'06 A/C seems to work best at lower RPMs: is this a "thing" or do I just need a charge?

DeadStang

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
This is my latest LJ — had it a month or so. The A/C seemed reasonable when I bought it, but we ARE having a record heat wave and I took to Jeep out today...the A/C seemed fine at about 50-55mph, but driving home on the freeway (65-70mph), it got luke warm and I started worry about overheating the dog(!) as we aren't used to 109 degree heat in western Oregon. When I came off the freeway and drove my highway home, again at 55-ish, the A/C was markedly cooler again from the vents.

I have tossed on a set of '17 Rubicon wheels (maybe 31"?) with adapters and nothing else --it's an auto so it just idles along at 55mph (rpms "seem" a little too low IMO, but much larger tires, a lift, and regearing is in the works but aren't happening yet). So is this just symptomatic of the A/C needing a charge, or is this a TJ A/C thing? Truthfully, I don't use the A/C in my other TJs much so I haven't had this experience yet. None of my other cars have obvious air temperature fluxuations when driving.

Thanks.

You can't blast the A/C and drive in extreme temps in my experience. Engine temps tend to climb. If you are concerned about the A/C have it serviced at a reputable shop. Obviously keep an eye on your engine temps when it is solid triple digits.

Reactions: DeadStang
I compulsively watched the engine temp/gauge. It usually runs around 185-190-ish, but it climbed a bit and held — nothing scary or I would've kicked the heat on and tried to not kill the dog, lol!

I personally wouldn't work on the A/C. It requires some special equipment. Those charge kits aren't long term fixes in my opinion. I might get a new fan clutch in your situation for no rational reason at all. If that doesn't work I'd find a good A/C shop.

Sounds like you are keeping a good watch on temps. Replace the radiator cap because they are cheap and always way too old and don't worry until you are really close to red. Most people don't even look until the check gauges light goes on when it's pinned. You are way ahead of the game.

All you need to check the charge is a set of gauges which can be found as rental tools at some auto parts places. Nothing mysterious to it. FSM is available on this site.

All you need to check the charge is a set of gauges which can be found as rental tools at some auto parts places. Nothing mysterious to it. FSM is available on this site.
If the gauges show anything wrong you can't fix it, it requires evacuating the system so why check? That's my thought process.

Sure you can.

If it's only low on 134, it's easy to top it off.

If there are major issues, you can have it evacuated and fix it yourself easily. All the parts are available, vacuum pumps are available as rentals as well.

I've fixed R12, R134, converted R12 to R134.

I am taking it to the dealer (I know! But they seem to be doing fairly right by me as they are a small shop) next Friday for a full auto fluid service, etc. as a one-time new-to-me Jeep thing. Then I take care of the oil changes and *easier* stuff myself. I will have them look at the A/C system. This one is a higher mile Jeep than my others, and the auto fluid isn't as red as it should be and the tranny *seems* a little weaker than I like. Between the TJs, they all seem to run at a slightly different place on the gauges so I watch them. But I will replace the radiator cap tomorrow — just get one at Schuck's? Before the Jeep obsession, I drive '65-'69 Mustangs and always carried a laser temp gauge with me as the dash gauges in those old rides are notoriously unreliable unless you are lucky enough to find a NOS replacement and so I am a compulsive gauge watcher. Thanks for the help — I am having a lot of fun with the Jeeps!