Your Jeep bug bit me

Thanks! I like the look of yours with the wheels and everything black. Would also like to have a hardtop.

What are your thoughts on keeping your Jeep clean? This is my first black vehicle and I've heard others say it's easier to see dirt and scratches. Any tips?
Getting dirty off road does not bother me. They definately show dirt and dust more than lighter colors. That prompts me to wash after use and wax it monthly. Black may get dirty easier, but when it is clean it stands out in a crowd. I do keep it OCD clean, inside and out as well as underneath. Soon as I am back from R&R the top comes off, the half doors go on and it is play time.

Reactions: thomat65
And he's calling it a Wrangler, not a TJ/LJ...one more infraction.

See.. there you go....if we don't keep an eye on it pretty soon someone's going to be on here trying to say they've got a Wrangler and what they got is Wrangler jeans.

Who knows what that could lead to.

‘Software Engineer’ indeed! Sounds like newspeak for hacker. Better keep an eye on him. Wink, wink, nod, nod.;)

Haha! I'll have to update my profile then. I'll have to say more than just "Well, now I've got a Jeep" because that's pretty generic. How about "Proud that my newest car is a Wrangler. I like that the rig has ample trunk space for groceries, is a convertible, and that the spare donut is right there on the back of the cab in easy reach! The running boards are also handy for hopping into this truck!"

• Haha
Reactions: reddvltj
Haha! I'll have to update my profile then. I'll have to say more than just "Well, now I've got a Jeep" because that's pretty generic. How about "Proud that my newest car is a Wrangler. I like that the rig has ample trunk space for groceries, is a convertible, and that the spare donut is right there on the back of the cab in easy reach! The running boards are also handy for hopping into this truck!"
I'm gonna puke.

:ROFLMAO:

May my sentence be commuted if I include Mr. Neuman in elements of the new profile picture? For example if I get Alfred E. Neuman embroidered on seat covers and floor mats, and those are visible in the new picture?
You shouldn’t have to go that far, but the Jeep’s gotta have a name, and Alfred is a name

Reactions: Hog and thomat65
Congrats. I can't wait to see how the jeep comes out.

Hard to tell from the pics but that paint is probably salvageable with some microfiber cutting pads and some cutting compound. See here for my paint correction. https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/paint-correction-progress.27361/

Fluids will be easy, I've done most of that on my jeep so I can give tips/tricks/advice as needed.

Plugs will make it run like new. I got these and could not believe the difference.

Valve cover gasket sucks.

Faded flares can apparently be fixed by peanut butter.

Been watching ya Alfred... excellent job on getting the Jeep in Texas.. hope it turns out to be exactly what you wanted..

Here's my plan:
  1. Rebuild the transmission
  2. Fluid film all the things
  3. Replace all fluids to get a baseline
  4. Fix all the things: misfire from coil pack and/or old plugs, busted fog lamp, faded soft top, faded plastic trim, crows feet in the clear coat, worn out floor mats, missing radio knobs, etc etc
  5. Follow the maintenance schedule and keep detailed records
  6. Enjoy it for six months and then debate with @AndyG about the future of my profile picture
  7. Continue enjoying the Jeep!

The transmission shop finished with it last week. They were very impressed that the skid plate bolts came right out and were completely rust free. They said the bolts still had the original blue thread locker 😲

This week my wife and I have been down in Kentucky visiting my folks for Christmas so I've gotten to drive it around some. I've put 50 or 60 miles on it so far and here are my observations:

Wow, gas mileage is terrible. A quarter tank of gas is about 65 miles, and the factory build sheet says "5 Additional Gallons of Gas". Does that mean I've got a 19+5=24 gallon tank and I'm getting barely better than 10mpg?

It has a light vibration at cruising speed that goes away when I take my foot off the gas. We're working on narrowing that down.

The soft top is in bad shape. With this awesome warm weather we're having here I started trying to put the top down but it tore as I undid some of the Velcro. And my hands were black and gummy from the deteriorating vinyl. So it's staying on until I have a replacement. And I can't see anything out those plastic windows they're so foggy.

The shocks seem to be worn out. It keeps bouncing when you jounce it.

The steering is numb and imprecise.

The oil pressure gauge likes to dive to zero and jump back up sometimes when idling. My dad is confident it's the connector on the oil pressure sending unit.

And finally: in spite of its many flaws, this Jeep is loads of fun to drive! I've been taking different family members out for little drives.

I still need to change fluids and apply fluid film. I hope to do that tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: sa1126 and DrDmoney
The transmission shop finished with it last week. They were very impressed that the skid plate bolts came right out and were completely rust free. They said the bolts still had the original blue thread locker 😲

This week my wife and I have been down in Kentucky visiting my folks for Christmas so I've gotten to drive it around some. I've put 50 or 60 miles on it so far and here are my observations:

Wow, gas mileage is terrible. A quarter tank of gas is about 65 miles, and the factory build sheet says "5 Additional Gallons of Gas". Does that mean I've got a 19+5=24 gallon tank and I'm getting barely better than 10mpg?

