02' TJ - Capable daily driver

Half-Door Restoration Part 6: The final

After reassembly of both doors, i mounted and adjusted the hinges and went for a drive!

37D948B0-5430-4153-9021-AAA4F4EAF66A.jpeg

They are not perfect, but i’m happy with the results considering their condition at the beginning
A5F29D6D-527F-4A73-8F5B-BDC2531B30BB.jpeg

The interiors cleaned up especially well
9204D86D-2445-46B7-9304-5EA600D423D3.jpeg

D00E7B33-9745-4630-92DD-77BE3479CCD8.jpeg

1A41FD5A-1841-44F3-9600-8EF2B2A91F0A.jpeg

Nice work

Thank you
Nice work, Kiwi. How did you handle the door hinges?

So i saw that lots of people just painted with their door hinges still attached, but i thought if i was doing all the work to strip the doors down i should do it properly. Most of the torx screws stripped, so i drilled them out and replaced them with new hardware. And then just prepped the door hinges the same way as the door, taped off the hinge post so it would still fit in the jeep hinge side, and then painted them.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and Apparition

Believe it or not that was the best method to paint them lol
I tried first by hooking them by the hinge post, but they are not evenly weighted and fell off the hook multiple times during the primer. I also considered poking them in a cardboard box by the hinge post, but then was worried i would miss the underside of the hinge. Some duct tape on the post kept them sturdy and allowed me to get all edges!

Believe it or not that was the best method to paint them lol
I tried first by hooking them by the hinge post, but they are not evenly weighted and fell off the hook multiple times during the primer. I also considered poking them in a cardboard box by the hinge post, but then was worried i would miss the underside of the hinge. Some duct tape on the post kept them sturdy and allowed me to get all edges!

I’ve got a couple sets of doors that need work I’ll probably steal your technique.

Reactions: RINC and kiwi
Thank you

So i saw that lots of people just painted with their door hinges still attached, but i thought if i was doing all the work to strip the doors down i should do it properly. Most of the torx screws stripped, so i drilled them out and replaced them with new hardware. And then just prepped the door hinges the same way as the door, taped off the hinge post so it would still fit in the jeep hinge side, and then painted them.

My jeep is a muddy mess right now otherwise i’d take a pic of the hinges, but in this photo you can see the new stainless hardware.
27889E9E-F8C3-4674-B8B3-648BC6FB04B5.jpeg

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum, and new to jeeps, and wanted to document my build for anyone interested

After a long search for my perfect TJ, i finally found one. Jan 13, 2021, drove 4 hours round trip and picked up a 2002, one owner, 96k miles, manual, 4.0, and it was mostly stock too. This will be my daily driver, as it's my first vehicle ever. Over the past couple months I've given it a huge clean, replace a dented body panel, replaced the front u-joints, and cleaned up the frame. All while saving up for a lift and some new wheels and tires.

Here it is the day i got it (Came with a hardtop and soft top)

View attachment 242328

Time for a clean...

View attachment 242329

Picked up new fenders on marketplace to fix the dent

before:
View attachment 242330

after:
View attachment 242331

And cleaned up the frame!

View attachment 242334

Lots more to come!

Gorgeous Jeep!

Reactions: kiwi
Really nice work here man. Love all the things you've done to it. Look forward to get out wheelin' with ya ;)

Expensive week
Picked up some barely used currectlync, rubber boots are even still in good condition
730AF120-F3C7-4B55-9F6A-34C31AD9B4B0.jpeg

02F45626-EC05-4FB3-A66B-D93AEB4428C7.jpeg

Then decided to finally pull the trigger on a york OBA kit. Just need to get the compressor itself
D3F77609-0892-491F-BB11-151F250FA9F1.jpeg

And finally ordered a Savvy CA set. Want to try and get a TT done, and wanted to get these in case savvy stops production on them
6E006752-489C-4D13-ABDF-AA9C05F6A2B3.jpeg

69CC18ED-B26C-4451-90FC-2D482770DDE8.jpeg

I am however having issues with the axle bracket. It does not want to thread in fully. Looking in, it seems like the threads just stop before the bracket is fully threaded in. Has anyone had this issue before?
image.jpg

4D6F0553-935A-420F-8C81-D7C1B96546BB.jpeg

• USA Proud
Reactions: PNW_LJ and RINC
I've got a used York compressor if you want to meet up some place on the 15th. I've got a VA appointment @ 10:15 and should be done NLT noon.
The one I have has V-belt pulley so you'd still need to get a serpentine pulley. I bought it 15 years ago at the swap meet & don't need it anymore.
It would need the modifications to limit the oil usage.

