Your evolution as a mechanic

First 50 years all I did was all of my own oil changes & all other fluids & filters, belts, hoses, tire rotations & such, just the most basic maintenance stuff. Honestly never had an interest in doing any more, but then I’ve never been any kind of motor head, car guy or Jeep guy either, vehicles to me have always been a necessary evil rather than something fun so I’ve always opted for simple & reliable cars over fun ones…

Then the TJ happened & I’ve done more to it than everything that came before it combined, & will continue as modifications and repairs present themselves. I’m still a rank novice by the standards here but I’ve come a long way compared to who I’ve been most of my life… and must say I’ve enjoyed it a great deal

Nice! Does your wife work on your Jeep with you? Mine does. She loves the Jeep and like she says, "all the guy stuff".:)
She always offers help and will hang out in the garage with me but usually doesn't do the wrenching. While growing up she had to help her Dad because she didn't have brothers. When I started I took over the helper role and then took over the jobs entirely (her Dad had retired due to health problems) with him supervising the larger jobs. This past weekend I asked her to help me find a front end squeak on the '97 because she's definitely got better hearing than me. She confirmed what I was thinking and I've ordered some Spicer u-joints and hubs to replace both sides.

Reactions: Squatch
Being from the Bluegrass State, I would like to say that I have mechanical ability in my DNA BUT my dad's tool box consisted of duct tape, a hammer and a flat head screwdriver. I think he had a drill too. He was a bit of a lazy alcoholic.

He had a POS 78 Scout II that he "would let me drive" but required me to fix it first without any tools or help. Over about a week, me and a couple of my friends fixed a ton of problems using borrowed tools and a Chilton's or Hayne's manual we got at Western Auto.
He then promptly started driving it himself. :(
In the mid 80s, me and my neighborhood buddies spent a lot of time fixing our daily drivers out of necessity. Example: We swapped a 60s 327 into my 74 Chevelle in a guy's back yard after I blew the 305. We did it over a weekend with hand tools and an "engine hoist" made from a swing set and a tow chain.

Later on, I started hanging out with a friend (That's him in my "Project Jackass" thread) whose dad owned and auto repair shop and he let me fix my junk and help out around there once in a while, warning me that if his insurance company found out I was to tell them I broke in.
Over the years me and that same friend have fixed and built numerous old hot rods and 4x4s and dailies.

On a related note, I started learning about home repairs in my very early 20s (circa 1985) by watching This Old House and Home Time on PBS.

I first learned on my Honda 90 at 15 y.o. I used my Honda to throw my paper route. And my best friend had a motorcycle too so he got me started. My best friend in high school was a mechanical genius and had a 1940s truck frame with a 6 banger engine, 3 on the tree, battery and bench seat. No body. we would drive it around the neighborhood and wrench on it.
Then in college I lived with 2 other guys, We all had fast 1st generation Camaros. All we did was wrench and race and hot rod our Camaros.
Of course my 1970 Z/28 balanced 350 with well over 400 HP wasn't fast enough so I pulled the 3.73 gears and installed 4.11s which made it insanely fast for a street car. College came along and I sold it, sniff, sniff..waaaah !
Forgot cars for a couple or 3 decades till I bought this Tj kinda by accident last November :)
Now im blowing the dust off my tools and Having a blast wrenchin and driving and learnin bout tjs n all the stuff in the Jeep world. :)

Most of my interest was in bicycles and dirtbikes as a kid.
I started work in my first bicycle shop at the age of 15.
I rebuilt my first engine at the age of 16.

My dad is an engineer and he did his apprenticeship with Formula Ford.
He taught me a lot through my mid teens to mid twenty's, especially in fabrication and machining.

After 10 years in bicycle shops I did a mature age apprenticeship in automotive. I did my back in on the first year which slowed me down and eventually I went back to bicycle.

My main interests now are engine conversions and fabrication. Mostly EFI conversions into older cars.

I'm still a bicycle mechanic (22 years now) and have taking an interest in sign writing over the past several years.

Unfortunately I have too many interests/hobbies that I've always got too much on my plate which usually results in not much happening :risas3:

First off, I'd like to say that this is easily my favorite thread on here. There are so many variations as to how we all got here, and yet so many common denominators. I think that is awesome.

So, to begin with, I tell people that I am most assuredly not a mechanic. I'm a hobbyist. Maybe an extreme hobbyist, but a hobbyist, nonetheless. That keeps people from constantly asking me to fix something, or expecting me to know all the answers to every car problem they encounter. ;)

I have been in love with the automobile my entire life. My father and every single uncle from both sides of the family, plus one grandfather, were all car guys. Mechanics, body men, painters and drag racers. To say that I came by this honestly is an understatement. Like @piratemonkey, I started with bicycles, because it was what I could afford, and it's how an 8 year old boy got around. By the time I was 14, I had a fella offer to set me up a shop in the back of his "secondhand store" repairing bicycles to be sold out front. Unfortunately, we were moving across the country within two weeks, so I had to decline. Bummer.

