YJ Dana 35 in TJ?

Sok1132

I have a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5l automatic with a completely rebuilt Dana 35 rear end and I just recently bought a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4.0l manual in which the Dana 44 rear end is failing, can I downgrade and use the Dana 35 out of my 95 in my 99? I just spent 1100.00 to have the Dana 35 rebuilt and now the 95 Wrangler has an engine issue so it’s just sitting and not being used. Just a waste! Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The 95 will be setup for leaf springs, and the 99 coil springs. If you wanted to change the spring perches, you could get it to work. The gear rations would also need to match.

If you wanted to change the spring perches, you could get it to work. The gear rations would also need to match.

I just can't help it but, this got me seeing shackle mounts welded to the frame to keep the leaf springs. And since the gears ratios have to match I can see bringing the YJ front axle too!

As for Sok1132's easiest (and possibly best long term) option: sell the rebuilt 35 and use that money towards rebuilding the 44.

Reactions: Daryl
What exactly is failing in the TJ's Dana 44? For the cost of converting a YJ Dana 35 to fit a TJ, a lot of maintainance and repair can be done to the existing axle.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
^^ This. If you are really in a pinch, jump on Craigslist. I bet there is someone willing to trade their discarded Dana 35 for a case or two of Coke or Mtn. Dew. Be careful of gear ratios, and recognize the potential of needing a new rear or modified DS.

If this dumbass on craigslist calls me back about a take-off Dana 44, you can have my Dana 35 (3:73 gears). I'm about 4 hours from Indy, we could meet up. You'll have to wait until I swap the axles though. Or, we can make a deal on your Dana 44 and save the hassle.