02' TJ - Capable daily driver

Haven't updated this thread in a while... Not much work done on my jeep but somehow we now have 3 more!

1st addition was a 1973 CJ5, with a 304.
View attachment 365637 Needed a standard tuneup and some new brakes (Drove it 15min on country roads home without brakes). Was supposed to be a quick project and then proceeded to blow of chunk of the bell housing as the clutch linkage ripped off. Had to tow it out of the paddock and into the shop
View attachment 365638
The PO put in a random ford top loader and i wanted it back to the original 3 speed, so i picked up a T15 with transfer case. Still need to finish that swap but i've got the old one out
View attachment 365639

2nd addition was a cheap TJ that i convinced my dad into getting..
View attachment 365643

Ran great, shifts no problems, but had a big ol' crack in the transfer
View attachment 365640
Swapped in one that we got off FB and now 4wd works!

Then decided to put it on the same lift i've got (2.5" with ranchos)
View attachment 365641
Still finishing that up too, ran into some issues with the front axle so picked up one from FB and the guy said to take his steering for free!
View attachment 365642
Not sure what brand but its beefy.. I'm thinking maybe 1 ton steering? Any ideas? I was planning on doing currectlync on my TJ but would this be better?

And lastly my mom picked up a 2022 2 door willy's edition, to tow behind their motorhome
View attachment 365644

Exactly 20 years of jeeps right here! Luckily this one hasn't got issues
View attachment 365645

Nice ‘73 CJ5. That thing has a crazy long wheelbase !!!

(Well, compared to my ‘71 anyway….)

Nice fleet you have going there. You need a pic with the ‘73 and you will have 5 decades of Jeeps. Very cool.

Reactions: JMT
Nice ‘73 CJ5. That thing has a crazy long wheelbase !!!

(Well, compared to my ‘71 anyway….)

Nice fleet you have going there. You need a pic with the ‘73 and you will have 5 decades of Jeeps. Very cool.

Thanks man, a cj5 has been my dream for a while, just hoping i can get it going before seattle rain season.

Got any pics of your 71’?

Thanks man, a cj5 has been my dream for a while, just hoping i can get it going before seattle rain season.

Got any pics of your 71’?

From 1980 or so...

Jeep CJ5 1971 copy.jpg

Brown Jeep Engine 1.jpg

My ex had a 1980 CJ5 but it only had the 258 6 cyl in it. But her dad had owned it for 20+ years before he gave it to her for Xmas one year. She had driven it to high school. Had a Dana 30 front and Model 20 rear axle & a T176 4speed. ARB's & 4.56 gears but IMO it needed lower gears.

IMG_8855.JPG

IMG_8859.JPG

IMG_8908.JPG

I did a hyd clutch swap on it after the linkage for the clutch went out on this trail. Was NOT fun trying to drive this thing back to camp without a clutch.

That's cross over steering and there is a reason the guy gave it to you. Throw it in the garbage right where it belongs. It doesn't work well on TJ's, gives a pretty big dead spot in the center from tie rod roll.

So i’m currently trying to finish up the axle swap and lift on my dads TJ. I guess i should’ve figured this out sooner but it looks like the PO drilled out the steering mounts on the axle to fit that steering that he gave me for free. Meaning the stock steering won’t fit back on it tightly. I was hoping to get this thing up and running today so would it be OK to put that cross over steering on it? This is just a farm truck, not gonna go rock crawling anytime soon.

Or is there any way to temp fix the stock steering on it?
View attachment 369232
The castle nut just kept tightening it on, never got close to the torque spec

So i’m currently trying to finish up the axle swap and lift on my dads TJ. I guess i should’ve figured this out sooner but it looks like the PO drilled out the steering mounts on the axle to fit that steering that he gave me for free. Meaning the stock steering won’t fit back on it tightly. I was hoping to get this thing up and running today so would it be OK to put that cross over steering on it? This is just a farm truck, not gonna go rock crawling anytime soon.

View attachment 369232
Disregard. The crossover steering doesn’t have all the components necessary. Plus some more research shows how terrible it is haha

View attachment 369232

You may need to buy a new tire rod end. Are you sure it was drilled? Sometimes they can be a bugger. If you think there is still a taper, try holding pressure on the TRE, pushing it into the knuckle

You may need to buy a new tire rod end. Are you sure it was drilled? Sometimes they can be a bugger. If you think there is still a taper, try holding pressure on the TRE, pushing it into the knuckle

It was definitely drilled. I was talking with my dad about what we could do and mentioned that we could always just go to a junkyard and pull a knuckle. Then he reminded me that we have a spare dana 30 sitting 10 feet away from where i was working on the jeep.. Duh!

