03 TJ questions

I haven't tried negotiating yet. I asked a few questions and that is all. I'm in the looking phase, but have been for a while. It is a do not need, but a high want....most of my driving is 5 min here and 5 min there. I'm tired of lugging my yukon xl denali out of the garage for those trips. I'd likely leave it clean and only use when the family needed it. Added bonus, I want something small to teach my 15y/o daughter to drive with. Added added, is if she'd take a liking, but I may not want to turn loose.

Does she need the Rubicon, nope, do I....not really, but there is some trails 30min from me, that I have taken daughters sport to and I wouldn't mind maybe going to play on occasion. They are on a River, so yes the Rubicon would come in handy there. I might let her have this one, might find her a different....who knows. I like cars, so....

The 190k bothers me, only in paying that much for that many miles. I also, may end up getting a loan....so also not sure what bank would say. Debating that one as well. Don't need the loan, but doesn't bother me having it if I can get a decent rate.

I'm leaning on a pass as well, but might still go look and talk.

Reactions: SouthernTJ2000
I haven't tried negotiating yet. I asked a few questions and that is all. I'm in the looking phase, but have been for a while. It is a do not need, but a high want....most of my driving is 5 min here and 5 min there. I'm tired of lugging my yukon xl denali out of the garage for those trips. I'd likely leave it clean and only use when the family needed it. Added bonus, I want something small to teach my 15y/o daughter to drive with. Added added, is if she'd take a liking, but I may not want to turn loose.

Does she need the Rubicon, nope, do I....not really, but there is some trails 30min from me, that I have taken daughters sport to and I wouldn't mind maybe going to play on occasion. They are on a River, so yes the Rubicon would come in handy there. I might let her have this one, might find her a different....who knows. I like cars, so....

The 190k bothers me, only in paying that much for that many miles. I also, may end up getting a loan....so also not sure what bank would say. Debating that one as well. Don't need the loan, but doesn't bother me having it if I can get a decent rate.

Banks hate high mileage. I understand from an "investment" standpoint, why they wouldn't. But from someone who works on cars, I'm not scared of highish mileage. Obviously buying a Chrysler product at 200k is gonna have some contingency on prior usage and who owned it, but if it drives good, runs good, and shifts smooth I would not be afraid of the mileage. If this were a JK or a JL/JT I'd feel different. I'd be ready to do some work on it though.

There are many people on the forum rolling around on 250k-300k miles TJ's with the original motor and maybe a transmission. Clutches too of course, but some people manage to hit 250k on the factory clutch (somehow).

I would definitely check the oil pressure with a test gauge before seriously considering buying it.

Having been 15 yo once, I would have done some questionable things with a Rubicon. I went mud-bogging with a 1980 Rabbit convertible.
I would get a mechanic that's willing to do a thorough look, including maybe a compression check, on a ~200k vehicle.
As Cooper Smith said, A/C systems are a sealed system - so the only way for the system to need a charge is if there is leak. That's why you hold a vacuum when testing - if it doesn't hold a vacuum, it's leaking and won't hold a charge. You didn't specify why it's not working, so if it's an electrical issue, it may be an easy(ier) repair. If an A/C sits for a while, and the seals are not being lubed by running it, it will leak. I'd ask how long it hasn't worked.

but might still go look and talk.

Do it. If you're really into this one, show up with about $9.5-10K cash. Offer/show him $8.5K and see what happens. Cold hard cash has a great effect on some folks. If he doesn't bite at $8.5K, say..."ohhh look, I've got another $500 in my sock." If he doesn't move on that, and you're good at $9.5K, pull out that last $500 and see what happens.

Obviously adjust that cash amount to what you're comfortable with. You'd be surprised how much less than their asking price people will take when cash is in front of them. I have a tendency to turn cars over every 12-24 months and have found that their is always someone out there willing to negotiate. You just have to wait it out sometimes. Good luck on whatever you decide.

Reactions: BC Moto
Having been 15 yo once, I would have done some questionable things with a Rubicon. I went mud-bogging with a 1980 Rabbit convertible.
I would get a mechanic that's willing to do a thorough look, including maybe a compression check, on a ~200k vehicle.
As Cooper Smith said, A/C systems are a sealed system - so the only way for the system to need a charge is if there is leak. That's why you hold a vacuum when testing - if it doesn't hold a vacuum, it's leaking and won't hold a charge. You didn't specify why it's not working, so if it's an electrical issue, it may be an easy(ier) repair. If an A/C sits for a while, and the seals are not being lubed by running it, it will leak. I'd ask how long it hasn't worked.

About how long would you say an AC can sit without running and still be ok?

About how long would you say an AC can sit without running and still be ok?

It's hard to say how long they can sit, but think how tiny the rubber is on a Schrader valve. I use my A/C on hot sometimes during the winter so it doesn't go more than a few months without running the compressor. If it's been a year, it may be ok, but if they say "it worked fine 2 years+ ago...", I'd bet that at least the seals are shot. Anything can be fixed, it's just a matter of being methodical, sourcing the part, and being willing to put up with the PIA of doing the labor or paying for it.