IMG_1956.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

Last edited:
  • USA Proud
Reactions: RINC and kiwi
I've got a used York compressor if you want to meet up some place on the 15th. I've got a VA appointment @ 10:15 and should be done NLT noon.
The one I have has V-belt pulley so you'd still need to get a serpentine pulley. I bought it 15 years ago at the swap meet & don't need it anymore.
It would need the modifications to limit the oil usage.

View attachment 399043

View attachment 399044

Thanks for the offer. Unless i'm looking the wrong thing up, i'm only finding the pulley for 80$+

I might have to check out a junkyard this weekend and see if i can find one with a serpentine pulley for cheaper. If i don't find one i'll shoot you a message

Reactions: RINC and Wildman
Thanks for the offer. Unless i'm looking the wrong thing up, i'm only finding the pulley for 80$+

I might have to check out a junkyard this weekend and see if i can find one with a serpentine pulley for cheaper. If i don't find one i'll shoot you a message

Yes the pulley is not cheap. You'll have a hard time finding a York with a serpentine pulley on it unless you find one off a semi. To the best of my knowledge there wasn't any Yorks offered in a car that had one only the V-belt pulley. But they continued to use the YORK on semi's as a air pump.

CU Off-Road wants $160 for them.

https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/onboardair-com-components/

Edit: And I was incorrect. Looks like a good place to look is 80's Fords. They used a York and had a serpentine pulley on them.

Last edited:
Reactions: RINC
Finally went and picked up the York compressor from @Wildman
Cleaned it up a bit and gave it some paint
tempImagePtaUnj.jpg

tempImagelRO4v6.jpg

I also didn't want to spend 100$ on some York fitting's, so i drilled/tapped the inside of the head with a 3/8th NPT tap to accept 3/8th elbow's
tempImagepkSoC1.jpg

Got it mounted with the ORO bracket kit, which went in trouble free except the belt was slightly too short so i replaced the idler pulley with a slightly smaller one and it works fine
tempImageEaVRCT.jpg

For the intake I drilled into my airbox assembly and added a 3/8th barb
tempImagel3aLxP.jpg

tempImage3hccLz.jpg

tempImageppYJCt.jpg

For the Manifold and the rest of the routing, i initially planned on doing something like @DylanM345, with everything mounted beside the York with an in-line cooler, but after mocking up a few brackets it was clear that it wouldn't fit with the stock air box, so i eventually decided to mount it across the engine bay
tempImageUxgtB7.jpg

tempImagesLGlyw.jpg

I ran a braided hose from the York so that it was temperature safe
tempImageyg31zS.jpg

And for the quick connect i routed it to the front bumper
tempImagegpAUgh.jpg

I might eventually have one going to the rear bumper as well, but for now i have a long enough air hose to reach all four tires

Then for the switch i wanted an In-cab factory looking switch
3AEE96B5-7BA2-4E5D-9ACE-AA233562BDD3.JPG

Heres the final product:
tempImageafmXDB.jpg

tempImagef4uUbV.jpg

Everything works great and fills from 12 - 26 psi in about 30 seconds. Thanks again @Wildman and @DylanM345 for answering my many questions

For the Manifold and the rest of the routing, i initially planned on doing something like @DylanM345, with everything mounted beside the York with an in-line cooler, but after mocking up a few brackets it was clear that it wouldn't fit with the stock air box, so i eventually decided to mount it across the engine bay
View attachment 423081

View attachment 423082

View attachment 423083

View attachment 423084
I might eventually have one going to the rear bumper as well, but for now i have a long enough air hose to reach all four tires

View attachment 423085

Heres the final product:
View attachment 423086

View attachment 423087

Everything works great and fills from 12 - 26 psi in about 30 seconds. Thanks again @Wildman and @DylanM345 for answering my many questions

Looks awesome. Happy to help. I may be copying yours now since I put my stock intake back in and cant fit the old bracket. I think I'm gonna use my front bumper as a mini air tank(y)

View attachment 423081

View attachment 423082

View attachment 423083

View attachment 423084

View attachment 423085

Heres the final product:
View attachment 423086

View attachment 423087

Looks like your quick disconnect needs a pacifier.

https://absolute-wits-end.com/engine/on-board-air-oba/