It has a light vibration at cruising speed that goes away when I take my foot off the gas. We're working on narrowing that down.

The soft top is in bad shape. With this awesome warm weather we're having here I started trying to put the top down but it tore as I undid some of the Velcro. And my hands were black and gummy from the deteriorating vinyl. So it's staying on until I have a replacement. And I can't see anything out those plastic windows they're so foggy.

The shocks seem to be worn out. It keeps bouncing when you jounce it.

The steering is numb and imprecise.

The oil pressure gauge likes to dive to zero and jump back up sometimes when idling. My dad is confident it's the connector on the oil pressure sending unit.

And finally: in spite of its many flaws, this Jeep is loads of fun to drive! I've been taking different family members out for little drives.

I still need to change fluids and apply fluid film. I hope to do that tomorrow.
Welcome to all that is TJ/LJ, glad you got the trans fixed, I wouldn’t go by the gauge to calculate mileage, check that your speedo is accurate first. Oh and no your tank is not 5 gallons bigger.

Mine drops from full down to 3/4 quickly then slows down as it moves through the range. Sometimes it's goes up from day to day.

When it's in the red close to empty I put in around 14 gallons into the larger tank. So I could probably run on empty for quite a while. It's winter here and I try to remember to keep more fuel in the cars anyway so I fill it before it gets too low. I get around 16mpg in town. I replaced the spark plugs and that helped a lot. Four of them were around double the design gap and a couple were higher. I think the best of the six was .065 instead of .035 gap. I'm actually a little surprised mine wasn't running rougher.

So tune your Jeep up a little before you worry about gas mileage and as noted, don't use the gauge for accuracy. It's a general suggestion on when to fill up.

Ran out of time between visiting with family and the failed valve cover gasket replacement attempt. But, it has fresh motor oil, differential fluid, air filter, and greased fittings. And a new under hood light bulb. It's the little things 🙂

That valve cover gasket is a real treat. Seemed like every plastic piece we looked at sideways broke. And too much plastic is in close proximity to the valve cover. And why in the world did they attach the wiring harness to the valve cover and make that plastic bridge so difficult to remove?? I couldn't even see the rear drivers side stud, and while poking my fingers back there to see what was up the little plastic lock tabs broke 😬 At least I learned there was no nut there, because I would have to cut through the firewall from inside to reach it if there was one haha!

Like I said my dad and I ran out of time. And that held up oiling the frame. So everything's going to have to wait until another day. But it'll stay parked down in Kentucky until the spring anyway, so no worries.

Reactions: reddvltj
Let's see if I can remember what has happened this year...

My brother drove it up from Kentucky when he and his family visited on the 4th.

It has a new soft top
784828c2-84bf-4f09-ad0a-de79b0d4aadd.jpg

And new shocks. The Rancho RS5000X have been a good replacement over the blown OEM shocks. Smooth as butter after dropping the tire pressure down from 40 PSI too lol.

And some seat covers to keep the original seats fresh for the next guy.
IMG_7248.JPG

And the fog lights are no longer stuck on.
IMG_20200912_200307.jpg

And another radio donated the missing knobs.
IMG_20200615_124952.jpg

And now there's a fire extinguisher in back.
IMG_20200916_224324.jpg

It's wife, baby, and nephew approved!
IMG_20200815_195206.jpg

IMG_7193.JPG

I also drained the transfer case fluid. Looked a little overdue but smelled great!
IMG_20200515_190305.jpg

And I upgraded the laggard 4.0 to a Honda 3.0 for that special WOT VTEC sound, 100 more HP, and buttery smooth torque all the way to redline!
IMG_20200521_224723.jpg

Okay, okay, the VTEC only has 50 more HP. And less torque.

Last edited:
Let's see if I can remember what has happened this year...

My brother drove it up from Kentucky when he and his family visited on the 4th.

It has a new soft top
View attachment 192880

And new shocks. The Rancho RS5000X have been a good replacement over the blown OEM shocks. Smooth as butter after dropping the tire pressure down from 40 PSI too lol.

And some seat covers to keep the original seats fresh for the next guy.
View attachment 192882

And the fog lights are no longer stuck on.
View attachment 192883

And another radio donated the missing knobs.
View attachment 192884

And now there's a fire extinguisher in back.
View attachment 192885

It's wife, baby, and nephew approved!
View attachment 192886
View attachment 192891

I also drained the transfer case fluid. Looked a little overdue but smelled great!
View attachment 192887

And I upgraded the laggard 4.0 to a Honda 3.0 for that special WOT VTEC sound, 100 more HP, and buttery smooth torque all the way to redline!
View attachment 192888

Okay, okay, the VTEC only has 50 more HP. And less torque.
wonder what TC fluid the OP was using?

I would say it was “done”
Okay I have a confession to make. I still need to change my TC fluid to get a baseline from PO. Hopefully it doesn't smell as good as that spinach quiche did or I'll be questioning everything I know about a good meal.

And no, sadly I still have the 4.0. I mean I'm not terribly sad... it's adequate.

Reactions: DrDmoney