You know you're getting old when...

I take 4 ibuprofen before bed so I can sleep. Shoulders and knees.
It ain't the years, it's the mileage. :)

But I don't mind being a little older. It beats the alternative.

Reactions: Jerry Bransford
...Between my bent/swollen/bruised little toe I think I broke last night when I jammed it into the door jamb, the arm I damned near broke Saturday, and the torn rotator cuff (water skiing accident 20 years ago), I can barely move in the mornings. Not to mention I freaking turn 70 next month.:eek:
Well aside from the bad news of having turned 70 last summer, the good news is the docs figured out I don't have a torn rotator cuff after all. My last doc finally correctly diagnosed it as a "frozen shoulder" which can happen after a shoulder injury. To stop the pain, the shoulder decides to limit shoulder movement by adhering the shoulder together inside. The VA is giving me free weekly physical therapy and my therapist guarantees it'll be fine by the time she's done with me. When she first rotated my arm fully up to start limbering it up, it crunched like someone took a big bite out of fresh apple That sound was of the adhesions being pulled apart. Yowsa. :eek: :D

Just saw this thread from last year and it touched a chord with me. I definitely move slower than when I bought my first Jeep at 17 but keep moving and stay excited about the simple things in life.

I'm knocking on the door of 50 (30 years old with an extra 20 years experience) ;)
I'm young at heart, the guy who refuses to grow up, I maybe half a century on the planet but can still run rings around guys at work in their 30s... the key for me is to stay active, I'm always doing 'something' I try to never let the grass grow under my feet.
Cheers to you @Jerry Bransford 70years old and going strong :beer-toast1:

Well aside from the bad news of having turned 70 last summer, the good news is the docs figured out I don't have a torn rotator cuff after all. My last doc finally correctly diagnosed it as a "frozen shoulder" which can happen after a shoulder injury. To stop the pain, the shoulder decides to limit shoulder movement by adhering the shoulder together inside. The VA is giving me free weekly physical therapy and my therapist guarantees it'll be fine by the time she's done with me. When she first rotated my arm fully up to start limbering it up, it crunched like someone took a big bite out of fresh apple That sound was of the adhesions being pulled apart. Yowsa. :eek: :D
Sounds like that was good news for you! I’ve been thinking I have a torn rotor cuff, but watched a video on u tube and now hearing you, I’m hoping there is a simpler solution to my pain. I’m going to start some PT on my own at some point here to see if it helps. Glad you are on the road to recovery.

Sounds like that was good news for you! I’ve been thinking I have a torn rotor cuff, but watched a video on u tube and now hearing you, I’m hoping there is a simpler solution to my pain. I’m going to start some PT on my own at some point here to see if it helps. Glad you are on the road to recovery.
My physical therapist gave me a rope & pulley system that hangs off the top of a door and that is responsible for most of my improvement. I use my good arm to repeatedly hoist my bad shoulder's arm up & down which is really helping to free up the shoulder. It is key that the arm going to the bad shoulder gets a free ride up & down and that your good arm does all the work, don't try to assist or help with the bad shoulder at all.

You use the rope & pulley while seated facing away from the door with the bad arm's shoulder straight out front, then straight out to the side with the hand positioned so the thumb is up. She gave me a Home Ranger pulley system like you can find at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...ome+ranger+shoulder+pulley&tag=wranglerorg-20

She also suggested placing the bad arm in back & working it up-down with the pulley & rope like you're reaching upward to scratch between the shoulder blades or base of the neck. My shoulder still occasionally pops & crunches but it's definitely way better and getting better every day. She explained that with a frozen shoulder that this type of therapy can only help, it can't hurt it.

Keep in mind you're moving the bad arm in an ever increasing range to increase the range of motion for the shoulder to eliminate/break free the shoulder joint's internal adhesions that the shoulder grew inside as a defense to immobilize the shoulder to stop the pain from the earlier injury. That pain eventually reduces the shoulder's range of motion (via those adhesions that developed) to where you can no longer raise the arm up to even a horizontal position. Every time I think about it I raise my arm up over my head and work it back & forth as part of the therapy The further up & to the rear, the better. Good luck with it, I'm thrilled from having learned my shoulder pain was not really from a torn rotator cuff as several doctors had mis-diagnosed years earlier. Be sure to read up on therapy for a frozen shoulder too. :)

My physical therapist gave me a rope & pulley system that hangs off the top of a door and that is responsible for most of my improvement. I use my good arm to repeatedly hoist my bad shoulder's arm up & down which is really helping to free up the shoulder. It is key that the arm going to the bad shoulder gets a free ride up & down and that your good arm does all the work, don't try to assist or help with the bad shoulder at all.

You use the rope & pulley while seated facing away from the door with the bad arm's shoulder straight out front, then straight out to the side with the hand positioned so the thumb is up. She gave me a Home Ranger pulley system like you can find at https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=home+ranger+shoulder+pulley&sprefix=home+ranger+sho,aps,223&crid=1CH845XP0VCUY&rh=i:aps,k:home+ranger+shoulder+pulley

She also suggested placing the bad arm in back & working it up-down with the pulley & rope like you're reaching upward to scratch between the shoulder blades or base of the neck. My shoulder still occasionally pops & crunches but it's definitely way better and getting better every day. She explained that with a frozen shoulder that this type of therapy can only help, it can't hurt it.

