Yukon axle versus stock

Deloachb

I have a 1999 TJ 4.0 that I’ve owned for 4 years. I recently broke the drivers side axle. Once I removed the axle I noticed it was a Yukon. Would anyone recommend going back with a Yukon axle or stock? Currently the Jeep has 33 x 12.50 tires, no trail, mud riding just a daily driver

Let me guess, it broke at the outboard end of the splines, right where the diameter changes.
Multitude of possible reasons that one failed. 27 spline shafts, even the stronger 1541 ones are susceptible to breaking. This is always a factor on larger than stock tires with a heavy throttle foot.
You can replace it with the link below, but know it can happen again. Upgrading to a 30 spline Super35 or Dana 44 rear is the fix.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001G98I9O/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Is a Yukon front axle built up toward the ujoint to hold the slinger that covers the axle entrance to the housing? Is there a better seal available?

So if the new inner axle is not built up enough on the joint end to support the slinger just leave the slinger off?

I don't think it matters how it fits on the shaft.
It's mostly for keeping larger debris and/or splash out of the tube.
IIRC, most leave them off when upgrading axle shafts because it's too small.

I don't think it matters how it fits on the shaft.
It's mostly for keeping larger debris and/or splash out of the tube.
IIRC, most leave them off when upgrading axle shafts because it's too small.
Has anyone tried adapting the slinger to the reduced diameter axle? The slinger will snap snuggly on the threads of a gallon water jug. I am going to cut one off to try the inside diameter on the axle.

Has anyone tried adapting the slinger to the reduced diameter axle? The slinger will snap snuggly on the threads of a gallon water jug. I am going to cut one off to try the inside diameter on the axle.

What do you mean by 'reduced diameter' and 'inside diameter on the axle'?
The plastic 'shield' goes on the shaft near the axle tube opening.
15460383577958704145534541537433.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jerry Bransford