I can honestly say, without exaggeration or embellishment, that I have owned over 300 vehicles since I bought my first one at the age of 15. It was a '52 Studebaker half-ton pickup that I stripped down to the frame and started my first amateur restoration. By the time I was 16, I owned it, a '60 Chevy 1/2 ton, a '49 Ford 2-door sedan, and a '67 Dart GT, all at the same time. I wrenched, bought, and sold constantly. It would become a way of life for me, as I discovered that not only did I love wrenching on 'em, but I also loved the "thrill of the hunt". It's an illness.

It is a very, very rare thing for me to let someone else work on my vehicles. I don't believe anyone else will put in the same amount of care for my vehicle that I will, so I don't risk it. That, and I'm a cheap bastard. I won't pay someone else to do something I know I'm capable of doing myself.

On a final note, as much as I claim to despise modern technology, I have to admit that the advent of the internet has made me a better "hobbyist". Youtube is great, as sometimes I see a better way of doing something, and sometimes I can look at it and determine that the guy I'm watching is a blithering idiot for doing it the way he is. Either way, I learn, and I love that.

It’s such a paradox because to tell the truth I think I lied when Mr. Steele asked me if I’d ever assembled a bike. He meant motorcycle, I meant bicycle. He needed a mechanic at the Pit Stop, I needed a job and I had been modifying my bicycles since I was 11 or 12. Pop had ten thumbs so I don’t know why I loved wrenching so much. That night I went to Sears and applied for $300 credit to buy tools so I could report to my new job the next morning. It was fantastic, I assembled motorcycles out of the crate, then I learned I had a talent for tech manuals. I eventually became the shop manager. That’s the only time I was ever a paid mechanic 1973-1974 but I’ve put that experience to use ever since. The Craftsman tools are still in my tool box, still working fine. Over the years I’ve restored three cars (my fave was a 52 MG replicar) and kept dozens more running while rebuilding and modifying dozens of motorcycles (not to mention 35years of yard implements.) I was really looking forward to working on the Sahara but cancer surgery has me on the drs restriction for a while longer, it’s amazing the things you can’t do when you’re limited to lifting a gallon of milk. It was frustrating to have resort to allowing the local tire guys replace my shocks but I’d rather be able to ride now and not wait until I’m able to lever a torque wrench. Priorities.

It’s such a paradox because to tell the truth I think I lied when Mr. Steele asked me if I’d ever assembled a bike. He meant motorcycle, I meant bicycle. He needed a mechanic at the Pit Stop, I needed a job and I had been modifying my bicycles since I was 11 or 12. Pop had ten thumbs so I don’t know why I loved wrenching so much. That night I went to Sears and applied for $300 credit to buy tools so I could report to my new job the next morning. It was fantastic, I assembled motorcycles out of the crate, then I learned I had a talent for tech manuals. I eventually became the shop manager. That’s the only time I was ever a paid mechanic 1973-1974 but I’ve put that experience to use ever since. The Craftsman tools are still in my tool box, still working fine. Over the years I’ve restored three cars (my fave was a 52 MG replicar) and kept dozens more running while rebuilding and modifying dozens of motorcycles (not to mention 35years of yard implements.) I was really looking forward to working on the Sahara but cancer surgery has me on the drs restriction for a while longer, it’s amazing the things you can’t do when you’re limited to lifting a gallon of milk. It was frustrating to have resort to allowing the local tire guys replace my shocks but I’d rather be able to ride now and not wait until I’m able to lever a torque wrench. Priorities.
"Priorities" is right. I pray that all goes well with your recovery, my friend. No one should have to deal with the big "C". Ain't nothin' right about that stuff. Here's hopin' you'll be back to wrenching soon!

Tracking the cabin leak will be the first thing when I can bend and twist so that I can start considering seat repairs. I’ve already replaced the audio system and added the requisite soft top. Then when I’m able to apply myself I’ll tackle that common valve cover leak. They got it out before it killed me so I’m on bonus time, once I learn the dance steps for living with one kidney I’ll be good to go.

I've lived in an apartment pretty much since I was a teenager forward up until recently and never really had a garage to work in. I also never really had many mechanical people in my life until I met my father-in-law about 6 years ago and learned about how he was restoring an old Chevelle (I think it's a 67?). I now live across the country from him so I don't get to call him up for assistance as much, but he's considering moving up here to MN as well, which would be awesome since it would be nice to have a partner for some future car projects.

It's really only been within the past year that I've tried to really dig in and learn more about cars (or Jeeps), so I'm about as amateur as it comes. However, since mining online resources such as YouTube, Google, and of course, this forum, I've learned a lot that's been really useful.

