04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

What a great build J, your boys growing up fast. Miss y’all. Heading out to HF for a shake down on my new front elocker and swayloc.
Miss y’all too! It would be great to run the HF trails with y’all now! I bet you’re going to love the ELocker and SwayLoc!

Reactions: Bob in Texas
Miss y’all too! It would be great to run the HF trails with y’all now! I bet you’re going to love the ELocker and SwayLoc!
Yepper I like where I’m at on the mods right now. I think the front locker will be nice and I really like the on road manners of the swayloc.

Reactions: Apparition
Virgin run. Trying things out. They were amazed at what they could do. I may be in trouble. This might not have been a good idea after all!
Yup - the wheelin’ bug is crazy contagious - and chronic! Great to see you enjoying this with your boys, JMT.

Reactions: Tob and JMT
Talked to the boys after yesterday's short run and they want to add the 1.25" Savvy BL and remove 1" of bump. I think it's a good choice. I also think it will look better, but I am used to a lot of space between the tire and the fender.

Talked to the boys after yesterday's short run and they want to add the 1.25" Savvy BL and remove 1" of bump. I think it's a good choice. I also think it will look better, but I am used to a lot of space between the tire and the fender.
Agreed, it will prob look better than this 😏🤞

20210716_165021.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: JMT
You better watch out, of they're going to have 35s before your do!

They were already talking about 33’s tonight! They were asking, ”Can we do the MML and BL and adjustable rear trackbar? Do we need a bigger spacer to get where we can run 33’s?” I said, “No, no, if you add the BL, you can run 33’s and your bumpstop will be the same because you’re adding 1.25” of clearance for the tires and 1” of tire. “But what if we want to add a spacer?“ “Then you’ll be into SYE and CA Land.” “Oh, okay, let’s just do the MML and BL and adjustable rear trackbar for now. Then can we do a real trail like Denver Creek? Except I don’t think we can do the Waterfall yet.” “Me: “Yeah, we’ll go. You can try the Waterfall.”

They were already talking about 33’s tonight! They were asking, ”Can we do the MML and BL and adjustable rear trackbar? Do we need a bigger spacer to get where we can run 33’s?” I said, “No, no, if you add the BL, you can run 33’s and your bumpstop will be the same because you’re adding 1.25” of clearance for the tires and 1” of tire. “But what if we want to add a spacer?“ “Then you’ll be into SYE and CA Land.” “Oh, okay, let’s just do the MML and BL and adjustable rear trackbar for now. Then can we do a real trail like Denver Creek? Except I don’t think we can do the Waterfall yet.” “Me: “Yeah, we’ll go. You can try the Waterfall.”
Wait till they start chanting “Tons and fodees, tons and fodees….”

Skipping leg day!
Leg day for Jeep’s is always a good day, and it doesn’t happen often. One of the twins also mentioned, ”Well, our tire have a lot of life left in them, but we could sell them and get 33’s!” That’s my boy! Taught him to think Jeep.

Wait till they start chanting “Tons and fodees, tons and fodees….”
A few years ago on my birthday one of the twins made me a card. On the cover he drew something that resembled a Jeep with way out of proportion giant tires. Underneath the Jeep it said in big letter’s 29’ers! As I read the card to the family, I said, “29’ers? Why would I want 29’ers?” ”Because you want BIG tires Dad!” The other twin caught it and was laughing uncontrollably and saying, “29’ers? 29’ers?” It finally clicked with the other twin and he smiled and said, “I meant 39’ers!” So far he has never lived it down. We always joke with him, ”Oh yeah, so you’re going to 29’ers someday!?”

After the first outing to wheel this rig we got home and they couldn't start the rig. The battery had only 9.5 volts at the terminals, so I went to Costco and got a Group 34 Interstate 800CC Amp Battery. They were also having some strange transmission feedback when starting since the day we dropped the pan and added 4 quarts of ATF+4. So we warmed the engine up and checked the levels. It was low, so I added a half a quart and we will see if things are better. Topped off the radiator with some coolant after the thermostat and water pump debacle. That's in order now. We're just working out kinks.

Afterward we went out for our second wheeling trip. I'm not sure there are many places I can go that they can't go. That thing is amazing on 32's open! Very instructive after 4 years of fiddling with mine.

After the first outing to wheel this rig we got home and they couldn't start the rig. The battery had only 9.5 volts at the terminals, so I went to Costco and got a Group 34 Interstate 800CC Amp Battery. They were also having some strange transmission feedback when starting since the day we dropped the pan and added 4 quarts of ATF+4. So we warmed the engine up and checked the levels. It was low, so I added a half a quart and we will see if things are better. Topped off the radiator with some coolant after the thermostat and water pump debacle. That's in order now. We're just working out kinks.

Afterward we went out for our second wheeling trip. I'm not sure there are many places I can go that they can't go. That thing is amazing on 32's open! Very instructive after 4 years of fiddling with mine.
So many people underestimate what stock-like Jeeps can do. I've wheeled them with 30" and 31" tires in some very difficult terrain and, as you said, there are very few places they can't go that a rig on 33" tires can. Teaching your kids about maintaining a vehicle, coupled with off-road driving techniques are valuable lessons they'll never forget.

I'd argue that driving a Jeep on smaller tires is more fun than driving one on larger tires. You need to listen to others, concentrate, and learn the consequences of not picking the correct lines. You sir are a fortunate man to be blessed with two Sons that share a passion with their Father. You would think this is common, but it's not as common today as it should be! 🇺🇸

So many people underestimate what stock-like Jeeps can do. I've wheeled them with 30" and 31" tires in some very difficult terrain and, as you said, there are very few places they can't go that a rig on 33" tires can. Teaching your kids about maintaining a vehicle, coupled with off-road driving techniques are valuable lessons they'll never forget.

I'd argue that driving a Jeep on smaller tires is more fun than driving one on larger tires. You need to listen to others, concentrate, and learn the consequences of not picking the correct lines. You sir are a fortunate man to be blessed with two Sons that share a passion with their Father. You would think this is common, but it's not as common today as it should be! 🇺🇸
Before I sold the stock Rubi on 31’s I took it out to wheel and it was simply amazing. Crawled up everything, lots of control, lifted a few tires because stock sway bar and end links, but kept moving.

Right now they share the passion for building and wheeling. I want to see how long it lasts. I hope a long time. They are still talking about the body lift and motor mount lift, so a few things coming soon.