flange mount hubs.

View attachment 322437
Everything about those guys is garbage. Their 03 and up Dodge kit uses a Ford unit bearing and axle stub that they machine so it does not even have adequate sealing of the pocket bearing so they send you a long straw to put on a can of spray lithium so you can pull the locking hub and spray grease down the spindle every couple thousand miles. Plus since the AAM ujoint and the Spicer are different by .007 you have to take an Spl55-3x and a 5006813 and mix caps so the ujoint actually works.

So why not get the names of their customer service reps and then call them out on their own social media sites? It grabs attention when it goes public about shitty service, Facebook has potential to fix cs if they will allow it

So why not get the names of their customer service reps and then call them out on their own social media sites? It grabs attention when it goes public about shitty service, Facebook has potential to fix cs if they will allow it
You mean the Ram Man? Do not bother their FB page has dozens of complaints on it and they do little to nothing to address them.

No, Yukon

I think they probably figured out that it's cheaper financially to deal with warranty/returns than spend the money for the upfront QC. Reputation suffers but amazingly they don't really care all that much.

Yukon sells allot of stuff, they don't give two shits about these small beans. It's great they make this stuff at all, complain enough and maybe they wont. They just churn this stuff out because they have it all dialed in already. Don't think they are going to spend two cents changing a thing, I can't see how that would make any financial sense. Enough bad publicity and they will just turn the switch off so it all goes away just like Warn did.

I think they probably figured out that it's cheaper financially to deal with warranty/returns than spend the money for the upfront QC. Reputation suffers but amazingly they don't really care all that much.
That is if you can actually get them to take care of it. They really have been shanking dealers lately.

Reactions: freedom_in_4low
They aren't dealing with it though. They are basically saying "too bad, so sad" to their dealers that trying to get stuff handled under warranty. I'm not dealing with any of the above issues myself, I'm working with what used to be one of their top dealers. Now he is racing to the bottom as fast as he can just due to issues like this and how they don't handle them.

They aren't dealing with it though. They are basically saying "too bad, so sad" to their dealers that trying to get stuff handled under warranty. I'm not dealing with any of the above issues myself, I'm working with what used to be one of their top dealers. Now he is racing to the bottom as fast as he can just due to issues like this and how they don't handle them.

That is if you can actually get them to take care of it. They really have been shanking dealers lately.

Wow. The rot is *much* worse than I imagined!