It's hard to say how long they can sit, but think how tiny the rubber is on a Schrader valve. I use my A/C on hot sometimes during the winter so it doesn't go more than a few months without running the compressor. If it's been a year, it may be ok, but if they say "it worked fine 2 years+ ago...", I'd bet that at least the seals are shot. Anything can be fixed, it's just a matter of being methodical, sourcing the part, and being willing to put up with the PIA of doing the labor or paying for it.

Thanks. My compressor was replaced five years ago and the system still had a leak. I just replaced the evaporator and put in four new seals there, but I wondered about the rest of the system that has just been sitting there this whole time. I have a seal set. I may look at what I have to do to replace them all. I have some refrigerant and the tools to remove the lines.

Thanks. My compressor was replaced five years ago and the system still had a leak. I just replaced the evaporator and put in four new seals there, but I wondered about the rest of the system that has just been sitting there this whole time. I have a seal set. I may look at what I have to do to replace them all. I have some refrigerant and the tools to remove the lines.

You can bring it in for a charge, let the mechanic know the story and ask for a leak test (dye they add to the system). They'll check for dye leaks and put it on a vacuum to see if it holds. Most of the time they leak at the Schrader valves on the high/low access points. These are really easy to replace. If your compressor comes on and cycles every few seconds, there is definitely a leak somewhere. If it doesn't come on, its either completely empty of refrigerant, there is an electrical issue or the compressor is bad.

You can do it yourself of course, but if you have any refrigerant left in the system, I'd have a shop recover it. Also, you can't really test the system without an HVAC vacuum. You can buy one, but I think they run at least $200 and up.

You can do it yourself of course, but if you have any refrigerant left in the system, I'd have a shop recover it. Also, you can't really test the system without an HVAC vacuum. You can buy one, but I think they run at least $200 and up.

Thanks. I had the system evacuated by a shop before I removed and replaced the AC evaporator. I mentioned to them I'd be back after I replaced it. There was about 10% of the refrigerant left, so almost nothing after five years. I'd rather just have them test the system. Should I just replace the Schrader valves on the high and low points before I take it back? That would be easy for me to do. My son works at a bike shop! Not like we couldn't figure it out. I'll go take a look.

What that rig costs you is going to be a lot different than what you pay.

She doesn’t need modified Rubicon- She needs a safe dependable sport or X.

And if she has a boyfriend he needs a good smack before he looks at the keys even once.

Right now I am not 100% buying for her. I'd be buying for me with option to maybe turn over to her. I know, splitting hairs a bit.

I've wanted another CJ since I sold mine, 15yrs ago. After buying my oldest daughter her TJ, I decided that's the way forward. I don't know if I'll still want/ justify in year or two, that's the option. I have too many cars now.

What that rig costs you is going to be a lot different than what you pay.

True of every car!

I can't believe what these things are listing for. Honestly, the more i look the better the price on that. There's another one or two I like as well. If it was 150k, I'd likely jump.

Way more than a kid needs, and I know what I'd have done, but....

Reactions: AndyG
Right now I am not 100% buying for her. I'd be buying for me with option to maybe turn over to her. I know, splitting hairs a bit.

I've wanted another CJ since I sold mine, 15yrs ago. After buying my oldest daughter her TJ, I decided that's the way forward. I don't know if I'll still want/ justify in year or two, that's the option. I have too many cars now.

I sensed that.

Like that year I got my mom a catchers mitt for Mother’s Day.

It went great with the chest protector I got her the year before.

I sensed that.

Like that year I got my mom a catchers mitt for Mother’s Day.

It went great with the chest protector I got her the year before.

Well, I'm not forcing it on her. My oldest hated jeeps until she sat in one, then when we found the one she got she loved it. Hasn't looked back.

My youngest wants the C3 vette sitting on the lift in my garage. That isn't happening.... at least until she's much older, nor is an 80s firebird. A 6000lb yukon isn't the easiest to learn to drive with either. So, I'm trying to fill a want I have, a need she has to get her driving, then we'll figure out what she'll end up with. As a dad, I like the jeep path.... they're modular to fix, easy to work on and they look cool.

AC systems don't use refrigerant. If it's out, it evacuated through a leak and the leak needs fixed. I really hope there aren't shops just shooting in Freon without fixing the leak. At least I wouldn't.

No one would shoot in freon if there was a leak. That's why it's crucial to check for a possible leak before recharging. I thought it was obvious, and no need to mention that.

Well, I'm not forcing it on her. My oldest hated jeeps until she sat in one, then when we found the one she got she loved it. Hasn't looked back.

My youngest wants the C3 vette sitting on the lift in my garage. That isn't happening.... at least until she's much older, nor is an 80s firebird. A 6000lb yukon isn't the easiest to learn to drive with either. So, I'm trying to fill a want I have, a need she has to get her driving, then we'll figure out what she'll end up with. As a dad, I like the jeep path.... they're modular to fix, easy to work on and they look cool.

....Jeeps are Legos for adults. I walk past my C6 vette to get to my Jeeps all the time. It is just a fast parts chaser.

Reactions: Danarch
....Jeeps are Legos for adults. I walk past my C6 vette to get to my Jeeps all the time. It is just a fast parts chaser.

I have been walking past my C3 for over 20 years.
SANY0059.JPG