05-06 stuck OPDA and maybe PCM issues?

I've was struggling with the P0344 code for a while. No obvious damage.to the cam itself. I tried all of the recommended fixes (except cam/timing chain/PCM replacement) with no luck so I decided to start from square one. The two most common recommended fixes were electrical issues or the air gap. I tried 3 different sensors...Crown, Napa and AIP...none out of the box solved. It did not have the original MOPAR sensor in it.

I took it to a "Jeep" shop to verify my diagnosis that there were no electrical/wire issues. This was confirmed and they put it on the scanner with the Napa
It ran without the code for about 250 miles. It threw the code again so I took it back and asked them to put it on the scanner with the Crown. Same result....250 miles before throwing the code.

I figure if it's running for a while the air gap is the next most likely culprit. I experimented different sensors and washer combos. The washer that came with the Crown OPDA, a few washers of varied increased thickness and no washer at all. Nothing worked with the Crown. I hit paydirt with the AIP and no washer at all. Since this seemed to work I didn't move on to the NAPA. Less of a gap is contrary to the more of a gap fix

It's been running good for 350 miles now....keeping fingers crossed. I read a few instances of the AIP working out of the box. It could be dumb luck that the the AIP worked. I noticed that all 3 sensors have a small blue paint dot (all same color) near the bolt hole area so I'm assuming that they are from the same manufacturer but with a different name on the box. It could be an indicator of quality control issues and tolerances in production. It's still just a short term success and not long enough to claim victory yet. But it is the longest I've gone without the code.

Reactions: imahnu
@GeorgeB Your situation sounds very similar to what mine was. Lets pray that the AIP sensor keeps it up! I'm on 2 years with my AIP sensor with zero issues since its been plugged in, even starting in single digit temps.

@GeorgeB Your situation sounds very similar to what mine was. Lets pray that the AIP sensor keeps it up! I'm on 2 years with my AIP sensor with zero issues since its been plugged in, even starting in single digit tempthays gre

@GeorgeB Your situation sounds very similar to what mine was. Lets pray that the AIP sensor keeps it up! I'm on 2 years with my AIP sensor with zero issues since its been plugged in, even starting in single digit temps.
That's great to hear...it's a frustrating issue to deal with. I'm hoping it sticks for both of us!

Reactions: imahnu
I've was struggling with the P0344 code for a while. No obvious damage.to the cam itself. I tried all of the recommended fixes (except cam/timing chain/PCM replacement) with no luck so I decided to start from square one. The two most common recommended fixes were electrical issues or the air gap. I tried 3 different sensors...Crown, Napa and AIP...none out of the box solved. It did not have the original MOPAR sensor in it.

I took it to a "Jeep" shop to verify my diagnosis that there were no electrical/wire issues. This was confirmed and they put it on the scanner with the Napa
It ran without the code for about 250 miles. It threw the code again so I took it back and asked them to put it on the scanner with the Crown. Same result....250 miles before throwing the code.

I figure if it's running for a while the air gap is the next most likely culprit. I experimented different sensors and washer combos. The washer that came with the Crown OPDA, a few washers of varied increased thickness and no washer at all. Nothing worked with the Crown. I hit paydirt with the AIP and no washer at all. Since this seemed to work I didn't move on to the NAPA. Less of a gap is contrary to the more of a gap fix

It's been running good for 350 miles now....keeping fingers crossed. I read a few instances of the AIP working out of the box. It could be dumb luck that the the AIP worked. I noticed that all 3 sensors have a small blue paint dot (all same color) near the bolt hole area so I'm assuming that they are from the same manufacturer but with a different name on the box. It could be an indicator of quality control issues and tolerances in production. It's still just a short term success and not long enough to claim victory yet. But it is the longest I've gone without the code.
I haven’t thrown the p0344 code again in about two weeks. Although I don’t go too high in RPMs because I’ve been driving within the city. I’m going to rest it out on the highway soon! I’ll definitely look into the AIP sensor.

I'm up to about 450 miles now without a code. It seems.with this issue what works for one doesn't work for all. A lot of times it's a temporary victory too.

Just to give an update. Everything was well.for the past 2 months with the sensor until a few days ago. Started throwing the P0016 and P0340 codes along with hard starting. Clearing the codes didn't work. I put in a NAPA Echelon sensor with no washer again, cleared the codes and there's been no codes since it's not a DD but i have been to make sure all is well.

I think this supports some of what we read about the issue. First, the scanning/relearning seems to help. Also, the aftermarket sensors only last a few months.

Keeping fingers crossed again ...

Hey yall! This is my first post so any advise on a better post would be great! I’ve been roaming this forum since I’ve bought the jeep and it’s been great so I decided to make an account!

Anyways, I bought a 05 lj a few months back and it has been a great experience so far. Just until I ran into this P0344 CEL. I’ve read about this quite a bit and I can’t seem to find any actual fix for it. (Correct me if I’m wrong) I have seen that some find exposed wiring which causes the issues. It can be the OPDA or the CPS sensor.

Since I got the P0344, I have been in limp mode. I also have a hard shift between 1 and 2nd gear. (I have the 42rle). Other than that the keep runs great.

I have tried a NAPA CPS sensor with no luck. I have found now wires exposed for a short bit I will look again.

My next issue is that I can not remove the old OPDA to install the crown unit. It seems to be rusted in. I did notice a ticking sound and feel from the OPDA in the jeep. The engine does have rust but it doesn’t seem like it causes any issues. Has anyone ever encountered this? Any fixes for this?

I also spoke to @Wranglerfix and I will be changing my PCM just in case but I will like to change the OPDA because if the issues it has caused to others. Any advice, please let me know. THANK YOU!
I've got an 06 Rubicon and after buying it immediately had problems with 02 sensor codes, hard shift from 1st to 2nd and having it not shift down into 1st and getting stuck in 2nd gear. After spending a bunch of time and money trying to fix the transmission and replacing a couple of 02 sensors I finally replaced the PCM from wranglerfix.com and the jeep has been running flawlessly since then. I have a couple thousand miles on it now and no CEL and the transmission shifts smooth every time. The hard shift first to second you are having makes me think the PCM. the '05 and '06 have a different design and this has been a problem with it. Check out wrangler fix and talk to Mark.