ZJ coils

Blank

TJ Enthusiast
hello folks i was looking for something else on the ol google machine when i came across something that seems fairly easy and cheap to level my pig out. putting zj coils in the front of my TJ how easy and is this a direct swap? thanks in advance.

You're probably better off just getting TJ spring spacers. I don't remember if it's the ZJ springs in the front, or some Ford police car springs in the back, but I do remember that the results were variable. Some worked out fine, some didn't. One of those spring swaps involved a torch, BFH, vise, and a large pipe to open up the top of the coil to fit the TJ. Take all that with a grain of salt. If you have a set of free ZJ springs and a spare weekend, let us know how it turns out.

Reactions: Blank
no i dont have the springs laying around and i would just do a small ome lift before i do that. i was just curious if any one has done this
It's kinda redneck engineering... I have read about people who have messed about with different junkyard springs to achieve various lifts. Some worked, some didn't. The thing I did notice is that they all seem to go to an actual aftermarket lift after awhile. The springs are just one small part of the suspension, and not all that costly in the grand scheme of TJ mods.

I'm a junkyard lift guy. I have V8 ZJ springs in the front of mine (gained an inch), and also 2" spacers. I have rear Crown Vic springs in the back of mine, with the coil isolators that came from the front. I'm sitting at a 3" of lift, and it works very well, and rides very well. For shocks, I'm using stock JK shocks.

For spring fitment, the ZJ coils are a perfect fit, but the Crown Vic springs need a tiny bit of the coil cut to slide over the bottom (I think...) perch. For the shocks, I made my own bar pin eliminators for the front, and the rear are just about a bolt in. The lower part of the shock is a tad wider than where it goes into on the Jeep, so it needs a touch ground off.

I'm extremely happy with how it works, and since I have no plans of going higher, I can't see myself removing it to replace it with a "proper" setup. I've been in three other TJ's, stock, 4" Skyjacker and 3" RC, and mine rides WAY better than both lifted ones, and equal or better than the stock one.

I'm a junkyard lift guy. I have V8 ZJ springs in the front of mine (gained an inch), and also 2" spacers. I have rear Crown Vic springs in the back of mine, with the coil isolators that came from the front. I'm sitting at a 3" of lift, and it works very well, and rides very well. For shocks, I'm using stock JK shocks.

For spring fitment, the ZJ coils are a perfect fit, but the Crown Vic springs need a tiny bit of the coil cut to slide over the bottom (I think...) perch. For the shocks, I made my own bar pin eliminators for the front, and the rear are just about a bolt in. The lower part of the shock is a tad wider than where it goes into on the Jeep, so it needs a touch ground off.

I'm extremely happy with how it works, and since I have no plans of going higher, I can't see myself removing it to replace it with a "proper" setup. I've been in three other TJ's, stock, 4" Skyjacker and 3" RC, and mine rides WAY better than both lifted ones, and equal or better than the stock one.

I absolutely LOVE home-made/Fabrication stories!!

Reactions: derekmac