04 LJK Repair, Redo, Recycle - The 3 R's of a First Build

Got the passenger side finished up, just got the tailgate to do then can drive the old gal in our probably last bit of summer whiich is this week (70's).

I believe my tub has been in multiple accidents. I bought it wrecked hit in driver rear quarter and I think it was repaired once before as well. I was a bit concerned about the tub rails not fitting but they snugged up well to the passenger side even though it is far from straight. I also added 3/8 aluminum backer since metal cloak doesn't add such amenities to their armor. The tub is weak and I hope this strenthens it up enough for me to keep dragging it against rocks for a while before I need a new tub. 😁

IMG_20200928_101237.jpg

IMG_20200928_102850.jpg

Got the rear wrapped up. Now this is where you guys can weigh in. When modifying the tub slider to not hit the exo gate it can be a challenge to make the slider look as good as it was originally designed, clean lines minimal visible fasteners etc.

So this is why I used the 1/4 plate extension on the slider so it would cleanly sit under exogate hinges matched by the exogate stiffener plate.

Now the disagreement that @mrblaine and I had was I consider this implementation to be in the category of "not terrible" and he argues that it falls in the category of "something not not terrible" which as you know given the nature of the category "not Terrible" leaves really only the alternative of terrible which I do not feel this qualifies for.

IMG_20200928_131614~2.jpg

IMG_20200928_131619~2.jpg

IMG_20200928_131623~2.jpg

Looks good to me but Blaine and my opinion on things can differ a lot sometimes. I'm sure there is something about that setup that would bother him but I'd call it good.

Looks good to me but Blaine and my opinion on things can differ a lot sometimes. I'm sure there is something about that setup that would bother him but I'd call it good.
There's a saying in skiing and boxing which is something to the effect of "look good are good" and it likely applies to all kinds of athletics. If you move gracefully in your sport / activity then you are probably look good and if you look good then youre doing your sport with grace and that means you are probably experienced and athletic.

I digress from the topic here because the same sentiments apply to engineering and load paths in general. If the lines of the part flow smoothly and are symmetric (typical attributes of beauty) then it's probably also a good and balanced load path.

I was basically busting my own balls previously but here is why my own design is "something else than not terrible":
1. Material thickness mismatch. 1/4" tab mated to 1/8" construction channel. That's not graceful, though I've explained my reasoning for doing so.
2. Non centered bolt hole. That's ugly but the reason I did it was because that was an existing hole in my corner armor.
3. Bolt is levered off the end of the channel. Again this was to pick up existing hole but it's not pretty and the bolt should really be immediately next to the channel.

Blaine is a good student of design and it shows in what he creates.

I humbly accept my evaluation of "something other than not terrible."

🤪

Reactions: Wildman
I get asked some gotdamn retarded questions, that's in the top 5.
Wow!! Seriously!?! I made top 5!??? At first I was stoked but now I'm thinking that's not a great award.... I admit I have some retarded moments but I'm struggling to see the reason.

For 3 weeks been trying to find someone to wheel with. It's been sunny beautiful and hood trail condish. Now the monsoons return and everyone is down for Walker Valley. It was GREAT!! Trailered to walker for the first time. It was pretty nice not having to commute the jeep to the trail,I must say.

Met @DaveF and snapped an LJ twinsies pic.

IMG_20201010_173245_584.jpg

This arrived today. Just to be clear it's a pipe dream solution to fixing the 42RLE but that being said if anyone can make the magic happen it's the BMB Wizard and he's making the potion.

The pipe dream is... Paddle shifters 🥰

IMG_20201103_131035.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: Apparition
I was messing with you. The core model is the 722.6, then set up for the Wrangler, W5A580, or NAG1.
My first thought was it was made up. No modern automatic transmissions have simple designations.

My only complaint with my 42rle is not having manual control of 1st and 2nd and even that is not a big deal.