Keep in mind you're moving the bad arm in an ever increasing range to increase the range of motion for the shoulder to eliminate/break free the shoulder joint's internal adhesions that the shoulder grew inside as a defense to immobilize the shoulder to stop the pain from the earlier injury. That pain eventually reduces the shoulder's range of motion (via those adhesions that developed) to where you can no longer raise the arm up to even a horizontal position. Every time I think about it I raise my arm up over my head and work it back & forth as part of the therapy The further up & to the rear, the better. Good luck with it, I'm thrilled from having learned my shoulder pain was not really from a torn rotator cuff as several doctors had mis-diagnosed years earlier. Be sure to read up on therapy for a frozen shoulder too. :)
Thanks. My symptoms are a bit different . Based on my internet diagnosing, I think I have bursitis or impingement. From what I’m reading , it’s a ton of excerises to do daily. But it’s gotten so bad that it’s really hurting doing simple tasks so I need to try something . Enjoy your pulley system, and getting movement back in your arm.

This thread reminds me of my grandma and her sisters and bersitas and rumatis.

You know you're old when you know the folks in the obituaries.
You know you are old when sitting home is better than drinking and dancing on a saturday night.

Age is mind over matter.......if you don't mind it doesn't matter.
I'm 67 and I (try) not to think of my age.....I just do what I want to do and it seems I'm always doing something. I was hard on my body when I was younger. Two shoulder surgeries and one knee surgery ..... all is fixed and I'm doing good. Had a tree fall on me two years ago when I was helping a friend on his ranch clear a road so we could get our Rzrs through. He had to cut it off of me so he could get me to the hospital. Smashed my right leg.....long story short....surgery and 7 days in the hospital. I'm back up on two good legs and feet and going strong. Still not taking advil or anything like that yet in the morning......just coffee! I do see a lot of people that are a lot younger then me say "Oh, I'm too old to do that".. If you think like that, you will be old before your time! You are never too old to do anything! My Mom just turned 92 and she is still living by herself and going strong.
Glad you are doing better and getting your PT done.....it is a pain, but worth every bit!!

Reactions: RussTJ
As my 92 year old friend states, "Age is just a state of mind". He adopted his first child at 70. Aye! I live by his words, but he is a very tough Scot.

I am only 52 and have been wildly tough on my body. Sports at high levels in college and then a highland athlete tossing the wee caber. AGH! My body hurts, but I just keep riding my bike. Have to see a chiropractor monthly for my messed up neck, but I can't complain as I feel as my 90+ year old friend states. Oh an my boss in my musical job? He is 94!!!!!!! I keep thinking he won't be there, but now I think he will hit 100!!

Last edited:
Jerry- I feel your pain -63 here. I went thru the thinking rotator cuff thing years ago and right at it's worst went to Canada on a 120 mile canoe trip and ate advil like candy- at the end i no longer had shoulder problems, My problem turned out to have been mixing office work with splitting wood with an 8# maul. No longer have that problem.
In 2008 i broke my back but 3 years after that I was backpacking again but yes- advil is part of life nowdays but how we think determines how young we feel.
My boss goes rock crawling with guys in their 70's and 80's - still crawlin and still rolling em over.

Jerry- I feel your pain -63 here. I went thru the thinking rotator cuff thing years ago and right at it's worst went to Canada on a 120 mile canoe trip and ate advil like candy- at the end i no longer had shoulder problems, My problem turned out to have been mixing office work with splitting wood with an 8# maul. No longer have that problem.
In 2008 i broke my back but 3 years after that I was backpacking again but yes- advil is part of life nowdays but how we think determines how young we feel.
My boss goes rock crawling with guys in their 70's and 80's - still crawlin and still rolling em over.

That's great....I know people in the 70's and 80's who can roll over in bed let alone in a Jeep lol

Reactions: Phil Younger
I'm not "old" I tell myself that every day. I turned 40 last year...I can definitely feel it now...Working on the concrete floor in my garage for the last couple months has taken its toll. I go to the chiropractor now for monthly adjustments. BUT, I stay active. I play ice hockey a couple times a week, I don't watch more than an hour of TV a day (most days, much less) and I have my fitbit set to a goal of 15,000 steps a day (which I normally hit). I'm going to fight aging with all my muster...until the day I die!

Its funny though, most of my friends are younger than me for some reason, 35, 36. They give me a hard time about being the "old guy" Well, I just like to remind them that I'm 5 years older than them, and still keeping up. We'll see how they feel in 5 years!

Reactions: Kathy
I hear you on the 8 lb splitting maul. I use to split alot of my wood that way. But 4 years ago my surgeon that fixed both my shoulders said "no more". I still cut all my firewood.... I carry the rounds to the hydraulic wood splitter that my wife likes to run.....team work!

I’m 40 and had shoulder surgery for a fully torn labrum 4 yrs ago. Still not fully functional and gives me a warning shot when I’m over using it. I thought I’d be back to normal in 6 months and now I’m thinking it’ll never be the same. Add it to the list I guess. My limit is reaching above my head mostly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk