Yet another stereo upgrade question

Geno

Would love to hear from those that have recently upgraded their stereos. Been researching for the past month, finding it overwhelming what one can do.

2001 TJ pretty much Stock. I do like to run without the top, not a lot of highway, mostly trail riding in the backcountry of southern Nevada & Utah.

Not looking for a "Wow" replacement, just a simple total upgrade with a $1000 budget.

1) Replace head unit with standard radio, playing tunes from a iPhone. No navigation, cameras, CD players required. I would like a volume knob though, those trails can get bumpy.
2) All front speakers & rear sound bar.
3) It did come with the sub in the counsel, but that was hacked out & missing from the previous owner. I would just like to place a simple powered self enclosed under the drivers seat.
4) Ive researched Crutchfields but having issues finding a self contained sub that will work, it says nothing is available for my model year.

I'm a bit confused on wether I need a separate amp or if the head unit I purchase would work...depending on what I get.

Thanks to those that take the time in responding with what you've done with yours.

jeep.jpg

Reactions: John Cooper
Would love to hear from those that have recently upgraded their stereos. Been researching for the past month, finding it overwhelming what one can do.

2001 TJ pretty much Stock. I do like to run without the top, not a lot of highway, mostly trail riding in the backcountry of southern Nevada & Utah.

Not looking for a "Wow" replacement, just a simple total upgrade with a $1000 budget.

1) Replace head unit with standard radio, playing tunes from a iPhone. No navigation, cameras, CD players required. I would like a volume knob though, those trails can get bumpy.
3) It did come with the sub in the counsel, but that was hacked out & missing from the previous owner. I would just like to place a simple powered self enclosed under the drivers seat.
4) Ive researched Crutchfields but having issues finding a self contained sub that will work, it says nothing is available for my model year.

I'm a bit confused on wether I need a separate amp or if the head unit I purchase would work...depending on what I get.

Thanks to those that take the time in responding with what you've done with yours.

View attachment 429884

@skrelnik to the white courtesy phone….

🙂

At your budget, you can get a pretty good system given your needs.

But definitely plan on a decent 5 channel amp if you want to get the best out of your setup.

Why do you want to go away from the sub in the console?

Reactions: PNW_LJ
A decent head unit can run four of the Polk speakers just fine. You’d need a small amp for the subwoofer.

As Nashville said with a $1000 budget you could definitely swing a 5 channel amp for more power to speakers.

View attachment 429884

If you don't want to play tunes other than through a Bluetooth method, no radio, no CD etc., you have the option of a Bluetooth only amplifier, and you do not need a head unit.

If you want to go a tradition method,

1) $150 Head Unit - Kenwood Excelon KDC-X305. Go for the 705 if you want HD Radio. Great quality head unit with 5v preamp voltage and BT 4.2

2) For the ease of install you can go for 5.25" coaxial all around. If you want to roll up the sleeves and do a little work, I would recommend up front on the dash 5.25" components so you can mount the tweeters on the dash or a-pillar.

BLAM audio makes some really nice 5.25" that pull 2ohm. Relax series. Efficient, quality and budget friendly. Buy from this place, I and numerous others have bought from this place and they have the best prices and really quick shipping.

Coaxial
https://incartec.co.uk/product/BLAM-130RC-13cm-Relax-coax-2ohm-speakers-BL-130RC

Component - BLAM will need tweeter pods.

https://incartec.co.uk/product/BLAM...y-2ohm-2-Way-Component-speakers-PAIR-BL-130RS

or Kicker makes a component set that come with tweeter pods.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS50/Kicker-47KSS504.html

3) Subwoofer - Is the box/insert still there and the subwoofer itself was hacked? Or is that insert all done and that's why you want a self powered sub?

4) you will need an amplifier, but once you get back on items 2 and 3, if interested, I can point you to some amplifiers and/or self powered sub or center console sub.

🙂

But definitely plan on a decent 5 channel amp if you want to get the best out of your setup.

Thanks! Good call on the amp. How is the yellow TJ going? Need to jump into your build thread for an update.

A decent head unit can run four of the Polk speakers just fine. You’d need a small amp for the subwoofer.

As Nashville said with a $1000 budget you could definitely swing a 5 channel amp for more power to speakers.
I haven't found anything that can make those Polk speakers sound as good as any modern speakers, i.e. BLAM or Match.

🙂

I'll look into that 5 channel amp...thanks for the suggestion. Sub enclosure is totally gone, & damage to console itself.