You're kidding me, right? Part 2

Squatch

Master Thread Derailer
Supporting Member
I take issue with the story below for two reasons: 1) I don't believe this is the sort of thing a 911 operator should be concerning themselves with. This is not an emergency. It's a "cute" story, so it's alright. Not to me.
2) Hailed as a hero? WTF? Talk about a dilution of meaning. Kind, yes. Understanding, sure. But a hero? Sorry. Not by my definition.
Rant over.

911 dispatcher hailed as a hero for staying on the phone to help boy with his homework

Alexis Shaw,Yahoo Lifestyle Sat, Jan 26 12:34 PM PST

43c117dab39f2e9350d9c184e6716f25.jpg
911 police dispatcher Antonia Bundy is being hailed as a hero for staying on the phone to help a young boy with his homework. (Photo: Lafayette Police Department via Twitter)
A 911 dispatcher is getting praised for taking the time out of her day to assist a young caller who needed help with his homework.
Antonia Bundy, who works for the Lafayette Police Department in Indiana, stayed on the phone with a boy who dialed the emergency number to say he “had a really bad day” and had “tons” of homework.
The boy, whose identity is not known, told Bundy that he had math homework he was struggling with.
In the audio recording posted by the Lafayette Police Department on Twitter Friday, Bundy is heard calmly working with the boy as he adds his fractions. When they finish the problem, the boy lets her know that it was the only problem he was stuck on.
“I’m sorry for calling you, but I really needed help,” he said.
“When a young child calls to ask for homework help, Antonia didn’t miss a beat,” the Lafayette Police Department wrote in its Twitter post.

“We get a lot of unusual call requests, but this one kind of stood out,” said Lafayette Police Sgt. Matt Gard.
While the Lafayette Police Department doesn’t recommend dialing 911 for homework help, many people are praising Bundy on Twitter for her generosity.

According to Gard, police are trying to figure out which area school the boy attends so they can connect with him through the school’s principal.
“We want to make sure everything is good, and make sure he knows we appreciate him calling,” Gard said.

Reactions: Rich1961 and J R
I take issue with the story below for two reasons: 1) I don't believe this is the sort of thing a 911 operator should be concerning themselves with. This is not an emergency. It's a "cute" story, so it's alright. Not to me.
2) Hailed as a hero? WTF? Talk about a dilution of meaning. Kind, yes. Understanding, sure. But a hero? Sorry. Not by my definition.
Rant over.

911 dispatcher hailed as a hero for staying on the phone to help boy with his homework

Alexis Shaw,Yahoo Lifestyle Sat, Jan 26 12:34 PM PST

View attachment 74680 911 police dispatcher Antonia Bundy is being hailed as a hero for staying on the phone to help a young boy with his homework. (Photo: Lafayette Police Department via Twitter)
A 911 dispatcher is getting praised for taking the time out of her day to assist a young caller who needed help with his homework.
Antonia Bundy, who works for the Lafayette Police Department in Indiana, stayed on the phone with a boy who dialed the emergency number to say he “had a really bad day” and had “tons” of homework.
The boy, whose identity is not known, told Bundy that he had math homework he was struggling with.
In the audio recording posted by the Lafayette Police Department on Twitter Friday, Bundy is heard calmly working with the boy as he adds his fractions. When they finish the problem, the boy lets her know that it was the only problem he was stuck on.
“I’m sorry for calling you, but I really needed help,” he said.
“When a young child calls to ask for homework help, Antonia didn’t miss a beat,” the Lafayette Police Department wrote in its Twitter post.

“We get a lot of unusual call requests, but this one kind of stood out,” said Lafayette Police Sgt. Matt Gard.
While the Lafayette Police Department doesn’t recommend dialing 911 for homework help, many people are praising Bundy on Twitter for her generosity.

According to Gard, police are trying to figure out which area school the boy attends so they can connect with him through the school’s principal.
“We want to make sure everything is good, and make sure he knows we appreciate him calling,” Gard said.
:facepalm: The media nowadays is a joke.

Apparently the word "hero" is thrown around quite a bit these days. It's a shame they throw that word around like it means nothing anymore.

The media these days is like a 24/7 marathon of Jerry Springer. It's an absolute joke, and I put zero faith in it whatsoever.

This has nothing to do with Trump either. Even before Trump, I felt this way. They're pushing their own agenda (or propaganda I should say). Anyways, don't get me started down that rabbit hole.

Reactions: Squatch and mots
What if someone else died because the 911 lines were tied up?

What if she had a need to call 911 but her battery died while she dialed? I guarantee she'd have a lawyer or two suing the company that made the battery, the company that made the charger, the company that made the phone, the service provider she uses and the service provider she used before that (because they were too expensive) and half a dozen other potential piles of money.

Reactions: Squatch
I agree with the OP and the others that have commented on this.

I have to add, that most folks would be surprised what actually gets called into 911 as an emergency.
Lucky for me, our dispatchers go through a series of questions that determine what type of call it will be.
They even have the "rolodex" of medical questions and things to do if its a true medical and can give the caller instructions as resources are responding.

Unfortunately, a few non emergency type calls get through the dispatchers and we get to handle them in the field. Its rare but does happen. We are always professional, and it is noted to the caller that it wasn't a emergency that requires utilizing 911 services.

Reactions: Squatch