15W40 Rotella T5 question

Been running 10W-30 for two years in AZ, no issues. I run Penzoil High mileage red bottle.

I have a friend who is pretty wise-

Had a transmission shop.

He checks oil level in every car so no issues happen on his watch.

A car was 3 quarts low.

He pours used oil in. A tech goes crazy - “man you can’t do that!”

Why not? It is better than the 3 quarts that are not in there.

Can’t argue - wouldn’t matter with him. He is hardcore.

#1 oil made is ENOUGH.

I have a friend who is pretty wise-

Had a transmission shop.

He checks oil level in every car so no issues happen on his watch.

A car was 3 quarts low.

He pours used oil in. A tech goes crazy - “man you can’t do that!”

Why not? It is better than the 3 quarts that are not in there.

Can’t argue - wouldn’t matter with him. He is hardcore.

#1 oil made is ENOUGH.

Back when I was a unemployed student, I had an old car that leaked transmission fluid badly. I put a pan under the car at night and each morning poured the fluid through a coffee filter and back into the tranny. I got another 6-months out of that car and surprisingly it wasn't the tranny that failed.

• Haha
Reactions: AndyG and BlueC
How do you know?

I was real poor and changed a flat cam outside on a 350,000 mile SBC 350 , I worked late into the night and got most of it back together. The next morning I finished assembly and went to put the old coolant back in. Of course during the night the wind blew a million miles an hour an I had a ton of leaves , pine needles , and dirt in my coolant drainpan. I tried to use a coffee filter , but glycol will fill a coffee filter and 2 drops will go through and the rest will never flow through it !

Pro tip : the cheapest paper towels you can buy are the hot set up for filtering crap , when you spent every dollar you have on cam , lifters , timing chain set and gaskets . :sneaky:

I don't know 'bout the T5 but I've heard that the T4 has all the vitamins and dinosaurs your flat tappet cam wants and needs.

Never really thought it would be too thick for a coffee filter! Good to know. I have heard to use cheese cloth or panty hose before. Never tried either of those myself. Well, not for coolant filtering anyways 😉

Reactions: ColoJeep
Are you concerned because this is a fresh engine? If so and you want elevated ZDDP for that reason, then run Valvoline VR1.

That is great oil and comes in several varieties, it scored very high on the wear protection tests.

Reactions: BlueC