So far, the biggest things I've done have been fixing my AC (replacing blow blower motor and broken vacuum line), treating/sealing under body rust, adding new bumpers, and installing a winch. I know this is really basic stuff, but it's felt really good to handle these things myself and I'm really looking forward to learning more and more so that I can become as self-sufficient for vehicle maintenance as possible.

Fortunately, this is a really great time to be able to learn new skills, thanks to all the awesome people who help by sharing their skills. Yes, the technology of computers is great, but it's really thanks to the people like many of you here, who take the time to share your knowledge that really make the internet awesome.

My father was always tinkering and playing in the garage, I was always right next to him. He built a 1980 kit car called the bradley GT on a VW bug base so I got to help dismantling and building the kit car. When I was 15 my brother got a 67 mustang convertible and he knew nothing about cars (still doesn't) I changed the oil, tuned it up swapped out the dash and gauges on that one. My first toy car was a 72 Spitfire..I chased down all the electrical gremlins, rebuilt the suspension, put a new clutch in using a cheap socket set that I still use daily today 30 years later. Amazing that I figured all that i the pre-internet days.

Nowadays I made life easier by putting in a 4 post lift to get under the cars...I still am not at the apptitude as a bunch of you guys but have fun trying.

He built a 1980 kit car called the bradley GT on a VW bug base so I got to help dismantling and building the kit car. When I was 15 my brother got a 67 mustang convertible
I remember the Bradley GT well. In fact, there's one that showed up on Craigslist here that I just noticed yesterday. Haven't seen one in years. Also, I found a '67 Mustang convertible for my Dad (he was into restoring Mustangs). Absolutely zero rust, 289 and an automatic, extremely straight body......$2,500! My Dad was floored by the screaming deal. :)

Last edited:
I remember the Bradley GT well. I fact, there's one that showed up on Craigslist here that I just noticed yesterday. Haven't seen one in years. Also, I found a '67 Mustang convertible for my Dad (he was into restoring Mustangs). Absolutely zero rust, 289 and an automatic, extremely straight body......$2,500! My Dad was floored by the screaming deal. :)
I would love to find that mustang deal now!

I would love to find that mustang deal now!
I followed it up with a '66 Mustang fastback, rust-free, 289 and auto (though I later discovered it was originally a 4-speed car) for...again...$2,500. I did a tune-up, threw some decent tires on it, and drove it from Seattle, Washington to Saratoga Springs, New York in three and a half days. I then presented it to my uncle as a birthday present. Needless to say, I'm his favorite nephew, now! LOL

I grew up in the south central/ South Park area in Seattle. I knew nothing about cars. When I got my first car, my friends had to teach me how to put gas in it. My first car was a 66 Dodge Dart. Paid 300 for it. Ran like crap. Me and my friends tried to give it a tune up and killed it. I was never able to get it running again. I junked it and bought a 50 dollar beetle. I drove that around and kept it running for a while. I got into a little trouble. That is for another forum though, and I took refuge at my friends house that lived in Everett WA. I got a job at a shop there, and I just got it. I was finally making some money and doing pretty well. I was the fastest tech in the shop. I upgraded my vw to a 72 Ford Bronco, and I learned how to rebuild the motor in that shop. We built a 302 with a 351 cam and some cool trick shit like that. I was hooked. I built the crap out of that Bronco and beat the shit out of it. I later sold that and bought a Blazer that was a full convertible. It was pretty beat. I learned how to rebuild turbo 350's and do cool shit like sand down a piston, and add an extra clutch plate in the low reverse pack for towing. I learned how to do shift kits without buying shift kits. I later changed the drive train to a turbo 400 with a dana 20 transfer case in my Blazer. I loved working in that shop, and I was doing great. Then I got too full of myself, and was asked by the Marysville Chevrolet to come work for them. I got scouted. The owners of the shop I worked at were friends with the dealer. I was pretty much untouchable, or so I thought back then.

Once I got to the dealer I found out soon that it was a whole other ball game. I was chasing down rattles, once I fished a live snake out of a dashboard, I was doing warranty work. If I did engine work, I was replacing and not rebuilding. It didn't pay well compared to what I was getting paid. After about a year I quit. I moved too far away from the original shop I used to work, and I feel I may have burned the bridge by leaving, so I worked some independent shops for a while including a clutch shop that had no racks. I flatbacked clutches in a small shop for shit money thinking that I wasn't that good. I really got humbled at the dealership. After being down a little, I saw an ad at the Nissan dealership, so I decided to start at the bottom as a lube tech. I got hired at the same wage as the clutch shop, if you can believe that. I worked there for about a year, and they asked me if I could do a clutch in a front wheel drive Chevy car. One you had to remove the frame in. I told them I could, and they let me do it to save an employee money that owned it.

