You think you own your Tesla, but do you really?

There are horror stories out there on the issue of who really seems to own their Tesla. I've actually talked to a couple of Tesla owners on that very subject. Strangely, the owners don't seem bothered by it. Look up what happens to "your" Tesla once it's been wrecked. "Unsupported" is the key word to it all...

I personally believe this is where the automotive industry as a whole is heading. I think newer generations of drivers are going to view vehicles the same way the view their cell "phones" and other connected devices. You don't really own or have control over a cell phone, so it's easier for you to just turn on automatic updates and let it do its thing. Are you really going to break it open after 5 years to keep it going? Nope, just turn it in and get another one.

I thought about this a lot when I bought a new truck for the first time in '17. First new vehicle ever because I'm cheap. Since the purchase I've had it back at the dealer for about half a dozen software updates. As a former automotive tech that got me thinking; will this thing even be supportable in 20 years? At some point the manufacturer is going to cut ties with this truck... Manufacturers make their money selling new vehicles, not supporting old ones. Will there be enough of a need for the aftermarket to step in and support it, or by that time will folks just be "subscribing" to new trucks at a rate that aftermarket vendors no longer find it profitable to make new parts?

For whatever reason I still have an original iPhone in a drawer. It's no longer useable because it can't connect to the networks we have now. I think at some point vehicles will get there as well.

Last thing I read was average ownership length was 9 years. I was shocked it was that long. As society continues down the path of disposable everything, expect nothing to last more than a few years.

As vehicles become more and more electronically sophisticated, techs are going to have to be, for the most part, IT trained. The hard parts rarely break, it is the software that controls them is where the trouble generally lies.

Reactions: Chris
There are horror stories out there on the issue of who really seems to own their Tesla. I've actually talked to a couple of Tesla owners on that very subject. Strangely, the owners don't seem bothered by it. Look up what happens to "your" Tesla once it's been wrecked. "Unsupported" is the key word to it all...

I watched all the YouTube videos about this as well. The more I watch the more I realize you don’t own that car at all, even if it’s paid for.

I mean what happens if Tesla were to completely go out of business? Your vehicle would be bricked.

I agree with everything said so far.

Cars are becoming disposable like appliances or other technology. People will own them for several years and then upgrade to a new one.

Because of that, I guess the majority of the public doesn’t have to worry about the manufacturers no longer supporting them, as they won’t own it long enough to worry about that.

But can you imagine trying to “restore” a 2019 Jeep Wrangler JL 50 years from now?

I can guarantee it won’t be anything like restoring a 69 Camaro!

Reactions: Hog