04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

$800? Did that include new cats from the manifold? Or did you install that?
That included installation of the front cats y-pipe and fabrication of rest and notching skid and muffler.

I think 6 hours is about what it took the shop to do my cat back in 2.5". But I also made them cycle the suspension and make minor adjustments. If they used 2" they could have done it in 4 hours I bet.
What's a northern Wisconsin hourly shop rate are you guys in the 125-140 range like out here?

What's a northern Wisconsin hourly shop rate are you guys in the 125-140 range like out here?

Probably a little lower. $80-100 isn't unheard of. I think I paid around $500 for my cat back tailpipe and a couple of bungs. Add to that renting a trailer and 8mpg for 600miles. I supplied all materials except for the pipe and did all of the skid notching myself. Not exactly cheap, but it was done right the first time.

I'm hoping I stick with 2.5" pipe for my LS so I don't have to redo that...

That included installation of the front cats y-pipe and fabrication of rest and notching skid and muffler.
I meant did they supply them? I supplied my muffler for my mid arm exhaust set up. From the cat to the muffler and out back was $190. No contact at full droop or full bump. They used all the stock mounting points on the frame with the stock hardware.

I meant did they supply them? I supplied my muffler for my mid arm exhaust set up. From the cat to the muffler and out back was $190. No contact at full droop or full bump. They used all the stock mounting points on the frame with the stock hardware.
I supplied the magnaflow y pipe / cats. That alone was $400+. I don't have any stock hardware left anywhere lol.

First wheeling day on complete midarm went great!! Couldn't really tell traction differences since I didn't do anything ultra challenging. But 2nd gear coming down the trail kind of fast pace my 5yo that always wheels with me and rides in back says, " Dad why is the jeep not bouncy?" So he really noticed the 4 link difference! It rides so good. The problem is now my rear rides better than the front again!! It's like a never ending teeter totter. So I have the LSC turned to softest setting and it just SOAKS up bumps it's wonderful but now my front coilovers are way too harsh. Need to reduce the HSC I think. Will keep wheeling this summer then think about a retune. Also should note I got a little scurred a couple times. The rear suspension flexes waaaay easier now so I kinda felt like I was rolling and piddled myself but got things back together and realized it's all good.

IMG_20200621_204434.jpg

Did I mention the midarms can flex pretty well?

Last edited:
Another good one. Also started building a sleeping platform in the Ford for this weekend's camp / wheel trip to Naches. SOOO much to pack and plan. I've never done a boys camping trip with my son (5yo) this should be rad. Going to drop the soft top and put on the sunshade and safari top. Also REALLY stoked to wheel with no spare!! This has been a big reason to get a trailer so I can ditch the spare.

IMG_20200621_204428.jpg

I think we had talked about transmission temps a while ago and I had mentioned my gauge hardly ever went above 100F.

Last weekend it was the hottest I've driven through after my build, 83F ambient and driving 55mph on the highway my cooler maintained 138F but if I stopped the temps kept climbing up past 150F. My sensor is after the cooler and not in the pan.

Anyway, just figured I'd update you.

I think we had talked about transmission temps a while ago and I had mentioned my gauge hardly ever went above 100F.

Last weekend it was the hottest I've driven through after my build, 83F ambient and driving 55mph on the highway my cooler maintained 138F but if I stopped the temps kept climbing up past 150F. My sensor is after the cooler and not in the pan.

Anyway, just figured I'd update you.

Thanks for the update, guess your days of worrying about 42RLE temps are nearing the end. :cry:

Your report points to my cooler temps on highway being normal. I actually meant to mention my own transmission temperature report from Sunday. I repeated the same wheeling hill that I did a month ago. A month ago my temp sender was in the external remote oil filter right BEFORE the cooler. This hill is not the highgest heating hill as i was in 4-lo but last time i stopped 2/3 of the way up the climb when i hit 220°F on the gauge. This time i hit 140-150°F. So things are notablly lower when measured at the oil pan and the good part is i see the temp actually stabilize. When i measuring pre cooler it seemed to keep escalating once it got hot. I have lots more testing to do watch to see if I need to add an extra elec fan cooler. This weekend temps are set to be 89° two of the days so I should get opportunity to watch the gauge go up.

Thanks for the update, guess your days of worrying about 42RLE temps are nearing the end. :cry:

Your report points to my cooler temps on highway being normal. I actually meant to mention my own transmission temperature report from Sunday. I repeated the same wheeling hill that I did a month ago. A month ago my temp sender was in the external remote oil filter right BEFORE the cooler. This hill is not the highgest heating hill as i was in 4-lo but last time i stopped 2/3 of the way up the climb when i hit 220°F on the gauge. This time i hit 140-150°F. So things are notablly lower when measured at the oil pan and the good part is i see the temp actually stabilize. When i measuring pre cooler it seemed to keep escalating once it got hot. I have lots more testing to do watch to see if I need to add an extra elec fan cooler. This weekend temps are set to be 89° two of the days so I should get opportunity to watch the gauge go up.
It is a chilly 91F here today. We are testing driving one on 40's to get it dialed in. It has 5.38's and it is an absolute dog so we are working the trans hard. It is a rock solid 180 on the gauge which is exactly where I expect it to be.

It is a chilly 91F here today. We are testing driving one on 40's to get it dialed in. It has 5.38's and it is an absolute dog so we are working the trans hard. It is a rock solid 180 on the gauge which is exactly where I expect it to be.
Thanks, thats what ill shoot for as maximum expected.

I'm sorry it's so cold there.

• Haha
Reactions: B00mb00m
Getting ready for my trip. Swapped out serp belt and idler and will pack an extra alternator. Built this sleeping situation in the back of the Ford. Should suffice till the camper money shows up (can I hear a stimulus round 2!?) 🤑🤑🤑

IMG_20200623_101640.jpg

Getting ready for my trip. Swapped out serp belt and idler and will pack an extra alternator. Built this sleeping situation in the back of the Ford. Should suffice till the camper money shows up (can I hear a stimulus round 2!?) 🤑🤑🤑

View attachment 171766
That's not a terrible way to go. We truck camped with a truck tent in JV for well over 10 years. Long enough that we wore out 3 truck tents. It gets cold out there so we had a propane heater in the tent and slept in the back of the truck on a mattress that fit perfectly between the wheel wells. Pretty comfy for what it was. I liked the truck tent because I could stand up in it to get dressed. I didn't like laying down on top of an ice cold sleeping bag and getting dressed when I was a kid and my distaste only got worse as I grew up.

Reactions: B00mb00m
Have fun this weekend over in Naches. What are you planning on running? Wave as you go past exit 93.
I have no idea yet, I'm waiting for directions. I'm tagging along with a group.

That's not a terrible way to go. We truck camped with a truck tent in JV for well over 10 years. Long enough that we wore out 3 truck tents. It gets cold out there so we had a propane heater in the tent and slept in the back of the truck on a mattress that fit perfectly between the wheel wells. Pretty comfy for what it was. I liked the truck tent because I could stand up in it to get dressed. I didn't like laying down on top of an ice cold sleeping bag and getting dressed when I was a kid and my distaste only got worse as I grew up.
I am bringing a Mr. buddy heater but it looks like a nice weather trip but we are at 3000' elevation so could get cold. What is a truck tent? One that fits in the bed or one of those cool roof top tents? Wait are you an overlander???

Reactions: Wildman
That's kind of awesome! With the truck canopy and that it would be pretty damn luxurious camp. I have a huge canvas family tent problem is it requires many stakes into the ground and we'll be camping on side of road area which is why im not bringing the tent.

Reactions: Wildman