1” MML and new track bar—do I need a new front track bar?

Rosco1216

I have recently installed a 2.5” OME lift, teraflex front quick disconnects, and steering conversion. Previous owner had installed a 2” spacer lift and 3”BL but I had have a heavy bumper and winch up front so the front springs were sagging quite a bit. Well the front was basically sagging to around stock height because the new 2” lift springs and .5” spacer ended up raising the front a full 2.5” over where it sat on stock springs and 2” spacer.

She tracks great with no wobble and only sometimes a little vibration when starting in first gear, more so if I’m starting at an incline. My question is do I NEED a new front track bar? Currently, chassis to outside tire lug is .5” further out on drivers side vs passenger.

Also, could I use a motor mount lift even if I’m not planning to do a tummy tuck? Of course I would like to gain a little bit of clearance, maybe 1”, on the skid but I’m not trying to completely tuck it and open up that process and $. What could I do that’s budget friendly and could gain 1-2” of clearance?

thanks!
C5CB3E3E-E54E-4DA3-BA53-6E51D2A49C1A.jpeg

007E5D23-9607-4C11-900B-6C92EE320870.jpeg

Last edited:
A MML couldn't hurt if you have slight vibes. You don't need an adjustable track bar unless the axle shifting 1/2" bothers you.
p.s. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm looking at with your steering "perversion". :unsure:

Last edited:
A MML couldn't hurt if you have slight vibes. You don't need an adjustable track bar unless the axle shifting 1/2" bothers you.
p.s. I'm still trying to figure out what I'm looking at.
Just trying to get a full view of the front track bar behind the tie rod and drag links.
No it doesn’t bother me as I assume 1/4” off from perfectly center wouldn’t be a major cause for concern?

is it safe to say the 1” mml can’t hurt or make anything worse? It could help with small vibes but there is there a chance it could cause something else that’s undesirable?

is it safe to say the 1” mml can’t hurt or make anything worse? It could help with small vibes but there is there a chance it could cause something else that’s undesirable?
It won't hurt anything, but you have to relocate the fan shroud if you don't have a BL. Simply drill 4 new holes.

I would flip the Bolt on the Steering dampener (axle side), around. Have bolt head facing forward, not the nut. That bolt could interfere with things.

As for the TB. You could always drill a new hole just slightly over to the driver side (on axle mount), to compensate for the .5" it is off

Removing that 3" BL would be my top priority right now. Replace it with a 1.25" Savvy BL and a Savvy or JKS 1" MML spacer and be done.

Yes yes I know! I could understand a body on a vehicle with IFS where it costs a lot more to do suspension vs body. But with a TJ, it doesn’t make sense IMO.
I'd stick to 1-1.25" for the body lift, that seems to be the max anyone recommends.

I’ll go with a smaller body lift for sure.

Anyone have advice on limited slip/ locker for the front? I have a 97 sport but it has the optioned Dana 44 rear w limited slip. 4.10 gears. Dana 30 up front is open so I would like to put something up there. Just don’t know what to go with that would pair up well with what I have in the rear.

I was debating updating gears to 4.88s but I have the 4.0 and manual and she doesn’t struggle on the highway so I don’t feel I really need to at this point.

I’ll go with a smaller body lift for sure.

Anyone have advice on limited slip/ locker for the front? I have a 97 sport but it has the optioned Dana 44 rear w limited slip. 4.10 gears. Dana 30 up front is open so I would like to put something up there. Just don’t know what to go with that would pair up well with what I have in the rear.

I was debating updating gears to 4.88s but I have the 4.0 and manual and she doesn’t struggle on the highway so I don’t feel I really need to at this point.
Based on what I have read here before I suspect the LSD will be beyond its life unless it has been renewed.
What is the budget for the front locker? That will influence the recommendarions you get.

Anyone have advice on limited slip/ locker for the front? I have a 97 sport but it has the optioned Dana 44 rear w limited slip. 4.10 gears. D

Powertrax 9204302700 No-Slip Traction System (DANA 30, 27 Spline Open)​

Who regeared it to 4.10? That wasn't an option.

Last edited:
The original owner did all that and listed a parts list that had 4.10 gears. I am the 3rd owner and my neighbor had it for 4 years before I got it. It was running 35’s before my neighbor bought it and traded those after his stroke.

It does have the 44 in the rear which was an option as of July 97. I assumed the 4.10 and lsd was as well but if you say that wasn’t an option back then then he must have added later.

Last edited:
It won't hurt anything. Most people have more than that off WITH an adjustable track bar.
Mine is spot on, Boog. Spot. On. Set and verified by laser.

(And yes, I know that I have problems...🙃)

OP, as was noted above, budget has a lot to do with locker selection. The best option is usually a full selectable, like an ARB, but it is also the most expensive, and requires extra “stuff” to operate it. So it’s not the right choice for everyone.

• Haha
Reactions: TheBoogieman
Mine is spot on, Boog. Spot. On. Set and verified by laser.

(And yes, I know that I have problems...🙃)

OP, as was noted above, budget has a lot to do with locker selection. The best option is usually a full selectable, like an ARB, but it is also the most expensive, and requires extra “stuff” to operate it. So it’s not the right choice for everyone.
I’m definitely not looking for the full, top end set up. I want something simple that will compliment my application. I drive it around town a lot when the weather allows and hit trails when I have time. Would like to take it Disney, Oklahoma this summer. It’s only an hour away from me.