Pulled and swapped the knuckles
tempImageEjkHI6.jpg

Stock on left, drilled on right
tempImageAmFiHC.jpg

And with that the jeep was off jack stands! Still got some work on it but all pretty minor
tempImageRa1bKn.jpg

Hoping to also find some stock flares for it

The new TJ also came with some pretty new 31" MTR's, which i swapped onto my jeep for my 10 year old BFG's. The BFG's are a bit bigger as you can tell in the photo, and the MTR's are quite a bit louder, but i feel a bit safer on the newer tires. Also MPG went up to about 16 on the highway and 13 in town, and it was pretty consistently 12 on the BFG's

His TJ is a 1997, so the 4.0 is slightly different than my 02', and i noticed this bracket on top of the alternator. The only use for brackets that intercept the alternator that i've heard of is for mounting a York compressor, but this doesn't seem to have a spot to mount a pulley. Anybody know what this could be for?
tempImageNLnhjx.jpg

His TJ is a 1997, so the 4.0 is slightly different than my 02', and i noticed this bracket on top of the alternator. The only use for brackets that intercept the alternator that i've heard of is for mounting a York compressor, but this doesn't seem to have a spot to mount a pulley. Anybody know what this could be for?
View attachment 374422

That is where the A/C compressor would reside, if the Jeep has A/C

It's officially cold here, so i finally did something i've been wanting for a while
tempImageIxQNbc.jpg

Measure twice, cut once
tempImagejRbWKX.jpg

tempImagewX3Nnh.jpg

tempImagegpCoDM.jpg

Install was pretty simple. Tapped into some ignition on fuses. And just put the pads under my bartacts
The highest level gets HOT! Probably would be better under the stock covers and the bartacts, but works for me
One of my favorite comfort mods so far

View attachment 374422

It would be pretty easy to make a bracket for a York and then add the pully to your alternator to run a V-belt off it. If you're wanting to do this I've got a York sitting here I'd bought years ago that I'm not using.

1668314644348.png

https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/onboardair-com-components/
CU Off-Road does make a bracket kit if you want but it isn't cheap. And adding onboard air isn't cheap either if you do it correctly.

It would look something like mine where the York is driven off the alternator pulley. Would just have to make a tensioner.

20210204_171421.jpg

It's officially cold here, so i finally did something i've been wanting for a while
View attachment 376444

Measure twice, cut once
View attachment 376451

View attachment 376455

View attachment 376458

Install was pretty simple. Tapped into some ignition on fuses. And just put the pads under my bartacts
The highest level gets HOT! Probably would be better under the stock covers and the bartacts, but works for me
One of my favorite comfort mods so far

That is on my list of things I want to do also. Be nice to have heated seats.

Reactions: kiwi
It would be pretty easy to make a bracket for a York and then add the pully to your alternator to run a V-belt off it. If you're wanting to do this I've got a York sitting here I'd bought years ago that I'm not using.

View attachment 376459

https://www.cuoffroad.com/product-lines/onboardair-com-components/
CU Off-Road does make a bracket kit if you want but it isn't cheap. And adding onboard air isn't cheap either if you do it correctly.

It would look something like mine where the York is driven off the alternator pulley. Would just have to make a tensioner.

View attachment 376460

That is on my list of things I want to do also. Be nice to have heated seats.

So build a bracket onto that AC compressor bracket?
Would that interfere with the stock intake?

I've been wanting a York OBA for a while but haven't coughed up the price for the bracket yet. ORO was the one i was looking at, but CU off-road is cheaper

Reactions: Wildman
So build a bracket onto that AC compressor bracket?
Would that interfere with the stock intake?

I've been wanting a York OBA for a while but haven't coughed up the price for the bracket yet. ORO was the one i was looking at, but CU off-road is cheaper

Yes, a L shaped bracket drilled for the 4 holes on the A/C bracket and then drill 4 holes on the vertical side to match the York and bolt it down. Then just have to figure out a tensioner bracket for a pulley to keep the belt tight.
I built a hinged one on my old CJ where the York itself moved to get the tension. I don't have any pictures of it unfortunately. Then the alternator pulley is all you have to buy. Well and then all the parts for the air system.

Reactions: kiwi