I was able to replace the clutch in just a little over two hours removing the frame and reinstalling the frame. They couldn't believe it so they asked me if I wanted to be the Nissan transmission guy. Of course I said yes. Then after another year the dealership split up and moved, and I decided not to go with it, so I went to Toyota for a few years. I started as a general line tech then moved onto the drivability/electrical tech. I did that for many years then they started working Saturdays, and I was missing my son's sporting events, so I went to Ford. I worked at Ford for a year and absolutely hated it. There is not enough room on this forum for the shit that they do.

So I quit working on cars and took a job working at my friends Internet Service Provider in Monroe and never looked back. I am now a Linux engineer. My mechanic career spanned 13 years. But I never stopped. I have been 4 wheeling and tracking motorcycles throughout my life starting about the time I was 17 of which I didn't even know how to put gas in my car.

Nowadays you will find me in Arizona probably spending too much time here, working on servers all day, then coming home, and building my toys in the garage and camping on the weekends, when I can get out.

This is kind of the story of how I got started, and ended haha. I hope I didn't bore you too much!

I grew up in the south central/ South Park area in Seattle. I knew nothing about cars. When I got my first car, my friends had to teach me how to put gas in it. My first car was a 66 Dodge Dart. Paid 300 for it. Ran like crap. Me and my friends tried to give it a tune up and killed it. I was never able to get it running again. I junked it and bought a 50 dollar beetle. I drove that around and kept it running for a while. I got into a little trouble. That is for another forum though, and I took refuge at my friends house that lived in Everett WA. I got a job at a shop there, and I just got it. I was finally making some money and doing pretty well. I was the fastest tech in the shop. I upgraded my vw to a 72 Ford Bronco, and I learned how to rebuild the motor in that shop. We built a 302 with a 351 cam and some cool trick shit like that. I was hooked. I built the crap out of that Bronco and beat the shit out of it. I later sold that and bought a Blazer that was a full convertible. It was pretty beat. I learned how to rebuild turbo 350's and do cool shit like sand down a piston, and add an extra clutch plate in the low reverse pack for towing. I learned how to do shift kits without buying shift kits. I later changed the drive train to a turbo 400 with a dana 20 transfer case in my Blazer. I loved working in that shop, and I was doing great. Then I got too full of myself, and was asked by the Marysville Chevrolet to come work for them. I got scouted. The owners of the shop I worked at were friends with the dealer. I was pretty much untouchable, or so I thought back then.

Once I got to the dealer I found out soon that it was a whole other ball game. I was chasing down rattles, once I fished a live snake out of a dashboard, I was doing warranty work. If I did engine work, I was replacing and not rebuilding. It didn't pay well compared to what I was getting paid. After about a year I quit. I moved too far away from the original shop I used to work, and I feel I may have burned the bridge by leaving, so I worked some independent shops for a while including a clutch shop that had no racks. I flatbacked clutches in a small shop for shit money thinking that I wasn't that good. I really got humbled at the dealership. After being down a little, I saw an ad at the Nissan dealership, so I decided to start at the bottom as a lube tech. I got hired at the same wage as the clutch shop, if you can believe that. I worked there for about a year, and they asked me if I could do a clutch in a front wheel drive Chevy car. One you had to remove the frame in. I told them I could, and they let me do it to save an employee money that owned it.

I was able to replace the clutch in just a little over two hours removing the frame and reinstalling the frame. They couldn't believe it so they asked me if I wanted to be the Nissan transmission guy. Of course I said yes. Then after another year the dealership split up and moved, and I decided not to go with it, so I went to Toyota for a few years. I started as a general line tech then moved onto the drivability/electrical tech. I did that for many years then they started working Saturdays, and I was missing my son's sporting events, so I went to Ford. I worked at Ford for a year and absolutely hated it. There is not enough room on this forum for the shit that they do.

So I quit working on cars and took a job working at my friends Internet Service Provider in Monroe and never looked back. I am now a Linux engineer. My mechanic career spanned 13 years. But I never stopped. I have been 4 wheeling and tracking motorcycles throughout my life starting about the time I was 17 of which I didn't even know how to put gas in my car.

Nowadays you will find me in Arizona probably spending too much time here, working on servers all day, then coming home, and building my toys in the garage and camping on the weekends, when I can get out.

This is kind of the story of how I got started, and ended haha. I hope I didn't bore you too much!
Awesome story! I worked at a shop called Virg's Brake and Suspension in Mount Vernon. Worked there for about a year and a half after high school. Then my wife and I packed up and moved to upstate New York, where I'm from. Took a job at a Ford dealership, but me and the shop manager never did see eye-to-eye. He let me go after six months. I did other odd jobs for a bit, before I decided that I really wanted to get away from the east coast, so we moved back to Washington. I decided at that time that I loved my cars as a hobby more than I did as a career, so I took the job that I have now, which has nothing to do with wrenching. Been here for 34 years...