04’ JMT’s Twin Teenagers Build

How a kid can go from a stock TJ to 33’s in 180 days:

1) have a crazy dad who lives on a crazy forum
2) the dad must have crazy friends who live on a crazy forum who have lots of jeep parts laying around
3) those crazy friends must graciously donate Jeep parts to the kids
4) the dad must have another jeep that he can also donate parts from
5) the dad must have the tools and the know how to do the many modifications coming
6) the kid must be willing to do the work him/her self

In the end, it ain’t finished, but it’s something you and your kid did that you can both be proud of!

A74E7F19-4571-438B-B55C-1D79362A3471.jpeg

How a kid can go from a stock TJ to 33’s in 180 days:

1) have a crazy dad who lives on a crazy forum
2) the dad must have crazy friends who live on a crazy forum who have lots of jeep parts laying around
3) those crazy friends must graciously donate Jeep parts to the kids
4) the dad must have another jeep that he can also donate parts from
5) the dad must have the tools and the know how to do the many modifications coming
6) the kid must be willing to do the work him/her self

In the end, it ain’t finished, but it’s something you and your kid did that you can both be proud of!

View attachment 276118
Red wins

Bigger is better. One of the Twins told me today that of all the Jeep’s he’s seen, he still likes mine the best. He said, “and it has gone everywhere you asked it to, though it may be the driver.” I said, “It’s time for you to really learn to drive.” I think it’s good to be smaller to do that. You’re forced to find better lines, less room for error. Very important.

Bigger is better. One of the Twins told me today that of all the Jeep’s he’s seen, he still likes mine the best. He said, “and it has gone everywhere you asked it to, though it may be the driver.” I said, “It’s time for you to really learn to drive.” I think it’s good to be smaller to do that. You’re forced to find better lines, less room for error. Very important.
Helps I specifically wanted red for the new build. Your Jeep really does look great.

That must be an aftermarket hard top on the boy's Jeep? Kind of a bubble top, fastback look.
Yes, its built by Smitybuilt. It’s had a few bad seals we replaced with homemade seals. It also has a nice carpet insulation. I’m not too fond of the front latches that attach to the windshield, but they work and it’s quiet inside At highway speeds

Reactions: Wildman and Mike_H
Helps I specifically wanted red for the new build. Your Jeep really does look great.
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a top echelon TJ owner. It will not be much more than a nice short arm build. I am willing to take it on any trail now, including Pritchett Canyon, JV, whatever. It’s actually difficult to say goodbye to the 33” world. I was kinda close to the top there. Now I’m just another TJ on 35’s. Glad you think it looks great. Almost everything I’ve done has been for function. Form has only played a secondary role in my decisions.

They both look great.
Thanks Rick. I really like their TJ. I think it looks awesome! I can’t wait to hit a good trail together. I think all they need for now is a front locker. They’ll have to go easy on it Since they don’t have front shafts.

Reactions: Wildman
Thanks, that means a lot coming from a top echelon TJ owner. It will not be much more than a nice short arm build. I am willing to take it on any trail now, including Pritchett Canyon, JV, whatever. It’s actually difficult to say goodbye to the 33” world. I was kinda close to the top there. Now I’m just another TJ on 35’s. Glad you think it looks great. Almost everything I’ve done has been for function. Form has only played a secondary role in my decisions.
Pritchett - TJFest 2022? I plan to do it again, hopefully with 2 jeeps.

Thanks Rick. I really like their TJ. I think it looks awesome! I can’t wait to hit a good trail together. I think all they need for now is a front locker. They’ll have to go easy on it Since they don’t have front shafts.

IMO you need to wait on any TAD's and let them learn to pick lines and drive with open diffs. Then as they start to learn how to choose a good line over a poor one you can start thinking about adding a TAD.
This is how I learned and I think it's the better way to learn how to 4wheel.